Custom aluminum tanks:

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Disturbed

Custom aluminum tanks:

Post by Disturbed »

Anyone making them to customers specs? Basically I need a stock 05 CRF450 tank but an 1 1/2" shorter in the front. Coil and sealed off rad stubs in the way.

Capacity not an issue for MX.
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Really?

No one makes em or knows of someone/place that does?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Most any that have been done have been done by someone themselves for themsleves. I do recall someplace in the UK was or had done a few, but have not heard of any others.
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
cryzsurfer

Custom aluminum tanks:

Post by cryzsurfer »

It's turned out harder than I thought and I still have to finish the bottom and fab the mounting points for the shrouds and seat. I should have gave it more capacity as it sits pretty low anyway. If starting again I'd make some changes.
Craigus

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Chachi and I are working on making some available.... Stay tuned.
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Uh..................I'm not a patient person. :wink:

The tank looks berry berry nice though.

If and when they become available, will they all be the same configuration or will custom sizing be an option?
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

CR500R
V-MAX 1200
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

those are nice but pricey
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Dingdingding, you move on to the bonus round for finding that link. Thanks.

$600 + for a stocker, I hate to think what a custom would cost.
87CR500Rider

Re: Custom aluminum tanks:

Post by 87CR500Rider »

cryzsurfer wrote:It's turned out harder than I thought and I still have to finish the bottom and fab the mounting points for the shrouds and seat. I should have gave it more capacity as it sits pretty low anyway. If starting again I'd make some changes.
Craigus

I like it. Those hand built tanks look like stealth bombers. Care to share the aluminum thickness?
cryzsurfer

Custom aluminum tanks:

Post by cryzsurfer »

For the top half that is exposed to falls and such I went with .125" and the lower that is protected by the frame I went with .062". For some reason I used ~.200" for rigidity and tapping for the back flat part, but if I did it again I'd do that part different. I wanted it to look trick for the most part and not to lose any weight as there's plenty of power to handle a few extra ounces. While I wait on my engine I'm slapping an 01 YZ125 engine in a 2001 CR125 chassis. This is actually a very easy swap so far.
Craigus
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

How much does the tank hold.?
BTW the tank looks TRICK / WORKS. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
87CR500Rider

Re: Custom aluminum tanks:

Post by 87CR500Rider »

cryzsurfer wrote: While I wait on my engine I'm slapping an 01 YZ125 engine in a 2001 CR125 chassis. This is actually a very easy swap so far.
Craigus
I race an 01' CR125 along with the 87' CR500. Great chassis, slow as molasses stock. I'd love to see those pics of that swap if you don't mind. Here's an article on my 01'. We're trying to figure out which air boot works best and I'll build an aluminum airbox to match it. Project bikes are the best

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/05/b ... nda-cr125/
cr_denny

Post by cr_denny »

How did you thread your bung? Were you able to find one pre-fabbed? I'm interested in getting a aluminum tank made, but it seems that I'd have to find someone to turn the threads on a filler neck for me, and then weld that to the top plate. I'd seen a KTM 690 filler neck for sale, but it's like $150.

Bob, do you still have something in the works for custom built tanks?

Thanks!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

cr_denny wrote:Bob, do you still have something in the works for custom built tanks?
Naaaaaaa.. Chachi got real busy, and I bought a 2nd heat gun....
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

cr_denny wrote:I'm interested in getting a aluminum tank made, but it seems that I'd have to find someone to turn the threads on a filler neck for me, and then weld that to the top plate.
http://www.mxsouth.com/acerbis/acerbis- ... th-cap.htm
cr_denny

Post by cr_denny »

Sweet. Thanks for the link!
cryzsurfer

Custom aluminum tanks:

Post by cryzsurfer »

I had a cracked YZ tank and cut the top off to get it into work. Brought that and the cap to a machinist friend at work and had him machine it. My motor is done and ready to put it back into the frame so I can finish the bottom of the tank. Been tied up on a YZ engine into a CR alloy frame and getting my modded RZ350 back onto the road. Rode the iron frame 98 5 Hunny a lot last weekend which was a blast. Good weather is upon us. :D
Craigus
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

You can get fittings that replace quick fill caps insert with an insert with a std type of cap from IMS, Clarke and Acerbis, they are between $65.00 to $69.00 USD last time I checked, at Just Tanks .com.

Or do as crysurfer did ( but take the whole tank to a machinist with the cap).

I do some alloy tanks, the pic below is a length that will do the 3 tanks I'm just about to finish.The time I spend doing this by turning handles would be better off used for other things, and if I priced my time I'd just go to a machinist :roll: , but I like to do as much of a project myself.