Tires

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
JBaze

Tires

Post by JBaze »

What kind of tires are you guys running on hard pack? My AF has a Dunlop but just from going around my little track, I have managed to tear off almost half the knobbies. I used to run the IRC Volcanduro's back in the day, they held up great. What is everyone using now? Thanks
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

756 dunnies
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
MICK

Post by MICK »

You're in Washington right? I also used the Volcanduros with alot of success in the Pacific NW. Then I went to Bridgestones, which didn't seem to hook up or last anylonger...but cost more. Then I tried the Dunlop 756s and have pretty much not gone back. Traction I feel is awsome, but they don't last long either. I figure a tire isn't that expensive, but the ability to put the 500s power to the ground is a daunting task. One I think should be undertaken by a tire that hooks up best over a tire that lasts longer. Obviously a very opinionated view, your mileage may vary. I've thought about trying some 756RRs, but I don't believe they come in a larger size than 110? If you want to see more life from a tire always match the tire compound to the terra firma you plan to ride. The 739s will last a good deal longer than the 756s where you are.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

MICK wrote:You're in Washington right? I also used the Volcanduros with alot of success in the Pacific NW. Then I went to Bridgestones, which didn't seem to hook up or last anylonger...but cost more. Then I tried the Dunlop 756s and have pretty much not gone back. Traction I feel is awsome, but they don't last long either. I figure a tire isn't that expensive, but the ability to put the 500s power to the ground is a daunting task. One I think should be undertaken by a tire that hooks up best over a tire that lasts longer. Obviously a very opinionated view, your mileage may vary. I've thought about trying some 756RRs, but I don't believe they come in a larger size than 110? If you want to see more life from a tire always match the tire compound to the terra firma you plan to ride. The 739s will last a good deal longer than the 756s where you are.
I check them out. Can a person even get the IRC's anymore? I have looked a little, but have had no luck.
MICK

Post by MICK »

Yes, here's the official website: www.irc-tire.com/mce/

I haven't bought them in awhile so I don't know who the good distributors are. I ran the 110/100-18 VE-40s on my KX200 and 380MXC. They wore real well and hooked up good. For the money I think they are a way better buy than the 120/100-18 Bridgestone ED78s. The ED78s didn't hook up any better regardless of their larger footprint nor did they last any longer either. But cost 50% more.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Michelin S-12 140/80 18 is my favorite so far.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I have been seaching, aparently I am going to have to lace up an 18" rim or just buy another. I'm not real thrilled with the selection of 19" tires, but I might give the VE40 a shot very reasonable through Bikebandit.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

britincali wrote:Michelin S-12 140/80 18 is my favorite so far.

You can fit a 140 on your AF? :? I have a 110 on mine right now and it doesn't look like there's room for alot more.
britincali

Post by britincali »

The sizes arent realistic, the 140 in a michelin aint much bigger than a 120 dunlop.

Last edited by britincali on December 9th, 2008, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

britincali wrote:The sizes arent realistic, the 140 in a michelin aint much bigger than a 120 dunlop.
I miss the old days when sizes were like 5.30/18 ect. I am gonna go to the shop and look at them first hand then just order them from the net.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

I run either a IRC M5B or Dunlop 952 The 952 is a all terrain compound....
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

pstoffers wrote:I run either a IRC M5B or Dunlop 952 The 952 is a all terrain compound....

How do you like the they wear? I have been out of this for a while and don't want to go piss the money away on a tire that will only last for one ride. I got suckered into that with sidewinder shit years ago, and spent 2X what they wanted for generic steel and RK O-ring chain, the shit lasted one race!
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

JBaze wrote:
pstoffers wrote:I run either a IRC M5B or Dunlop 952 The 952 is a all terrain compound....

How do you like the they wear? I have been out of this for a while and don't want to go piss the money away on a tire that will only last for one ride. I got suckered into that with sidewinder shit years ago, and spent 2X what they wanted for generic steel and RK O-ring chain, the shit lasted one race!

The IRC don't last long but work great. The 952 last well and is a good tire. But what tire last very long on a 500 :whoop:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Yeah you ain't BS'ing there!
MICK

Post by MICK »

britincali wrote:The sizes arent realistic, the 140 in a michelin aint much bigger than a 120 dunlop.
Yup, in terms of footprint. What sets Brits tire apart from mine is the sidewall = Rim protection / flat prevention.
Brits 18"
My 2.50x19"
Notice how the either edge of the tire doesn't bow much inwards where the shoulder knobs become useless but at extreme lean angles.
JBaze wrote:I got suckered into that with sidewinder shit years ago, and spent 2X what they wanted for generic steel and RK O-ring chain, the shit lasted one race!
My sprocket and NON o-ring chain are almost five years old. God knows how many rides and over a dozen races rain and shine. Intensive care makes all the difference in the world.
Last edited by MICK on December 9th, 2008, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

I picked up a Maxxis Maxx Cross 110-90 / 19 from a local shop and it seems to be holding up fairly well. I hooks up great on most all surfaces on a MX track and I don't seem to have any traction problems on flat, hard-pack turns. This is the first one I've ever run and the only reason I bought it was they were asking $45 less than they wanted for a Dunlop 756. It's got over a dozen practice ride days on it and the knobs are still fairly sharp. This is on a '02 CRF450R framed CR500.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off ... -Rear.aspx
Last edited by jbird_710 on December 9th, 2008, 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'87 CR500R / (2) '01 CR500R / '02 MPS CR500R AF / '06 XR650R / '06 XR650L / '01 XR400R / '01 FLHTCUI / '04 CRF 450R / '84 CR500R / '89 Transalp /'05 CRF450X / '02 XR200R
Jay Birdsong

Don't you know about the Bird?
britincali

Post by britincali »

OOps I forgot about that, I swapped and 18" on.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Is that the VE 40 on your bike Mick? I like the design of that tire. Ever since my Sidewinder experience I have run Sunstar steel sprokets and RK O-Ring. Most times the Chain/sprocket combo out lasts the bike!
MICK

Post by MICK »

No it's the 756. The VE-40s had a really distinctive pattern to them.

When it comes to chains and sprockets, a guy has just got to run what he can afford. I don't preach about Sidewinders stuff. It's expensive. How you managed to lay waste to a Sidewinder combo in one race is beyond me?? But at the same time I don't suspect many riders take as much care of their drive components as I do. I can't explain why? I guess it just boils down to bragging rights...I talk mad shit to my friends because my stuff has lasted as long as theirs and my bike still pushes like a bicycle. MINIMUM DRAG BABY!!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Those sprokets bob runs are the shit

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I try to take good care of it. But back then I was way hard on my stuff. Now theres no money in it to tear up your gear. I like the looks of that 756 though.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

britincali wrote:Those sprokets bob runs are the shit
What's Bob run?
britincali

Post by britincali »

I think therre called ironman, pm him :wink:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
MICK

Post by MICK »

:hijacked:
I've got a 52t Ironman in the garage right now. I expect them to last every bit as long as the Sidewinders but they're half the weight which is awsome! Tried a couple different gearing combos to see what I liked. Hindsight I really needed to run my gearing tests with some cheap ass aluminum sprockets :bash: I don't know what I was thinking?

Ironically I'm sticking to a 14/49 combo. It's amazing what trimming some fat off the engine will do! I may have a 15t and 52t Ironman to give away if anybody is interested. My riding pals got first dibbs but if they don't want it it's anybody's.
:offtopic:

And now back to our regular scheduled programming...
britincali

Post by britincali »

15/52 is almost identical to 14/49, why not keep 'em?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok