PWK 41 pro series woes

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gravel Scratcher

PWK 41 pro series woes

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

I have a fresh motor with a RAD valve and new reeds with a 1/2 TWIRP from Adam that is proving to be a real dog to start with PWK 41 pro series (taper bored 39mm), to the point of i won't take her bush because i don't know if it will start again.
So i bolt back in the old PJ and kicks over 1st kick at TDC with choke on and a couple of primer kicks
Fresh motor, electrics measured all good, good spark, timing ok and bike runs fine with PJ.
Tried DGL needle #45-52 pilots
DEJ needle #50-52 pilots
I'm at about 250m above sea level and temps around 25-33 deg C

To me those numbers should be in the ball park to get it to start. I'm no carb guru but something is not right with the carb/jetting
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Have you checked your float height? I've had that cause me issues when I had it set too low.
Gravel Scratcher

yeah Sean, set at 16mm. This hole seems to be gettting deeper and deeper
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If its that hard to start, pull the carb off and check for any "daylighting" between the slide, and the carb body. When they bore the carb, sometimes this is a problem.

Any teeny-tiny gap will allow air through, and ruin the signal to pull fuel through the pilot.
Gravel Scratcher

yep daylight ever so small on one side.
The other problem i found was the float assembly tang was pushing on the internal spring bumper of the fuel inlet needle. Fuck doesn't any one check anything before it leaves the shop, especially handworked performance parts your sending to the other side of the world.
The dissapointing part is that its from SUDCO via PJMotorsports (who John has looking after the previous deal here).

Anywho i'm off to send an email now and hopefully sort this out.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

AlisoBob wrote: check for any "daylighting" between the slide, and the carb body.
The carb on my 3wheeler was like that, I noticed it but it never really gave me a problem. Wasn't any harder to start than a stock one. So I ran it like that for years.