Is anyone still building Gen-1's?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
towman910

Is anyone still building Gen-1's?

Post by towman910 »

I haven't got my '90 steelie running yet. Needs a top end and it'll be ready to go. I've been planning a bunch of ergonomics changes to the frame to get where I want it for my height and weight (6'5'', 300lbs and slowly falling). I haven't done any of this yet, as my priority has been to get the motor running first. The thing is, my neighbor just told me about a guy with a '97 250 that he's letting go cheap. I know it needs a rear wheel, but that's about all I know about it.

Looking further, I've found that there is a whole bunch more aftermarket stuff available for that chassis. Nobody makes drop pegs for the steelie, I'll actually be able to get springs heavy enough for me, whereas for the steelie I'd just be getting the heaviest they have and trying to drop enough weight off my gut for the bike, and would still have the pretty poor '90 suspension. Also, I can get a taller seat without any trouble. That stuff alone is enough to make me want to do it.

I guess what I'm asking is should I do this? It'll be my first AF conversion, I hear Gen 1's are the easiest, but should I keep looking and find something a little more modern if I'm going to take the plunge? I ask because I don't see too many guys on here building Gen-1's anymore, and I don't know if there's a good reason for it that I don't know about. Does anyone still have one of the Gen-1 kits that were for sale awhile back? I'm not a machinist like many of the guys on here, nor do I know one, so I'll probably end up hacking it together somehow if I try it without some kind of kit. I think I've seen that you can keep the 250 coil, so I guess I'd just need the swingarm spacers, motor mounts, and headstay, along with a pipe and silencer.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gen 1's are still sweet.

Jay Lewis loves his, an he's a big dude...
towman910

Post by towman910 »

yeah, I just read through his build thread, and I think I'm getting more convinced by the minute that it's a good idea. A big plus for convincing the wifey to let me do it is that I can part out what I don't need from the 250 and the steelie and probably end up with more money than I started with. The guy who owns the A/F I'm looking at is every budget-minded guy's best friend. A rich kid who just wants to get rid of the thing and doesn't care that he could make more money parting it out or fixing it before he tries to sell it. I think it's time to take a walk over to my neighbor's house and get this guy's number...
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

AlisoBob wrote:Gen 1's are still sweet.

Jay Lewis loves his, an he's a big dude...
I love em
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
DitchWitch

Post by DitchWitch »

I have a gen 1 that someone did a shit job on so Im redoing it this winter, but Im 6' and 250lbs and I love it, I use it for trail work and I think its the best thing ever, its perfect for me. Rob at East Valley Precision is puting together some kits at the moment, if you are keen to do it, try to contact him from the info below and see if he can sort you out.

East Valley Precision LLC

Robert C. Lyons

5248 S. Delaware Dr. Bldg B.

Apache Junction, Arizona 85220

Phone: 480-288-6601

Fax: 480-288-6605

rob@evpweb.com
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I'd do a gen 1 and not think twice about it.
It's by far better than a steeile, eh? And who gives a shit about those 1st gen bashers anyway.

Go for it...it'd be a cool ride when it's done.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

no one has really said anything bad about gen-1s since SOF left :lol: they makes bitchen bikes and are pretty easy to convert.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

dannygraves wrote: they makes bitchen bikes and are pretty easy to convert.
That's why I'd do one.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I dont like the seat.... really narrow for my fat azz...... Thats about the only thing wrong....
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

There was some talk that the 1st gen is asthetically a bigger bike than the newer ones.
Is this true?
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
towman910

Post by towman910 »

As expected, well-thought-out, helpful responses, you guys rock. :)

I'm definitely gonna go for it if the A/F bike isn't a total heap. Reading through some of the build threads, I think I'd just get the motor mounts and spacers from the kit, and fab up a two-piece headstay myself.

As for the narrow seat, I do a LOT of mountain biking on a hardtail bike (no rear suspension), so I'm not too worried about that. It can't be narrower or harder than my bicycle seat.

I'm pretty sure the 250 is a '97. Is that in the range of years that you can bolt up the stator and flywheel into a 500? If so, I'll definitely have to try it out and see how I like it. :twisted:

Also, the neighbor who told about this bike said that the rear rim is broken. I'm guessing the wheel off my steelie won't bolt up, but I should be able to de-lace my 18'' rim and lace it up to the '97 hub, right? I think I'd rather have an 18'' wheel anyway for the strength.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

While all "Gen 1's"... the '97 dosent have some of the refinements of the 98'-99' like rubber bushed handebars and the better forks.

Their everywhere, hold out for a '99
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

'97 also has a unique subframe to that year and the subframe tends to crack/bend/break.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
towman910

Post by towman910 »

Well, it may actually BE a '98, I'm not exactly sure yet.

Good to know, though. With the price I'm led to believe he wants for it, ($400 and it runs) I think I'm gonna go for it anyway. I'm not that picky about suspension, and anything that era will be better than my steelie.

Plus if I can get it this cheap, parting the two bikes out will probably put me in a position where I basically have a free 500A/F.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Not only a narrow seat, but rock hard as well. SDG can fix that though and if you can get past the hockey stick side panels, you are good to go.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, the seat isn't very comfy and neither are the forks, they are a little harsh.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

hockey sticks rule ! NOT :D
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

100hp honda wrote:hockey sticks rule ! NOT :D
Hater :lol:
towman910

Post by towman910 »

Exnav wrote:Not only a narrow seat, but rock hard as well. SDG can fix that though and if you can get past the hockey stick side panels, you are good to go.

Certainly don't mind the plastic, and I'm gonna be putting a tall seat on it anyway.

Unfortunately, CRs aren't as plentiful here in New England as I imagine they are out west, so I don't think I'll be too picky. If I'm anything like the rest of the members here, it's just the first of many bikes anyway, so it'll be a learning experience if nothing else. :)
towman910

Post by towman910 »

New development: he sold it last week. The kid who bought it only gave him $100 deposit, though, and he'll call me if the buyer doesn't come through.

Fingers crossed that the other guy's a deadbeat!
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

I'm 5'6" and 180lbs. I love my 97 Gen 1. fits perfectly. significant suspension work is required though.

I have had to weld the subframe in the past. danny is right about that too.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

gen-1s make a killer dunes bike though, they are very stable in the soft stuff and the harsh suspension and super stiff frame are great in the sand. because of the steering angle and offset then don't fall in ruts/tracks like the newer ones which is nice in the dunes, but sucks on an mx track.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

ive owned and still own an emaculate 97-CR250,i went from an 96-CR250,steelie that was the sweetest thing to ride to this hard as a rock AF monster but i found that a few suspension tweaks and i found it very easy to ride and to this day i prefer it over many of the latest and greatest bikes availible today.

i race MX, flat track, and 3 hr enduro all with the one bike.
(till the 99-500AF is finished)

As far as the hard seat goes try standing up more offten you fat bastards.
:lol:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

'97 also has a unique subframe to that year and the subframe tends to crack/bend/break.
per d. graves

should i use my 99 125 sub frame then?
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
Jimmah

Post by Jimmah »

towman,
I'm in NH and might have a 01 CR250 frame, swinger, and sub frame soon. Titled for the street. I'm swapping everything else over to a 02 chasis. Also watch craigslist like a hawk, I scored a 03 cr250 with a bum engine for $400 that my 500 is going into. You need to be ready to pounce on those though cause they usually only last a day.
1999 CR500 Steelie to AF project
2001 CR250
2002 XR80R
2005 CRF50
2006 CRF150F
2006 CRF450X
2008 CRF50