gen 2 kick starter issues

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
bpst1

gen 2 kick starter issues

Post by bpst1 »

I just finished my 2000 cr250 conversion. The only thing I’m having issues with is the stock 1991 cr500 kick starter doesn’t stop on the foot peg. It hits the case first. I was wondering how I could fix this problem.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

what year motor, what kicker (500 or 250)?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

Its a 1991 cr500 engine and 1991 cr500 kick starter
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

how did you do the conversion? keep stock lower mounts? move Y up, or stretch, what swingarm bolt spacing did you do? 6mm+4mm?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

I kept the stock lower mounts, cut the y to clear , the spacers are close to the 6MM+4MM
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

can you snap a pic of the problem so we can see exactly what you are talking about?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

how do you upload pics? Image
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

upload them to a pic hosting site, then link them.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

Is this what you ment?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

kinda, but you have to link directly to a pic (.jpg or .gif)
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

ImageImage
I hope these pics help
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Show a pic of it hitting or are you talking about it being close when it's returned?
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Weld a block onto the footpeg that the KS can key into. I do this to any bike I've had as even OEM usually let the lever get trashed by the FP. Or the peg gets trashed by the lever

This is even more important as you can break the case/flog out the KS shaft on the outer case - the std 500 lever has a shitload of leverage going into those areas.

Your Pics don't give a good idea of KS/ peg interface - looks like could be either on/near 1st angled section back in from back of peg, or perhaps just the first 10mm of back of peg.

Fold the peg up to see limitation on stopper block when peg up to frame, you don't want to loose peg fold up or gouge frame. Work that out & area of KS to peg interface. Get steel block ,
at least twice as wide & deep as you think it will need to be, take the time to contour it to the KS arm ( no gouges if you do this - better all around ) then, with the block against the arm ,
gradually file/grind front of the block to fit flat on the back of FP, when perfect, mark top & sides of block placement on back of FP, remove peg, TIG on. Perfection :cool: .

My lowered & extended outward std pegs have 3 tiny curved/angled blocks on them , each to suite std 500, CRF450 and Gas Gas short lever. The KTM pegs I use have only the one block, to suite
the Short GG lever that I really only ever use. I have a 89 CR125 lever, that when fitted to the 450 knuckle is that tiny it fits in bum bag for multi day events when I'm paranoid about the small pivot pin
on the GG finally breaking ( I use a Rekluse so no bump starting without putting an extra plate in to lock it up )- impossible to put block on peg with that without loosing FP pivot distance, so I have a
small alloy plate with rubber between it & case bolted to Clutch cover - doubt I would ever need it but do not want to risk case damage if I do.
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

the kickstarter in the pic is hitting the case.
the block on the foot peg would probably work the best. It looks as though it will need to stick out nearly an inch to give the KS some room from the case. taking off of the idea of welding onto the foot ped, I was wondering if i could also weld a small block onto the kick starter as well as the ped. does anyone know if welding onto a kickstarter will weaken it or not?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

that kicker looks weird to me, like its slightly bent out of shape, maybe you just need a new kicker.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

that's pretty close to the footpeg, I vote weld on a tab to the peg.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Don't weld the KS.

Looks like stop on KS or on knuckle is worn enough so the KS is rotating to far - correct that with weld on knuckle stop & file. Try to end up with the foot of the KS at right angles ( or indeed pointing very slightly to the rear of bike ), less foot slipping off the lever dramas.

Perhaps the KS lever bore is flogged out.

A block at the rear of the peg, done properly, won't interfere with your foot on the peg, rock clearance, peg fold up angle. And it will be a lot smaller than you think if you do it properly. Who gives a damn if there is a funny looking stub on the back of the peg. A hell of a lot better than a broken case. Nearly every conversion I've seen misses out on this key detail of a decent KS stop - and , indeed , most OEM stops are piss poor. Drives me f**king nuts to see that sort of thing.

If you want I can put some pics up.
ktm 620

a

Post by ktm 620 »

some pics intrested to see wat you oninaboght
02 crf 450 curently being convertid in to 500af
ktm660lc41994
alfer vr 250 enduro 2001 small spanish make wat a unbelevable bike
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Here's some pics - the bike stand is mounted on a castor wheeled base so I can scoot the bike(s) between all my machinery/bikes etc- makes life a lot easier! A KS stop may be a small thing but if you have done a AF or any bike, why not attend to the smaller details? - this detail can save you expensive repair bills. Sorry about dodgy 'phone pics.

Image KTM peg with KS stop on 500.
Image Gas Gas lever (with extended foot piece - no slip, no trashed boot sole, easy to find with your foot on or off bike) showing KTM peg with KS stop Plus case protector for when 89 CR125 (with CRF450 knuckle) lever is used.
Image KS about to hit peg stop - stop contoured to fit lever perfectly - you can see how short Gas Gas lever is. Needed for knees that don't bend past 90 degrees.
Image CR500 peg lowered by 32mm, achieved by: moving spring spigot, then placing a 20mm thick block that "gull wings" pegs down & outwards - The variety of blocks on the back of the peg shown suite std 500 , CR450f & Gas Gas levers and do not interfere with rider or bike.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

i know this isnt a fix but i tried a 06 crf 450 kick starter last night off my old mans bike and it fits perfectly tucks up nicely under the frame
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I've used all sorts of 250 and 500 kickers and never had this problem on gen-1, 3 and 4 bikes, they is something wrong with your kicker... service honda $75 :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

My old kicker would rub the brake pedal and hit the case just like your, bought a brand new kicker and it no longer touches.
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF