reeds

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
MICK

Post by MICK »

100hp honda wrote:...never any proof other that cheap internet talk...
x2 in regards to ALL forum topics. Nothing can be taken at face value. Lets be real, the "he said she said" shit don't cut it.
100hp honda wrote:...after 30 years of specializing in cr500 i would think you must have logged 600 dyno runs, yet no proof of anything, anywhere.
I've often wondered this as well...not towards GSS in particular, just engine builders in general :?
I'm not a member, nor do I partake in any internet stalking on other forums save for our CR500 sites, KXriders.com and Speedzilla.
Strange thing is many KX500 members (BDI, Stewart, Gowen etc.) and RC51 engine builders (Dan Kyle, Horde Power, Thorsten Durbahn etc.) post ongoing research and development via dyno, lap times and stop watch. Whereas I know exactly how each engine modification effects these powerplants (output AND delivery), I haven't seen a shred, not one sliver of evidence for a CR500 with that level of professional data on this site or the next. Not a strong argument for any CR500 engine builder.

This leads me to only one answer. We (myself included) are some bench racing, shit talking horsepower "dreamers". Probably not a one of us has a motor that produces over 60hp :lmao:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
it runs sometimes

Post by it runs sometimes »

100hp honda wrote:
it runs sometimes wrote:Good save casey, thought there was gonna be part II for a second. :oops:
why is it you only show up when the road gets alittle rocky ? your never here at any other time, but when the gss name is put into the mix then you show up immediatly to save the day :D
Sorry, I'll tow the line from here on out. I certainly don't have the vast amount of knowledge and years of experience that you have to offer.
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Mick,as you know you have to be a special member of the KX-500 site to rec. any info .They guard there machine work with a passion just like you or anybody that has little secrets they do,altho your not in the business.Even then they only tell you or show a graph which doesen't mean a thing to most riders .Most riders only care is how well it runs for them.FMF,PRO_CIRCUIT,DG,BILLS PIPES, SHEER CUSTOMS,Even C.P.I. . PETE LOOMIS.ERIC GORE.PACKARD.D.J,Won't tell you how to build it They only tell you what it will do at certain places ,low,mid or top end.Good or bad I'm just a small Co and I'm the only one on this site that even shows some of my work .Nobody on the approved vendors site thats in the business will even show there work much less let may'be you or others try to copy them or there work or whatever.Thanks for the confidense.Glen
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
MICK

Post by MICK »

Well...I wouldn't say that everybody guards it with a passion. If you told me how to do your job, I still couldn't do it. And alot of builders know this. Actually, what I see on KXriders and Speedzilla is...(cough)...SHARING information and data collected on the track and dyno. As with the many shops you named, I agree. You couldn't pull a penny out of their ass with a tractor. And for that I don't have alot of confidence in them or their work :?
And it's not the paper data that means anything to riders like me, dynos mean squat to this rider, but it's confidence inspiring to see that a shop has done their homework. And most importantly, prove themselves wrong sometimes.

The CR500 community seems lost in the sauce in terms of motor development compared to other communities I can think of. Honestly, I think lawmower racing has come further than we have. Fuck it!! Hot Saw competitions have come further than us :lmao:

...Just saying, nobody wants to say shit and I don't think any legitimate improvements are ever going to come this way.

:lol: Look at the motor mod recomendations on this site (and the other). Talk about all over the board! We can't even agree what mods do what! In these cases it would be nice to have that peice of paper to prove beyond personal, very opinionated, feedback.
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Mick, I stated before that The Dyno I have is a Engine dyno,And it reads out like a cash register ribbon you get at the store when you buy something.As I've stated before I only check my own work for my own use I only check about every 10 cylinders I do again the clean up after a run is not to my or the customers liking but when I run a cylinder I have to put in new rings,and re-hone cylinder.But I could reference a little for you, At off idle to 2000 Rpm a CR-500 makes about 23 H.P as the Rs rise say 4600 RPM they make 48 H.p again as the Rs rise 5000RPM around 62 hp at the crank, Now wheel HP and torque will be a little lower than that because of the loss through the gear train and the drive gears ,I don't know how much because it's not important to me .As I've said I only test for my own benifit to make sure it's up to my standards. and as the over rev goes up so does th H.P and torque rise, Fast cart reves his cart engine over 9000 RPM,My Drag bike in 1/8 mile runs in the 6es,I sponser 5 PRO-NAHA Hillclimbers All finished well last year ,3 inthe top 30 in2009 So I like myself and I do have a lot of satisfied customers. Glen 20 year member of NAHA PRO-#42, A.M.A LIFE MEMber.Life member Engine Builders Of America.MMi Grad.1993 etc.etc.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

mick i think you see things pretty much the same as me.
hillclimbjim

Post by hillclimbjim »

talked to glenn today super nice guy & tons of info, stock is the way to go for his set up. thanks
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

mick since you like other sites for the endless real world testing they do im sure you will like this other site. just one example of what guys on other sites are doing. FI with E85 on a 2smoker and they have it all figured out, best of all it sounds like they did extensive testing to prove its worthiness, not just slap it on and say it works. the same guy and other dudes had great sucess with turbos on 2strokes. does anyone here have a clue how to make FI work on a 2stroke, let alone a turbo ?.... i sure as hell dont have the foggiest idea. alot of guys are programming their own ignitions, we are stuck in the stone age using stock shit scrounged up from ebay, yet we think its cool lol. we are way behind the times when you look at what other people are doing. :D

this is cool stuff if you ask me, as glen would say its just a dumb qaud site but it shows how far ahead they are, guess theyre not so dumb after all :roll: .

http://forums.atvdragracers.com/topic/4 ... echnology/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Clyde, you still need to RIDE the bike.

I only know 1 or 2 people who can use all that a bone stock CR500 can deliver.....

.. and I'm not one one of them... not even close.

:cry:
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

You know casey I still ride some,I would like to see one of your fastest ATV riders follow me 600ft on his fastest ATV.Bikes still rule.Glen

Image[/img]
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

AlisoBob wrote:Clyde, you still need to RIDE the bike.

I only know 1 or 2 people who can use all that a bone stock CR500 can deliver.....

I agree with what your saying about using ALL the power of the stock motor Bob, I said to myself that I wouldnt upgrade my motor until I rode the stocker to its limits, now its time.... I race the bike in hillclimbs mostly and tried alot of gearing combos and setups with the stock motor and Im still coming up a second short of the modded motors. I can ride the bike to its potential on the hill but I cant say the same for the trails or track....
-Jake

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

im sure he was referencing track and trail. i cant even come close to tapping into my CR250 on the track, but i tap that bitch out on hills, and it isnt enough.

as far as power goes, "i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"
caseyracing222 wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:Clyde, you still need to RIDE the bike.

I agree with what your saying about using ALL the power of the stock motor Bob, I said to myself that I wouldnt upgrade my motor until I rode the stocker to its limits, now its time.... I race the bike in hillclimbs mostly and tried alot of gearing combos and setups with the stock motor and Im still coming up a second short of the modded motors. I can ride the bike to its potential on the hill but I cant say the same for the trails or track....
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

glen howell wrote:You know casey I still ride some,I would like to see one of your fastest ATV riders follow me 600ft on his fastest ATV.Bikes still rule.Glen
glen its great that you still ride, hopefully you will have many more years of riding. i cant see any qaud going up that hill, i wont argue with that. on the other hand if you were to put your cr500 against a fast qaud at olds sand hill the outcome wouldnt be pretty for your bike. qauds and bikes each have their own advantages/disadvantages. ive been blown out of the water by them drag qauds at the dunes, so has brit running one of your motors :lol: .
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Bob, you need to change the name of this site,To BANNED ATVs.COM And BANNED KTMS.COM
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

glen howell wrote:Bob, you need to change the name of this site,To BANNED ATVs.COM And BANNED KTMS.COM
:lol:
-Jake

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

glen howell wrote:Bob, you need to change the name of this site,To BANNED ATVs.COM And BANNED KTMS.COM
Naaaaaaaaa.. "Sniveling Hillclimb Wanna-Be's who are stuck Driving Snowplows.com" is more like it.
britincali

Post by britincali »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

AlisoBob wrote:... "Sniveling Hillclimb Wanna-Be's who are stuck Driving Snowplows.com" is more like it.
i'm waiting on those guys, their union says they dont have to work when they think its "dangerous conditions"
i'm approaching beeing the dangerous condition
MICK

Post by MICK »

glen howell wrote:Mick, I stated before that The Dyno I have is a Engine dyno,And it reads out like a cash register ribbon you get at the store when you buy something.
I understand, and that's 100% more beneficial than no data at all! Riders don't need sexy printouts, we can take the information you give us and make our own high speed graphs and tables. Alot of the members and/or shops I named above apparently use those engine dynos, because I've received many emails that looked like gas station receipts. Still awsome!!
glen howell wrote:But I could reference a little for you, At off idle to 2000 Rpm a CR-500 makes about 23 H.P as the Rs rise say 4600 RPM they make 48 H.p again as the Rs rise 5000RPM around 62 hp at the crank, Now wheel HP and torque will be a little lower than that because of the loss through the gear train and the drive gears ,I don't know how much because it's not important to me .
:cool: to know, where's the harm in that? Now what about after your port work? Your pipes? etc.
glen howell wrote:I sponser 5 PRO-NAHA Hillclimbers All finished well last year ,3 inthe top 30 in2009 So I like myself and I do have a lot of satisfied customers. Glen 20 year member of NAHA PRO-#42, A.M.A LIFE MEMber.Life member Engine Builders Of America.MMi Grad.1993 etc.etc.
Your accomplishments are well deserved as I'm sure your good reputation is as well. But Glen of GSS isn't in question, atleast from me anyways. I am focused entirely on our motors, being behind the times and nobody apparently knows how to make them better? Which is cool...I'm all about owning a FI 250SX that makes as much power as a CR500. I suppose because there just isn't as much potential in the CR500 there aren't as many minds at work developing it's powerplant to survive another decade? Atleast the KX500 will always be around for serious HP junkies :lol:

Wow!! holly :hijacked:

Well hillclimbjim, I use the VF3s. They're the best because I say so. Why? Because they're on my bike and I payed for them. And of course Moto Tassinari says they're the best so thay have to be. I can totally tell a difference from bottom to top, pulls corners a gear higher just like the magazines say. And that is as scientific, factual, hard proof as any information you're gonna get on this site. There's not a member on this forum that can prove otherwise...but there are 941 other users that can give you their equally as biased and opinionated view as mine :wink:

Now...if you wanted to know what reeds were the best for a KX500 I could show you, from about 1500-7000 rpm :lol:

...just saying...
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

MICK wrote:Well...I wouldn't say that everybody guards it with a passion. If you told me how to do your job, I still couldn't do it. And alot of builders know this. Actually, what I see on KXriders and Speedzilla is...(cough)...SHARING information and data collected on the track and dyno. As with the many shops you named, I agree. You couldn't pull a penny out of their ass with a tractor. And for that I don't have alot of confidence in them or their work :?
And it's not the paper data that means anything to riders like me, dynos mean squat to this rider, but it's confidence inspiring to see that a shop has done their homework. And most importantly, prove themselves wrong sometimes.

The CR500 community seems lost in the sauce in terms of motor development compared to other communities I can think of. Honestly, I think lawmower racing has come further than we have. Fuck it!! Hot Saw competitions have come further than us :lmao:

...Just saying, nobody wants to say shit and I don't think any legitimate improvements are ever going to come this way.

:lol: Look at the motor mod recomendations on this site (and the other). Talk about all over the board! We can't even agree what mods do what! In these cases it would be nice to have that peice of paper to prove beyond personal, very opinionated, feedback.
x1000

tried organising a dyno run on the "guinea pig" post. i thought it would (and still do) be a fucking excellent idea. as you said, the lack of real world testing on cr500 sites is astounding! ive seen some of the mods on kx500 sites and it is informative and becked up by accurate dyno runs.

i see the problem on this site is people who have a tired engine and take it some where to get a race job done. they get there engine back and claim how much better it is. but half of the results they are feeling is the fact that they finally got a motor with decent compression and new reeds, and they might be getting the engine work results confused with the fact that there engine is finally running good now that its got more than 90 psi.

its really no good at all getting feedback at all when the results are skewed like this.
when some one uses a dyno on an unchanged engine, and changes one part at a time or parts in combination and graphs the results, then you have credible information.
i cant even read threads on this forum half the time without my flack jacket and helmet because people get so heated about performance results vs work done.unfortunatly, ive taken more time and interest into laughing my arse off at these shit fights than i do caring about where the thread was going.

for what its worth, i commend 100hp for going to the effort to at least youtube some footage and try different products. and roostimus maximus/danny graves for very informative,current information.

but these 500 forums need some serious people doing some serious dynos to ever give real credibility to the performance/procedural gains of making real world hp results.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

thestuz wrote: these 500 forums need some serious people doing some serious dynos to ever give real credibility to the performance/procedural gains of making real world hp results.
theres alot of dudes who spent countless hours testing cr500. you must realize that some of the brightest minds in the business dont venture into the forums much, im sure they have better things to do with their free time. jerry has done a fair amount with the cr500 on his dyno that shows hp at the rear wheels. i dont recall exact numbers but it was all there on a computer for me to see...... not just hyped up BS talk with no proof. i know of a couple more people that did alot of testing.
crf69

Post by crf69 »

glen howell wrote:You know 100 if you like ATVs so well why don't you go to one of thoes sites ,This is a CR-500 Site.And besides that your all ass and your mouth is a public shit hole.(sorry bob) Glen
GO GLEN!!!!!!!
They should take the warning labels off of everything and let stupidity sort itself out.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

crf69 wrote:
glen howell wrote:You know 100 if you like ATVs so well why don't you go to one of thoes sites ,This is a CR-500 Site.And besides that your all ass and your mouth is a public shit hole.(sorry bob) Glen
GO GLEN!!!!!!!

ISBB

Post by ISBB »

I got that there rad valve and them carbon pro reeds i likes em lots
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

lol 100, fkn gold!
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.