Gen 3 CR125 Build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
robertg

Gen 3 CR125 Build

Post by robertg »

I just picked up a 2004 CR125 rolling chassis for $950.00, and a 98 CR500 motor for the same price. I can't really do anything yet until my motor is shipped to me. Hopefully I will get it next week.

I really wanted to start with a Gen 3 CR250 but this bike came up and it was priced right.

I am a little concerned about the clearance between the front tire and the pipe. I read that a 20" front tire, and 24mm offset triple clamps help with the clearance problems. What offset is a stock 2004 CR125 triple clamp?

I just ordered a FMF Gnarly, I thought it would have better power delivery than the Pro Circuit, for the type of riding that I do.

Is any of the two pipes better for tire clearance?

I also have to buy a PWK carb. Should I get an Airstriker or does it matter?

The rear wheel of the 125 is a really skinny 19". I will have to get a wider rim. Should I get an 18" or 19"?

Image[/img]
Balaclava

Re: Gen 3 CR125 Build

Post by Balaclava »

robertg wrote:I just picked up a 2004 CR125 rolling chassis for $950.00, and a 98 CR500 motor for the same price. I can't really do anything yet until my motor is shipped to me. Hopefully I will get it next week.

I really wanted to start with a Gen 3 CR250 but this bike came up and it was priced right.

I am a little concerned about the clearance between the front tire and the pipe. I read that a 20" front tire, and 24mm offset triple clamps help with the clearance problems. What offset is a stock 2004 CR125 triple clamp?

I just ordered a FMF Gnarly, I thought it would have better power delivery than the Pro Circuit, for the type of riding that I do.

Is any of the two pipes better for tire clearance?

I also have to buy a PWK carb. Should I get an Airstriker or does it matter?

The rear wheel of the 125 is a really skinny 19". I will have to get a wider rim. Should I get an 18" or 19"?
i think it's 24mm stock,
get the GNARLY, but pro circuit is probably better for tire clearance...
don't need an airstriker...(i don't think)
get the 18''rim!!!

i think that's right...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

the only problem with 18" rims is finding decene ones
I've seen guys run that narrow rim, doesnt change much
actually on our hillclimber we have a 18" 125 rim with a southwick on it, works good.

remember you have to lace the rim on you hub tomake it fit because there never was a 18" on that axel size
MICK

Post by MICK »

I've used nothing but 18" wheels until now, and I've never been so pleased as I am with this 2.50x19" rear. It easily shines above my 2.15" & 2.50x18" rears I had been using. 100% hookup and handles much better. I also agree with Roost and that part of the reason it hooks up better is simply due to tire choices. There is a large selection of 120/90-19s to choose from whereas most 18s are only offered in as large as a skinny 110. But again, I've been a Dunlop guy for the past seven years or so. Maybe other manufacturers have started to increase 120 availability?

Oh and great buy Robert :cool: That's an awsome find for the money!!
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I have a 130 M5B on my 18 in. rear and before that I had a 140 Michilin S-12. There are plenty of tires for the 18 inch rear that are bigger that 120.
MICK

Post by MICK »

TYSTYX wrote:I have a 130 M5B on my 18 in. rear and before that I had a 140 Michilin S-12. There are plenty of tires for the 18 inch rear that are bigger that 120.
Do not confuse numbers with actual size. The 140 Michilin is not wider than a 120 Dunlop. There apparently isn't a standardized method of measureing tires. Besides actual size, if the tread compounds and patterns of many of Michilin's, Metzeler's, IRC's, Maxxis, Kenda's etc. impress you? Then go get'em tiger!
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the PC pipe would give you better pipe clearance. I would go with a 19x2.15 just for availability. I can get tires ANYWHERE and I use a bunch of the old takeoffs from my buddies with 450s :wink: since I burn through tires like nothing, I get theirs at like %50-60 and burn through it in a few rides instead of spending bank on new tires just to burn through them in 6-7 rides :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

oh, and a standard 39.5 pwk is an excellent choice!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

In my garage is a stack 25-30 tires deep that i should start pimping from the lil cuz's KTM. Maybee I'll make a list of this stuff, i could ride for years and not use them. He never starts a moto on a used tire. there were so many that he had chained them to the harrow behind the quad for weight!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

robertg,

I like your choice in bikes...

I run Dunlop 756's on a 20" front and a 18" rear

I would quit riding if I had to run an FMF pipe and vote for Obama!

I have never had a clearance issue...
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i'll be your tire whore...

i rode my 450 for the first part of the year with the same studded tire i rode in the winter!! it had like 500+ studs on it...i chewed them all off when the snow melted but for the first while it hooked up like CRAZY!...and everybody looked at me like i was on crack...(i'm a meth head but they don't know the difference)

I hate spending cash on tires...
robertg

Post by robertg »

I bought some 1" aluminum tubing and some 3/16 sheet yesterday. Today my new Gnarly and Turbine Core silencer came in. I also bought new plastic. I cant believe how cheap the plastic is.

I don't know what I am going to do with my rims yet, but I have all winter to worry about that. Hopefully I will find a cheap set of aftermarket wheels on eBay this winter.

I can't start cutting the frame yet because I am still waiting for my motor. The guy that sold me the motor still hasn't shipped it yet. I kind of expected that because it took him a week to get me a picture of it.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

what year engine? just curious...
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:what year engine? just curious...
It's supposed to be a 98. The cases are bare aluminum so it's somewhere around that year.

I guess we should have a build competition? I am remodeling my shop right now so think you will win.
robertg

Post by robertg »

This is the only picture of the engine that I have. It's still 2000 miles away in Texas
Image[/img]
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Looks like a nice machine, clean as hell.
Keep us updated on what you do and how you do it.
Post pics as well, 'cause I like looking at pictures...
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i would love to have a build competition...considering i'm a very competitive person :x , but honestly this build is going to be my baby, i'm taking time on this one...everything is going to be as good as i can possibly do it...i have no sled riding time this winter so i'm going to make this puppy shine!...i would rather help you build your bike as well as you could then compete with you...i hope both these bikes turn out just sick as hell...we have alot of other great bike builders to learn from..
robertg

Post by robertg »

We have lots of time also, unless you ride on the ice. I know mine won't be done before the snow flies.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i did ride studs last year, all winter on my 450...i was looking real forward to riding studs on the 500 this winter but it ain't going to happen...i literally have like 3-5 months before i can even come close to walking again let alone riding...i stripped my gen3 right down tonight, it came apart easy and it's so clean...
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I'm down for a build competion! What's the stakes?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i don't know what the stakes would be...do it like street racing, loser has to give the winner his bike...and no offence there teemtrubble, but i'm sure i would spank you in a build competition :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Balaclava wrote:i'm sure i would spank you in a build competition :lol:
:shtf:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

AlisoBob wrote:
Balaclava wrote:i'm sure i would spank you in a build competition :lol:
:shtf:
is that the shit hitting the fan?

Bob i don't wanna start no shit...but teemtrubble doesn't impress me at all :o

ohhhhhhhhhhh...

i'm kidding obviously...i think tt bikes ARE the best of the best for sure...
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

It's on then! What you got in mind? I'm down for what ever you want to do! Because second place is only the first loser!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i'm scared... :( ...stop picking on me! :oops: i want out, i WANT OUT!!!!!