remember this guys kx500

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
conrod

remember this guys kx500

Post by conrod »

Who remembers MetalMan1011 over at thumpertalk who was doing a KX500 conversion into a new type steel framed KX250, he called it a KX500AF, and the thread went all to hell with comments about bird shit welding and stuff. Well here is the guy on u-tube with his finished bike, and it looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixhd_GjS ... ed&search=

And this link below is Metalmans thread on completing the bike, this thumpertalk link seems to go to a shortened version of the thread, and so it's better to login and do a search for KX500AF and look for the “MetalMan1011” threads to get all the pictures and other video links. The old original thread with armpump is still there and will come up with the search, there are only 3 kx500af threads from metalman so easy enough to find.

www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.ph ... ht=kx500af

So who's for crow pie?

Conrod
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Quote from Metalman....

"So a couple months ago I posted up my KX500/KX250F conversion......Anyways, since then I've done alot of work to it and I finally got it done today ."

I would take this to read....

" I cut out all that shitty work I did before, are re-did it to an acceptable level of craftsmanship"

:birthday:
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Another acceptable use for the kx500 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ddw6zP8F4E
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

AlisoBob wrote:
I would take this to read....

" I cut out all that shitty work I did before, are re-did it to an acceptable level of craftsmanship"

:birthday:

:lol:
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

QUAL - A - TEE!

Yes, this is the real bike in question....

My comments...

"Look.... my name is Bob, and I joind your board just to post in the thread.... its that important.

About 2 years ago over at CR500riders.com we had a member named "Spike" who basically put a CR500 engine into a moped frame ( Derbi 50cc) for use as a SuperMoto bike. He shared many things in common with MetalMan.....
1. Young
2. Bold
3. Impatient

One thing he does not share with M.M. is that Spike is now dead.

Was it a riding accident? maybe....Did is home constructed creation with questionable frame mods , tiny brakes, pinched control cables, and other issues fail him at the worst possible time? More likely...

The point is I was the only member who disagreed with both his vision, and the way he went about it. I was told by Spike to shut my trap and consistantly flammed by the chreeleaders ( As A/P has been flammed here) right up to the point of Spikes death, and then guess what? The cheerleaders became strangely silent. Clipity should remember, he was one of the Cheerleaders which may of prompted his involvement in this thread too.

I heard many of the same points then as I do now....." Old Man" " Jealous" " If you cant support him, shut the "F" up".... etc..etc...

The reasons for these web groups to exist is for opinions to be shared. The old guys were once 18 too, and know the excitment in creating something. They can also see ( because they have been there) an accident waiting to happen. It would be much easier for him to sit back and shut up , I commend A/P for being involved going against the grain on this one.

My advice? Metalman, consider this a 100% mock-up to make sure everything fits... now disassemble the bike and take it to a known fabrication shop to have them inspect your structural design and correct any attachment issues before you powercoat and reassemble.

This performance of this bike may be incredible, shouldnt the safety of it match?"

I still stand by them....
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I remember that piece of shit frame... :rotfl:
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Do have the links to the moped build? I'd be interested in seeing how that shit went down, and what the bike was like. Or any pics of said moped?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ported&Polished wrote:Do have the links to the moped build? I'd be interested in seeing how that shit went down, and what the bike was like. Or any pics of said moped?

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod/di ... sgq17/CR5/
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

That moped looks like one of those $1299.99 New in crate CRF clones.
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
conrod

Post by conrod »

Well from what I can gather from the guys thread over there, he made a 1/8 steel plate as suggested by good old Iggy in the original thread and welded that in place, then heat treated the whole frame. It's in his opening statement.

Here was iggy's suggestion….

" Metal, get yourself a piece of cromemoly about an 1/8" thick, make a plate shaped like the front of the frame with a hole in it to match the whole for the pipe. Make the outside about a 1/4" smaller all around the edges, then weld it on the front. This will add to the strenght of the frame. Before you weld the plate on, grind down all the high spots on the front first."

So he made the bike and has been running it for a while now so it was Armpump that I had in mind to make up some crow pie and post it over there in the guys thread. Sort of man up and say "ok well done kid" you got it done in spite of me and all my gang beating on you.

conrod