Gen III CR500 Build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
alcrook26

Gen III CR500 Build

Post by alcrook26 »

G'day all,
Just thought id post some pics up of my alloy conversion. I bought a gen III crf "rolling chasis" the other day and am in the process of putting it together. The donor bike is a 98 Cr500.

Donor 500

Missing its motor

My "rolling chassis"
Just a word of warning for anybody importing stuff into Australia. It takes half a day for you to run around the airport to get everything signed and cleared, plus another $400 or so bucks.

G III CRF 450 frame

Got some more work to do this weekend. Will post more pics up as the project progesses.[/img]
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

bout time al been waiting to see how the mps frame looks
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
racein01

Post by racein01 »

I thought your name was familar.... from ADB forum... before they shut them down...pricks
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

looks good to me. not sure why they had to put those stupid towels over it.
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Just put some time in on the bike in the shed. Took some time to locate a die grinder. One of the welds was stopping the motor from sitting in properly. Once I shaved the weld ever so slightly the motor sat in nicely.
Heres some picks with more to follow. BTW where are all the old ADB website guys going to these days???
other

Post by other »

Is that a WA rego plate on the donor ? If so, I assume it's a B class ?
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

is a b class rego a rv licence
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
alex500

Post by alex500 »

Looks like a Victorian Recreational Rego.
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Yeah guys, its a victorian rec rego. Going to have to go through the process again when this is finished though.
Got some time to put some more parts on. Had to lengthen the wiring from the CDI unit and threw on some other parts.
Im up to changing the tank shape. Any hot tips wouldnt go astray at the moment.
Not tearing down my own CRF450 and doing my own pods is giving me the shits at the moment. Just small things, not all bolts included etc, not sure how things are supposed to line up. Having real trouble getting the front caliper to line up for some unknown reason. Wierd cause everything looks right. Heres some photos anyway.
Gotta get some goodies to finish her off. Just wondering what gearing people are using. I noticed that the standard gearing on my 98 steelie was way to tall for slower single trail that I like riding. Not much of a fire trial bandit. I was thinking a 13/50 or so.
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Rolling chassis for sale. Anybody interested its on ebay as well.
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Youl need valcro grips if you go 13/50 thats moto cross gearing, she'll run out of legs real quick.... :shock:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

looks real nice al but have to agree with astroid go 14/46 or 48 still pulls hard and havnt ran out of legs in the bush yet and i mx with that gearing to
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Hey Gregrobo,
I ran that gearing 14/46 in that 4hr enduro in Katherine a few weeks ago on my 97 CR250....fuk me, how fast was i on the open plains, you could her me yelling at the 450's to get out of the way & i had a brief 2-3 km run with Roostmaster before he got in front of me & bowled a milkcrate strait on the end of my nose....AAARRRRRRHHHHHooouuuccccchhhhhh

Any way 14/46-48 is a more sedate gearing for your 500 :twisted:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Asteroid500 is always cracking me up..LOL bowling mikcrates at ya. lolol

I have an MPS frame and it has been ok. Watch the headstay as i broke mine in half twice. Finally had a friend with a CNC mill me up a complete billet piece and that fucker hasnt broke.

I also had hairliine cracks forming around the "y" that had to be rewelded and reinforced. I will try to get some pics tonight when i get home.

Watch the welds the first few times you ride, and especially after slamming down on a big jump or something like that. FYI
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Found out why the front wasnt lining up properly. I was given th wrong axle and spacer!!! Starting to wish I had have waited for a 450 roller to convert myself rather than buying MPS.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

kdizzle wrote:
I have an MPS frame and it has been ok. Watch the headstay as i broke mine in half twice.

I also had hairliine cracks forming around the "y" that had to be rewelded and reinforced.
Thats "ok"? Sounds like a piece of shit that I would have sent back to MPS
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

alcrook26 wrote:Just put some time in on the bike in the shed. Took some time to locate a die grinder. One of the welds was stopping the motor from sitting in properly. Once I shaved the weld ever so slightly the motor sat in nicely.
Heres some picks with more to follow. BTW where are all the old ADB website guys going to these days???
Looks great just your head stay needs a back and forth stay or your motor will vibrate
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

nice al not to much more to do
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i had that same front brake issue, check the caliper floats and isnt on a angle,the things with rubber boots on them
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Just finished re-lacing the wheels. I had the rims anodised and the hubs powdercoated. Wasnt that hard to re-lace either. Just took my time and everything lined up. Took a while to get it to run true.
Exhaust system in place now, but had to re-weld some brackets as typically for my MPS frame, they have some great ideas but things dont always line up properly. Off to the plastic welders tomorrow to sort out my fuel tank issues.
BTW that was the hardest rear tyre to fit... EVER!!
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Nearly finished, just got the airbox mod to go. Waiting on parts from the US to turn up. Dont think Ill get it done before christmas though. Pretty happy with it at the moment, started first kick after about six months of sitting there motionless.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Looks really nice good job. Can someone tell me what "MPS" frame means?
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

nice ride al they are worth the wait
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
scooter5002

MPS

Post by scooter5002 »

MPS: Maumee Power Sports in outskirts of Toledo Ohio. The place where I had my conversion done. Not the least bit happy with it and had nowhere near the luck putting it together that al did. Mine was a complete piece of shit and had to pay someone else to straighten the original mess out. Because no way in hell was it going back to that clown. If you want someone to do it for you, sounds like Solid or Roosty are good options depending which side of the US/Cdn border you are on. Sorry if forgot any other guys. God forbid you want to go the MPS route they are on the web. MPS500AF.com maybe?
RobC

Re: MPS

Post by RobC »

scooter5002 wrote:MPS: Maumee Power Sports in outskirts of Toledo Ohio. The place where I had my conversion done. Not the least bit happy with it and had nowhere near the luck putting it together that al did. Mine was a complete piece of shit and had to pay someone else to straighten the original mess out. Because no way in hell was it going back to that clown. If you want someone to do it for you, sounds like Solid or Roosty are good options depending which side of the US/Cdn border you are on. Sorry if forgot any other guys. God forbid you want to go the MPS route they are on the web. MPS500AF.com maybe?
Thanks, I just noticed he bought the frame already fabbed up. Didn't notice that when I asked the question. Looks like the quality control got a little better since you bought yours.