ANOTHER DAMN GEAR OIL QUESTION! "WITH A DIFFERENCE"

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:
thestuz wrote:thrown in an extra steel clutch plate/
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I had to re-read this 3 times! SERIOUS! and you put it back together like this!!!!????!?!?!?
I think your tool box needs to be welded shut! no oil in the world is going to couter act an "extra steel plate"!!!
X2, 3, and 4
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

come on no wonder steel on aluminium
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
StinkFinger

Post by StinkFinger »

Welp, I've seen the AsSeenOn TV "AlumaRod" used with great success on scratched pistons, so maybe add just enough to the plates to bring them up to specs...

Should work tits! Hell yeah! Also, smear a little Sterno on your air filter, just as good as running alcohol!

Happy roosting!
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

no,no,no, not steel on aluminium. just an extra plate(two steelies) between two clutch plates.this just equates to a extra thick steel plate which makes up for the clutch plates being undersize. and yes this isnt the best option but its how it came. im pricing up clutches and they are damn expensive.
barnets c/f clutch $220 shipped
clutch hub $85 shipped
preassure plate not sure yet but bet it will be at least $60
complete clutch basket $300 plus.
there are many ebc clutches for $120 but ive heard they are not recommended. gonna trowl ebay again. might just get a barnet carbon cos everyone raves about them.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

just got the barnet cf dirt digger clutch
prox inner clutch hub
i couldn find any pressure plates on ebay though. the aussie dollar is cranking atm so its as good a time as any :lol: hope this sorts out my silver gravy issue.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I use the EBC clutch in my race motor... works just fine! I never have more than a little glitter in the oil after 4 hours.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I have an ebc in my gen-1 BUILT motor, I used some '86 higher tension springs because it slipped once. EBCs are FINE for a stock motor.
I haven;t seen many aftermarket pressure plates, I think everyone uses oem. I might have a spare, lemme dig it up and its yours for shipping :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Barnett makes a presure plate but they are not cheap :wink:
-Jake

thestuz

Post by thestuz »

thanks danny, the one i got isnt too bad.its prob worn down .5mm but my issue with it is that its not worn flat/evenly. its got ripple lines in it. so if i use it on my new clutch its prob gonna take a while to break in and make a mess of the plate it comes into contact with.also where the springs sit, it has worn unevenly which could be causing uneven spring tension. that might of been why i was getting clutch drag.i would love to buy a new one, just gotta source one out.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yeah ill look into those barnett pressure plates tonight. anyone know of any good quality ones for a good price anywhere?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

gee pressure plates are hard to come by. barnett dont even list them on there site any more. just 92 cr250 ones. are they the same fit?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well after running in my new clutch and flushing the engine, im still getting 1mm long, .1mm thick alloy particles in my oil.

im thinkin alisobob might be right in thinkin i might have a bearing spinning in the case. since there are a few cases floating around ebay atm, i think it might be a good time to pull her appart and do the inspection.

will 89,90,91, rhs case fit with a 2001 lhs case? or do i need a complete set?

my rhs side case had a crack welded and im assuming this will be the replacement one. can i throw an earlier case on to match it?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

'89+ cases interchange
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

just got home from work and got the bike apart and the cases split in under 2.5 hrs :D the welded cases have a little crack through the 6mm weld that which is amazing, never thought that would crack again :oops: but its only a very small 8mm long hair line crack. the origional crack went for 50mm along the case. ill get another dob of weld on there and that should fix it 4 good. wasnt able to get the bearings out the cases yet but they dont look like theyre spinning at all!!. the bearings look tight as. im gonna get them out tomorrow and give the whole gbox/cases a good look over. if i find there is no bearing spinning, then i gotta assume its coming from the clutch???? this cant be right. the other place it could be coming from is where the clutch push rod rubs on the case. either way ive never heard of antone having these problems.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

where was the crack? if it was on the right side case by the main input bearing, I think that answers the question right there.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

the crack was on the rhs final drive shaft bearing side. the usual place they crack.went out last night and had another look. looks like my bearing is slipping in the rhs shift drum case?? its pretty loose. cant believe thats where all the allot is comin from but well see.gonna get home from work tonight and give it a good tear down..

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well ive got all the bearings out and the only one loose in its bore was the gear shift drum rhs bearing but there are no signs of obvious bad wear. all the bearing bores look fine. these alloy fragments are doing my head in, i cant find the source. there is alot of alloy particles in and around the cases even after ive flushed it. the gbox/gears hasnt worn down much and looks ok.
my biggest suprise was how worn the crank and gbox bearings were. 4 months ago they were all replaced. but they show significant wear already. the crank bearings have a noticable amount of sideways play and the gbox ones are a little bit rough and spin very freely too.am i just hammering this thing too hard or what?

well,im gonna get some new high strength bearings for the crank/box. in the mean time ive been polisheing up my cases to a mirror finish. got a new wiseco comin in the mail with some new seals/gaskets too.im still dumbfounded as to where the alloy shavings are coming from. at this point im assuming its from the clutch preassure plate and hub. gonna put this thing back together carefully and then just keep hammerin it(after break in)

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

maybe they are still lingering from clutch probs? its not like the trans has a filter or pickup screen to trap the stuff, so it could just be sticking all over and coming out in little bits when you drain.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

were all you clutch rings intact there were no broken parts
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

thestuz wrote:well ive got all the bearings out and the only one loose in its bore was the gear shift drum rhs bearing but there are no signs of obvious bad wear. all the bearing bores look fine. these alloy fragments are doing my head in, i cant find the source. there is alot of alloy particles in and around the cases even after ive flushed it. the gbox/gears hasnt worn down much and looks ok.
my biggest suprise was how worn the crank and gbox bearings were. 4 months ago they were all replaced. but they show significant wear already. the crank bearings have a noticable amount of sideways play and the gbox ones are a little bit rough and spin very freely too.am i just hammering this thing too hard or what?

well,im gonna get some new high strength bearings for the crank/box. in the mean time ive been polisheing up my cases to a mirror finish. got a new wiseco comin in the mail with some new seals/gaskets too.im still dumbfounded as to where the alloy shavings are coming from. at this point im assuming its from the clutch preassure plate and hub. gonna put this thing back together carefully and then just keep hammerin it(after break in)
whoever replaced the bearings probly scammed you and didnt replace anything. you thought they were new :lmao: . impossible to wear the bearings in 4months. well maybe you got cheap taiwan bearings ? :lol:
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

100hp honda wrote:
thestuz wrote:well ive got all the bearings out and the only one loose in its bore was the gear shift drum rhs bearing but there are no signs of obvious bad wear. all the bearing bores look fine. these alloy fragments are doing my head in, i cant find the source. there is alot of alloy particles in and around the cases even after ive flushed it. the gbox/gears hasnt worn down much and looks ok.

whoever replaced the bearings probly scammed you and didnt replace anything. you thought they were new :lmao: . impossible to wear the bearings in 4months. well maybe you got cheap taiwan bearings ? :lol:
dude i replaced them myyself.yes they were taiwan bearings but made to the same grade by the same grade of steel.same standard as oem(aparrently)

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
britincali

Post by britincali »

thestuz wrote:.same standard as oem(aparrently)

Not a chance in hell.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:
thestuz wrote:.same standard as oem(aparrently)

Not a chance in hell.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well id better cancel that after market bearing order of nsk bearings ond get those oem nachis!

just polished the cases. this babys gonna look/go sweet as when assembled.
so wish i could post photos of it on this site.gotta get my shit together.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

been a while since i seen the honda bearings but seems like the ones in the tranny were toyo but i could be wrong, cant remeber what the crank bearings were. my ktm uses skf and ina.