converting a 2010 CRF-450?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
bwalker

converting a 2010 CRF-450?

Post by bwalker »

Any comments on what needs to be done and how suitable is this bike is for shoe horning a 500 motor in it?
My last 500 was a 03 Service Honda 500 af. Was very happy with the bike, but their prices are very high now and I think I can do it myself pretty cheap comparatively.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

probably the best chassis for a 500 EVER!

2009 I did
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=BD4AA268 ... 2E9%214355

another 2009
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=BD4AA268 ... E9%2141004

a 2011
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=BD4AA268 ... E9%2141097

best advise is to not use the stock Y method, 1999 CR250 air boot on 1/2" poly spacer to airbox and moose reed spacer at the engine and tip that sucker down as far as you can. Stock rads clear FMF fatty pipe, aftermarket will clear nothing. SRS in the UK's hose kit for the SH af bike works great.
I do make some components to do this, so does MXbikeworx and Loudmouth MX.
bwalker

Post by bwalker »

Would the Reed spacer be needed with you're pulse charged intake system? Always wanted to fool around with that after reading a write up by Eric Gorr on it.
Check your PM's.
ridin4fun

Post by ridin4fun »

Adam, I also sent you a pm. Please hit me back when you have time. Thanks.
hankbgood

Post by hankbgood »

I have a 2009 CRF450R AF conversion. It has the stock 1.5 gallon tank which is too small for trail riding.

MRE - Did the large capacity Acerbis tank fit without modification? Nice fuel fitting on the bottom of the tank! Beautiful work...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

The customer installed the tank after a few hours of riding. Where I had the CDI mounted needed relief on the tank, that was all.
hankbgood

Post by hankbgood »

Thanks - I found the loudmouth base for the fuel tank on your links. I need to see where my CDI is mounted. Smaller tank looks cleaner but definitely nice to have more fuel capacity. I appreciate the info...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

The loudmouth one does not deal on the oversized tanks so I've made inserts like shown in my 2010 crf250 / 250 build.
hankbgood

Post by hankbgood »

Can the reed spacer be used with the Pulse Intake system?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Its a combination of shuffling from one end to the other but I am running a spacer on mine. I used a 1/8" plate at the airbox instead of the 1/2", 3/8" spacer on the reed now. Everything clears using the '99 250 airboot still.
Ron will also make you the pulse setup on a short bodied carb where you'd still use the 1/2" airbox plate. I like the long carb since it has the screw on cap, not the allen screw retained lid. :wink:
Jercs

Post by Jercs »

We are close to having conversion manuals completed for this conversion. I know that they are manuals using our parts, but it can give you an idea on different options. We do have our coil mount manual on our website. We basically just mount it to the right side where the OEM head brackets attach.

We also have airbox boot options. Our initial order should be here very soon. They are available for pre-order right now, though.

Thanks for sharing.

CP500
ConversionParts500
www.conversionparts500.com