cheaper engine alternative

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
coley13

cheaper engine alternative

Post by coley13 »

Some of you blokes probably do it this way already. Ebay can be your friend here.

I personally was hestitant to pay $2500 +++ for an unknown motor, factor in shipping and import taxes.

Some engines look clean but as we all know a clean engine can still be a clapped out basket case which still needs alot of money spent on top of what you already payed.

I decided to buy mine in parts, some new and some second hand.

second hand
93+transmission, shift assembly, kicker $250
cases $400 " i probably could of purchased new for a little extra"
clutchcase, complete clutch baskets plates etc, cover and water pump $230

Brand new
Crankshaft $330
Cylinder $340
Head $110
Bearings, gaskets, piston etc approx $400

So for around $2000 i have a rebuilt "newish engine"..

Be vigilant, know what the prices are new, some ebayers will try charge more than what the parts worth brand new..

Be patient and find yourself a good product.. Dont just settle for the first item that pops up.. especially the transmission. Wait for a nice one

Saying all that i already had a few external parts, carb, reeds etc... If you dont have these add probably another $500.....

Just thought i'd share an alternative to you fellow hoons so you arnt getting ripped off with unknown engines at inflated prices
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
DieHard2Smoke

Post by DieHard2Smoke »

fleabay is your friend for parts :cool: :cool:

just seen some jugs for cheap, might have to buy them and experiment with some porting.
thinking of jumping over to the AF side of things
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

DieHard2Smoke wrote:fleabay is your friend for parts :cool: :cool:

just seen some jugs for cheap, might have to buy them and experiment with some porting.
Be careful though I bought a "just rebuilt engine - bolt in and go engine" and it had 60 psi compression - wouldn't even start. There are still some low brow shit heads on there. Thankfully that was all that was wrong with it so it only cost me $200.00 to fix.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD