Skid plate options: 2007 CRF450 with CP500 conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
vito.a

Skid plate options: 2007 CRF450 with CP500 conversion

Post by vito.a »

What are you all using for skid plates? Most of the 450 skid plate pictures show large extensions on both sides.
Can I cut down a CRF450 skid plate and make it fit?
Thanks
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

On my 09 i used a Works Connection and it needed no modification to the plate, the arms that retain it to the frame had one tip of the arm removed so i could install the plate after the engine was in.
vito.a

Post by vito.a »

I see they just cover the frame rails. I'll order one. Thanks
vito.a

Post by vito.a »

Did you cut a new hole for the oil drain?
vito.a

Post by vito.a »

I found the works Connection CRF450R skid plate on Amazon for a great price. The front two mount holes worked great, but I had to drill two new rear mount holes as the J mount brackets would not clear the engine case on the right side. It's always a challenge to mark the back side of a plate when you can't get to it. I used a bolt turned down to a point, installed it into the J bracket and tapped the plate where it contacts.

I also cut a new 3/4" drain plug hole using a hole saw. It now fits perfect and works great.
vito.a

Post by vito.a »

Small issue. Changed the oil on it yesterday. The 3/4" hole in the skid plate needs to be elongated because the 17mm CR500 drain plug goes in at a 45 degree angle. Used a Dremel with a small milling bit to elongate the hole. Now works great.
Jercs

Post by Jercs »

vito.a,

Great information for those wanting to add a skid plate.

Thanks for sharing!

CP500
ConversionParts500.com