Decomp valve

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
mr500

Decomp valve

Post by mr500 »

Have give a quick thumbs up to Larry W for the lovely job he did on 2 heads
Here's one.

[/url]Image
&
On the bike.

Last edited by mr500 on September 24th, 2011, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Nice, got a pic of the inside?
mr500

Post by mr500 »

As requested
[/img]Image
CR500PHIL

Re: Decomp valve

Post by CR500PHIL »

mr500 wrote:Have give a quick thumbs up to Larry W for the lovely job he did on 2 heads
Here's one.

[/url]Image
&
On the bike.

Beautiful - I wonder would it clear the side of my large Clarke tank.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

That head is like the ones I do also, most of the side mount ones didnt clear the big tanks, I had always installed them stair up before because of that. I did sell some side mount stuff that didnt need to be welded also.
I have a strait up install R casting head ready to go if you need one :wink:
CR500PHIL

Decompression

Post by CR500PHIL »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:That head is like the ones I do also, most of the side mount ones didnt clear the big tanks, I had always installed them stair up before because of that. I did sell some side mount stuff that didnt need to be welded also.
I have a strait up install R casting head ready to go if you need one :wink:
I still have a couple needs for upgrades throughout the fall and over the winter and this may well be one of them. I will contact you when I get ready to do this. Here is one thing I do not understand - if low compression causes difficult starting ( I experienced this first hand) then why doesn't a decompression valve have the same effect?
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Who said its easier to start?.. Decomp means it's only easier to Kick!
:lol:
Maybe its cos the mixture is going out the decomp valve and not back into the crackcase via the rings?

One thing i did notice is it's harder to find TDC wiith the valve in.
BIt like an xr400.
Better to find TDC first then push the button.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

mr500 wrote: Maybe its cos the mixture is going out the decomp valve and not back into the crackcase via the rings?
:headbang:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Although my bike needs some jetting time spent still, I find the big difference on the decomp valve is it allows the motor to spin over a bit quicker. They still like an open throttle and a damn good kick, but with my still weak right knee I'd otherwise be leaning the handguard against a tree and having to stand on the peg for every start I think.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

You use the decomp to get some kick momentum before returning the full cylinder compression. if the decomp stuck on, it would never start, similar to a low compression issue.

I dont understand how these work though. A lever operated one stays open until you release the lever. but how are you supposed to kick the bike and deactivate these decompression valves? I must be missing something here
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

these are a poppet style valve, you push it in and it "snaps" down...

when kicked they will stay open, but upon the first good pop or fire from the cylinder it kicks them shut. Sometimes if the bike pops/fires it will kick them shut before it starts and you need to reset the valve again to kick again. My Valve is on the right side of the cylinder head, so when i reach for the kickstarter its right at my fingertip to push in, it seems a little more natural on this side to me as i only need to use the one arm to get the kicker and the valve. Some people have rigged up cables to allow a bar mount hot start lever from a 4T to be used to bump it open, some of these setups are pretty damn sweet.

There are several different manufacturers of the valves, including some chainsaw designed ones... (STIHL)

AV&V
Goodson
S&S
Screaming Eagle
all make the same sort of style but i haven't got any clue what is best...
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Gmbond wrote:these are a poppet style valve, you push it in and it "snaps" down...

when kicked they will stay open, but upon the first good pop or fire from the cylinder it kicks them shut. Sometimes if the bike pops/fires it will kick them shut before it starts and you need to reset the valve again to kick again. My Valve is on the right side of the cylinder head, so when i reach for the kickstarter its right at my fingertip to push in, it seems a little more natural on this side to me as i only need to use the one arm to get the kicker and the valve. Some people have rigged up cables to allow a bar mount hot start lever from a 4T to be used to bump it open, some of these setups are pretty damn sweet.

There are several different manufacturers of the valves, including some chainsaw designed ones... (STIHL)

AV&V
Goodson
S&S
Screaming Eagle
all make the same sort of style but i haven't got any clue what is best...
Got it. I know the 4 stroke hotstarts will stay open as long as you hold the lever.

The more i read into these, the more i want one for my bike.

Would you have any pics of a cable rig on one of these? that would be really nice to have. I just cant visualize hooking a cable to that little thing, especially if you push IN on the button
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
cbx1170

compression release

Post by cbx1170 »

How to get a hold of Larry W? he is at lwiechman@charter.net
Last edited by cbx1170 on December 4th, 2011, 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Don't expect to be writing pages of correspondance with Larry.. :D

wiechman@charter.net
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Give him a call

815-623-8940
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if the decomp stuck on, it would never start
ya it could, mine does it every once in a while, also with a little throttle it will run with it open, i didnt pass soundtest so i held it open with my knee, and richened up the air screw, also put it in gear and kept a little load on it with the clutch, and backed away from the tent the bike was suposed to be parked under
this let me scrape thru

it wasnt too loud really, but the random bing noise coming from the pipe was pushing it over the limit
im gonna get a washer that fits between the silencer and pipe for next time in case theres issues
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

NightBiker07 wrote: The more i read into these, the more i want one for my bike.
I am thinking the same thing but having trouble admitting it. It's like your first AA meeting, admitting you have a problem. :lol:
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I started making them when I blackened my foot almost this bad...

bearorso

Post by bearorso »

mr500 wrote:Who said its easier to start?.. Decomp means it's only easier to Kick!
:lol:
Maybe its cos the mixture is going out the decomp valve and not back into the crackcase via the rings?

One thing i did notice is it's harder to find TDC wiith the valve in.
BIt like an xr400.
Better to find TDC first then push the button.
It bloody well should start easier. There's not much bloody point if it doesn't. It shows it to be an ill thought out design, however pretty it might be.

Does your bigger tank still fit?

I posted my Auto Decomp pics and info in July 07, on CR500riders . SH and Roosty seemed to have got into them, then.

Mine, you just kick the bike, and it goes. No levers, buttons , TDC finding, or anything to mess with. Fit any tank you want. I don't try to sell them on sites, as I've more than enough to do, but I've done quite a few for people who have sought me out. Unless I'm 'snowed under', if a OZ owner sends his parts (head, and carb) to me by Express Post, they get the finished job back, in less than a week from when they sent their stuff.
DonDDR

Post by DonDDR »

It shows it to be an ill thought out design, however pretty it might be.
What is an ill thought out design? What am I missing when you say that? Its late and I might not get it right now...

Mine, you just kick the bike, and it goes. No levers, buttons , TDC finding, or anything to mess with. Fit any tank you want. I don't try to sell them on sites, as I've more than enough to do, but I've done quite a few for people who have sought me out. Unless I'm 'snowed under', if a OZ owner sends his parts (head, and carb) to me by Express Post, they get the finished job back, in less than a week from when they sent their stuff.
Id like to see your design, or sell me the plans to do myself?