CR500 options

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
My96z

CR500 options

Post by My96z »

Trying to decide on how I want to aquire my own CR500. Been doing some research and I am looking at these options...

Build my own - I can find a donor cr250 on craigslist as they come up all the time, then I have to find a donor cr500 which I have also seen on craigslist. My problem with this is I will have parts of two bikes that I have to get rid of. I also haven't heard of any good aluminum welders in my area to do the work, but with more looking I am sure I can find one.

I have also debated wether to buy a frame off ebay and send it off to one of the guys on this board to do the appropriate fabrication while I am over seas and when I get back source a running bike and engine and do a frame swap.

I also wouldn't mind just buying a completed bike. It would be more expensive but would be nice to just climb aboard and kick it. I am just worrying about shotty fabrication unless it was done by a reputable fabricator.

I am kind of leaning to just buying a frame off ebay and sending it off to have the work done. How many guys on here would do the frame fabbing so that I can just bolt in the engine? References or recommendations?

Also, please don't flame me for this but there is a KX500 engine with a 08 KX450 roller for sale in my area. Needs some engine work and the frame work completed. Its kind of enticing, but I believe the Kawi's require more frame work.

Also it seems that I can buy a whole running Cr500 for cheaper than I can buy just to engine for.

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Jeff
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If you are going to do it yourself, or even have a fab guy do it for you then I have heard that you can get a running AL frame bike, gen 3 or 4, look for a deal, sell the motor, electrics and get back most of your investment. if you can pick up a good running steely then you have a chance to get some return on that also, i'd say around $500 if the parts are good. with any used bike, plan on a rebuild no matter what the seller tells you, if you buy from a forum member you have a better shot at getting what you were told.
There are good complete bikes that come up on the forums, here and the other site most seem to be asking $4500 range for a gen 3 or 4, maybe they will cut you a special deal because your of your service, :wink:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Jercs

Post by Jercs »

My96z,

We have manuals on our website so you can look through those to see what all goes into the conversion. That might help you decide if you want to do it on your own or if you would rather just buy the frame or rolling chassis already converted.

www.conversionparts500.com

Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help.

Thanks,

CP500
www.conversionparts500.com