Has anyone seen this before ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
other

Has anyone seen this before ?

Post by other »

Sounded like I'd knocked a big end out, but when I stripped it, I found the sheetmetal crank packing had cracked and flown apart. I had just fitted a new PWK, and was doing jetting runs. I thought I was doing the smart thing by starting way rich, and winding it back from there, rather than risking a lean situation . . . . appears either this was wrong, or the failure was just a freaky coincidence ? ? ? I had done the pilot, air srew, and needle tuning, and was just doing the final passes on the mainjet when it happenned. (Ended up with 48 pilot, A/S 2.25 turns, DGH needle on clip 2, and a 180 main, although that may have come down to a 178, but the crank packing failed before I got that far. 172 was evil lean though !)
So, is this something I've fucked up, or a common failure, or something freaky ? This is my 5th 500, and I've never seen anything like it before . . . .
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

likely stuck the bearing cage to the washer and washer to can, not related to richness.
I've never done it but have fixed it
other

Post subject: Has anyone seen this before ?

Post by other »

G'day Adam,
What would cause the bearing cage, thrust washer and packing to stick together though. There's buckets of oil in there ! That big end is less than 40 hours old . . . Have I over revved it ?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

geeze, havent seen it fail that quick before. Too tight on assembly?
other

Post subject: Has anyone seen this before ?

Post by other »

Unfortunately, I didn't do this one . . . . it could have been tight, but the guy who did it is usually pretty good. It could also be a cheap shit rod kit, I guess ? Oh well, as long as it isn't something that is likely to happen again, I guess the outcome could have been a lot worse ! I got all the OEM parts ordered (out of Canada), including complete new crank assembly, and a new standard barrel/piston, etc etc etc. for under $1500 delivered to Australia in 10 days, so all told, I can live with that.
Thanks for your reassurance Adam.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Shot, should have said something. Might have been able to give you better pricing. I have that tuff in stock right now too!
other

Post by other »

Damn, all OEM stuff ? Decided to steer away from all aftermarket stuff on this rebuild. I was going to talk to you about modifying my "rebored beyond use" barrel into a big-bore for my Gen 2 . . . . . . What's involved, and dollars ?