My shitty-assed rotten luck

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Wheelie-Gene

My shitty-assed rotten luck

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

The engine is mounted and I was working on radiator supports. I got side-tracked while Mike was doing my cylinder work. I kept eyeing my VFR and had an (stupid???) idea.

I spent $600 on Sun rim kits and then I score a deal on RC51 parts.
At least I can still use the new tires I got.

I always loved the red/gold combo

VTR axle mod:

VTR axle top, CR bottom:

17" wheel, 12" rotor, 6 piston caliper:

1/2 hour to machine the axle and a few minutes to wack off some spacers, and it's almost mounted. It'll look better cleaned up, powder coated and with a tire.

Though I'm not quite sure what to think of the caliper.
Next challenge is to fit the rear wheel.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

ooohh boy!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
chachi243

stoppies!!!!!

Post by chachi243 »

6 piston holy shiite!
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Those look like Marzocchi forks, sweet! :o
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
MICK

Post by MICK »

Yeah you'll have to powder coat those RC wheels. Honda's job is for shit. Mine have just about completely undressed themselves of the original powder coat. I should be receiveing my mag set wednesday of next week :cool:

It would have been neat if you scored a set of wheels from an SP2 instead. In '02 they lightened a lot of components on the RC and the wheels were responsible for the largest reduction.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
chachi243

nah

Post by chachi243 »

you'll need the extra weight to slow everything down just a bit :lol: ..... with spoked supermoto wheels these bikes are a handful!!!
Balaclava

Re: nah

Post by Balaclava »

chachi243 wrote:you'll need the extra weight to slow everything down just a bit :lol: ..... with spoked supermoto wheels these bikes are a handful!!!
i can't even imagine^^...but how do these bikes compare to a four stroke for supermoto? obviously chachi is having alot of success...the added front weight must help tons on keeping the front end down, but i imagine it's still a handful to keep down...
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Yep, they are Marzocchis. I picked those up when I built my 600 several years ago. I should have purchased the other 3 pare the dude was selling as well.

The SP2's wheels are much lighter, you can tell just by looking. By no means whould I consider mine heavy, but all the weight adds up. The rotor has an aluminum hat, but 4 extra caliper pistons does take a toll. I was lucky to find what I did, SP parts are rare and more pricey.
I'll eventually dismount the tire and weigh the sumo set-up vs the hooligan. The last thing I wanted is more weight....but I just couldn't resist.

If the bike is part VTR/VFR/CR, would it be considered a VCR?
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

This stuff is never easy.
I had to shave .200" off the rotor pads and then cut .050 from the back of the rotor hat. I needed an extra 1/4" for the disc to clear the upper fork leg. I also took a little off the hubs so I could set the seals in deeper.
Now I'm ready to start fabbing the caliper mount.

Last edited by Wheelie-Gene on June 20th, 2009, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
atank

Post by atank »

Thats going to be one bad ass ride :lol:
Now I know I will have to plan a trip out to the Big State :P
juddy

Re: nah

Post by juddy »

i can't even imagine^^...but how do these bikes compare to a four stroke for supermoto? obviously chachi is having alot of success...the added front weight must help tons on keeping the front end down, but i imagine it's still a handful to keep down...[/quote]

A mate of mine who has raced super moto reckons 2 strokes are heaps more difficult than 4 bangers as they dont have the engine braking,unless its a tight track without to many long straights.Guess on the left handed corners should be ok as you can still use the rear.I plan to have a go next season on my 5 hungie so Im interested to see for myself.What are other peoples opinions ???
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I have a 3 piston rear caliper from a VFR800, which has a complex proportional braking system.
The outer 2 pistons of the caliper are tied into the brake pedal, the center piston is plumbed into the front lever. So....if I run a brake line from the front master cylinder to the rear center piston, it'll have residual rear braking with the use of the front brakes. So...laid over in a right corner/right foot off the peg/1 finger on the brake lever, the rear will be applied also....to a lot lesser degree.
It's a future thought, but I'd rather pick and choose which brake I want applied.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F