Aussie PWK set up

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
mr500

Aussie PWK set up

Post by mr500 »

I bought a brand new in the box PWK (the ebay one) off a mate.It came fitted with a CGJ,172m & 52p, I am going to start with a DGN,172 & 48p.Do you think this is a better starting point riding at 1,110m/3,600ft? With the stock carb on my 2001 the DGN was too lean,the 1368/cgj was a little fat but very smooth.Are there many differences between the two carbys jetting wise? cheers
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

id start with a 45 pilot
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Ok I slotted in the PWK with DGN 3rd,172 & 45 +1.5 turns.
Second kick fired up,no idle, wound in screw nearly all the way...idle's.
Played with the mixture screw and its happy at 1 turn out,couldn't test ride it because its pissing rain but it sounds Horny , real crackly Bink!! Bink!!.
I'm just wondering if a 48 or a 50 would be better as I'm now at sea level and it will be 10c colder and 1,000m higher when i go riding on sunday,would these jets give me a bit more adjustment to play with?
cheers
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

1 turn out is perfect.

If you need to richen / or lean it slightly for the days conditions... your have room both ways.

My PWK goes from 1/8 turn ( Just cracked) to 2 turns out depending on the day....
mr500

Post by mr500 »

MAAATE!! I took her up the road for a strap this morning. F_M_Dead!
Its Never felt so good,crisp,crackly and as it comes onto the start of the powerband the wheel starts to rise in every gear. I could never get the PJ to perform like the PWK.Best bang for buck I'v spent,Gets my vote. :D
mr500

Post by mr500 »

:( Ok I Took the Big Girl to the mountains today, adjusted the mixture screw out 1/2 turn,had to back off the idle heaps,very snappy cracking the throttle.
As soon as its gets on the needle its flatter than a pair of brail tits. when it hits the main jet It flys! I'm assuming the needle is rich? as I'v gone from 10m to 1000m and had to lean off the mixture screw and back at home it ripped up through the rev range. Do I drop the needle 2 clips or change to a different needle?
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I find the US blokes much favoured DGN to not work for me. Pings under load, generally sucks, no matter what clip it's in. But I've found most US spec jetting just doesn't seem to work here in OZ. I learned that basic truth in the seventies when I worked at the Mikuni distributors here.

I regularly ride from sea level to about 4000 ft. Not much, but that's OZ for you.

I use an N1469, though I've got richer and leaner needles that I've tried before.

The pilot jet, I run very small. 35 to 38. Even with the DGN needle and 40 to 50 PJs, it was too rich on the PJ circuit.

This is on a 38 AS, by the way.
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Guess what? I just put in a DGJ on sunday,but havent started it yet.I think your right about the DGN it was too lean in my 10 year old PJ carby.The 1368
ran ok-to-rich in the pj.Could be the fuel here in Aus?
The pilot seems ok I even started it left footed on a very steep single track,one kick.Really crackles.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

bearorso wrote: But I've found most US spec jetting just doesn't seem to work here in OZ.
Thats cuz your riding upside down.....

:wink:
mr500

Post by mr500 »

:shock: So thats why I keep falling off...
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Update..I decided to fit a boyesen rad valve before I spent too much time on the jetting only to end up rejetting for the rad valve.
I put in a CGJ/1368 on 2nd clip with 45pj. 1.5 turns. Savage mid to top !!
It spun out my mate who has a well jetted '85 honey and is used to a Hard hitting engine!
And the top end! Instant Horn, only a Very slight bog at 1/4 throttle. DO I...put in a leaner pliot maybe a 40pj or I was thinking of trying a CGL/1370? (not seeing much effect from adjusting the air screw), Will a rich pliot jet mask the effects of a leaner needle?
cheers
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

bearorso wrote:I find the US blokes much favoured DGN to not work for me. Pings under load, generally sucks, no matter what clip it's in. But I've found most US spec jetting just doesn't seem to work here in OZ. I learned that basic truth in the seventies when I worked at the Mikuni distributors here.

I regularly ride from sea level to about 4000 ft. Not much, but that's OZ for you.

I use an N1469, though I've got richer and leaner needles that I've tried before.

The pilot jet, I run very small. 35 to 38. Even with the DGN needle and 40 to 50 PJs, it was too rich on the PJ circuit.

This is on a 38 AS, by the way.
Im taking it you are running a 38 Air Striker. Is it a true aftermarket or a swap from like a Kaw 250?
I'm running a 38 AS from a '97 KX250, and the DGN will not work in this carb. Yup, tried it for giggles last week, and way too lean for this particular model carb. Bike runs, no power from 1/4 throttle to 3/4, no matter the position. Kaw puts a proprietary needle in, a triple taper, in my case they call it a N3WF. From what little info I've been able to find, the main taper on it is 1'34, and the diameter is 2.705, hence a CCK would be in the ball park. They also say that when subing a 48 series needle for the N85x(a triple taper), you should richen the main by 2 sizes. I'll test that theory next wk, as I run that carb at 50 pilot/170 main. I have been running the CGJ needle from the stock PJ in it with some success, and I may shim the CGJ .45mm(half clip) and see what that does. I do have DGH and DGJ needles, possibly the smaller diameters in that taper will work.
I do know that the aftermarket 38 Air Striker comes standard with 55/170 and a DDJ needle, so maybe.

I do find it difficult to believe that the DGN needle would be too rich with a 40-50 pilot. I'm running a 48 pilot in a 39.5 equiped with the DGN needle, and 4th clip is as good as it gets, not too shy of perfect. If it seems too rich, I'd be lookin at crank seals, like right side. As stated above, the DGN in my 38 AS was so lean it pretty much wouldn't run.
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

n85c (CCH) is pretty sluggish on the bottom. from my experience anyways.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Aftermarket 38 AS. Oval bored by me - Upwards.

I always forget , as I've been using them for so long, but I run a #6 slide, instead of the #7 the carbs tend to come with. Way to lean, with a 7, but a 6 doesn't alleviate the leanness of the 'DGN'. Perhaps the #6 slide is what allows me to use the 35PJ. As it is, it's as responsive as a trials bike, and the only thing I ever play with is clip heights (rarely), and the airscrew setting - a poofteenth of a turn either way makes it perfect.