I've got a major issue

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
tweav

I've got a major issue

Post by tweav »

I got my new 06 crf250x , I just called service honda ,about some part than asked a few more Questions about convertions . Anyhow they said they would do my bike for 1200 to 1500 dollars .that is well within my budget ..............

What do you guys think just have them do it and have a real sevice honda ? not a clone
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Tell you what, ship that frame to Bob and pay him about half that, and you can spend the rest on bling! :lol:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

What's the benefit of having "real service honda"? :lol: but, 1200 would be ok. I just know someone who builds a real works conversion :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Well 1200 is just a frame conversion from them. That isn't gonna be anything else. And the frame conversion is just a little tubing, some cutting and some welding, so imo, that is alot of dough you could save by going with a non service honda job. A few hundred bucks in labor, and a couple hundred in materials is a far cry from 12 to 15 hundred bucks.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

In all of that explaintion it still doesn't answer "What's the benefit of a real Service Honda?" :?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I would suggest sending AJ a email ( ajwaggoner@sbcglobal.net ) to see what all it includes.

I was under the impression that he wouldn't do a CRF250 frame since that's what they're currently using. It makes more business sense for him to sell you a new one.

I also thought that his "kits" included everything you need to drop your engine in and go. I didn't think he would do just frame work.

Anyway, send him a email and let that help you make your decision. :cool:

PS: One of the big differences in having this done by Service Honda is just that, it's then a Service Honda CR500AF. There's something very special about that to me, not to mention the resale value if you ever sell it. I love what all the DIY'ers are doing but buyers have confidence in Service Honda/AJ, as they should. Both have very strong reputations. :cool:
Last edited by HrcRacing on December 7th, 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Another benefit of buying Service Honda, or having them do your conversion, is that you have both Service Honda and AJ standing behind their work. I have heard of numerous times when AJ has gone well above and beyond to provide excellent customer service. :cool:
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Noted... Anyone reputable that does good work will and does stand behind their work and should as well as offer warranties with all of their workmanship. A production bike and a works bike are two different things. Ask yourself what makes it a production bike and or a works bike. Most DIY's don't have product liability and the other things needed to run a business in this industry but, some DIY's do :wink: and with that said there's only the reputation to work on which will be the easy part with time...standing behind your work right!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

teemtrubble wrote:Noted... Anyone reputable that does good work will and does stand behind their work and should as well as offer warranties with all of their workmanship. A production bike and a works bike are two different things. Ask yourself what makes it a production bike and or a works bike. Most DIY's don't have product liability and the other things needed to run a business in this industry but, some DIY's do :wink: and with that said there's only the reputation to work on which will be the easy part with time...standing behind your work right!
Well, you're a "bit" more than just a DIY'er Mike. :wink: :lol: If you build kit bikes like you built your 125, reputation will be the least of your worries. Finding time to build them, well, that's another story. :cool:
tweav

Post by tweav »

they said I ship them the whole bike not just the frame .and it comes back turrn key for 1200 to 1500 + whatever opitions I want. I was going to get the 4 gallon tank . for 400 but I think they will mod my stocker too.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

tweav wrote:they said I ship them the whole bike not just the frame .and it comes back turrn key for 1200 to 1500 + whatever opitions I want. I was going to get the 4 gallon tank . for 400 but I think they will mod my stocker too.
I think they gave you some bad information. Why would you need to send the whole bike?

Again, contact AJ and see what he can do for you.

Best of luck. :cool:

EDIT: Here's a quote of AJ's from cr500riders.com. No mention of converting 250F's or needing the whole bike.

"kenny,
(or anyone else)
if you want me to do the conversion , with my frame pieces,coil mounts,swingarm spacing/rad mods/graphics. and all,

i am going to offer *kits* for
Gen 2 250's
Gen 3 125's
Gen 3 250's

I would need the frame and rads..shipped to me..

the person doing the conversion would then get it all back ready to build and install his current decade (90's and up) CR500 engine/electrics etc."
tweav

Post by tweav »

they said because Mine is a 4th gen they only want running bikes leaving their shop . I did not really get that myself . I guess because It's their current model , I really have not clue .I'm thinking it sounds very fair priced , But I 'm sending them a brand new bike . with a pile of parts. So I don't know how bad It will be I'm guessing I'll have some where around 6400 in the thing done . But we will have to wait and see the real bottom line
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Well, I guess it was a waste of my time, my materials, and my money to ship it all to you then... huh?

:roll:
tweav

Post by tweav »

I'm not saying that I'm having them do this bike . I'm asking ,What would you guys do if you were me ? I'm talking 2000 dollars with shipping . that is a lot of hop ups. But it would be so easy.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

tweav wrote:I'm not saying that I'm having them do this bike . I'm asking ,What would you guys do if you were me ? I'm talking 2000 dollars with shipping . that is a lot of hop ups. But it would be so easy.
What's the point in getting jacked up over how much shipping is going to be, and should you or shouldn't you, if you have no idea if the parts guy was full of shit or not?

Simple process of elimination bro. Email AJ, if he'll do it, go from there. If he won't, well, there you go.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Personally if I were you I would save my cash and do it myself, but I am a tightwad! I think SH bikes are the ultimate CR's but honestly if I could get basically the same bike for half the money and build it myself that would mean a hell of alot more to me than just owning a SH bike.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
chachi243

works, not production

Post by chachi243 »

i know you can build one cheaper than buying it so that should figure in to the resale equation, if you do it clean enough, you can still resell it fairly quickly, plus the satisfaction of owning a bike you built (mostly) is un describable, specially when it works bitchin'. AJ builds beautiful bikes, but they are a production model so in my opinion they just lack a tick of soul that a one-off handmade "works" bike has. They are available to everyone and jig built, i like it that my bikes are one-offs that arent available until im dead ( i just knocked on wood). it must be the love-hate bond formed with your machine when trying to find the time to build it yourself.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Thanks Robert, I am going to build GEN 3 conversions and offer them to the public. I am currently working with several distributors and am a dealer already for most manufacturers. My info will be posted in the approved vendors area of this forum very soon with all of my contact info because most of the GEN 3 will be "used" each bike will have to be hand built. I have a 2007 CR250R that's brand new hasn't touched the dirt yet available to me and it will be hard to cut that up but, I asure you it will be the baddest ass conversion anyone has ever done or seen. In the mean time I have a few people to do conversions for and will be contacting them all soon.
Last edited by teemtrubble on December 8th, 2007, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

tweav wrote:I'm not saying that I'm having them do this bike . I'm asking ,What would you guys do if you were me ?
I would have never bought the 250x, and just bought the CR500AFX outright.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I talked to AJ a few months ago about this and that price you got is way different than what he gave me. He wanted 3 grand to do a four stroke and 1800 for a gen 3. This included frame, headstay, both Rads moded, brake lever mod, pipe and silencer. Pretty sure that 12 to 15 does not include anything but the frame work....
TJC510

Post by TJC510 »

Mik329 wrote:I talked to AJ a few months ago about this and that price you got is way different than what he gave me. He wanted 3 grand to do a four stroke and 1800 for a gen 3. This included frame, headstay, both Rads moded, brake lever mod, pipe and silencer. Pretty sure that 12 to 15 does not include anything but the frame work....
did you email AJ directly or someone esle at the shop? i emailed someone in sales (couldn't find AJ's email) and they quoted me $3000 also. but i read on the other site that if you call and ask for AJ, they will say he was fired, quit, or is not there or dead. im thinking they told me $3000 to get me to stop asking stuff about the AF "kits".

1200-1500 is very apealing to me since im coming into the time where im working alot. and i still don't have a TIG welder. i usually do this kind stuff my self, i have the money but not the time. with racing season starting here in 4 months, i still have to actually ride the bike dialing everything before the first race seems too much. plus im within driving distance (im within 10 miles of the shop on my way to one of the races) so i won't have to pay for shipping.
TJ
2005 cr500af
2008 300XC/w
tweav

Post by tweav »

the cost of the shipping is killing it for me. I'm not liking throwing 600 + dollars for freight . heck that is a new scotts damper and mount . . I think I just talked myself out of the service honda deal. sorry for wasting everybodies time . I'll just go with plan A . then I'll post the pics of the thing as I go..

Thanks for all your Help

Tristan
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

TJC510 wrote:
Mik329 wrote:I talked to AJ a few months ago about this and that price you got is way different than what he gave me. He wanted 3 grand to do a four stroke and 1800 for a gen 3. This included frame, headstay, both Rads moded, brake lever mod, pipe and silencer. Pretty sure that 12 to 15 does not include anything but the frame work....
did you email AJ directly or someone esle at the shop?
I taked directly to AJ as I've had two of his bikes before and that 12 to 15 is bogus. I visited Teamtrubble last week and you guys are crazy if you send anything to AJ without thinking about having Mike do the work instead. I'm going to tear mine down and have Mike do it eventually. I've been to Service Honda and seen the work done there at thier barn yard shop..... what Mike is doing is the difference between a Yugo to a BWM.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

AlisoBob wrote:Well, I guess it was a waste of my time, my materials, and my money to ship it all to you then... huh?

:roll:

Some peoples kids... :roll:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
tweav

Post by tweav »

Ive decided not to have service honda build my bike . I think I'm going to get the awd kit before I do the 500 motor swap