light cranks

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
MICK

Post by MICK »

100hp honda wrote:is there a handbook somewhere that says what hondas acceptable tolerances are ? im alittle confused on why you keep saying everything is well within honda specs.
I'm being facetious. The fact being everything I weigh from Honda has weight discrepancies. The fact that some new 500s were smooth as butter and others ran like a washing machine. The fact that even factory riders would test half a dozen OEM Honda cranks and could feel a difference.

What I'm saying is Honda can't produce two cranks of absolutely equal mass. Your exaggerated examples are cute...but inacurate. The idea or otherwise feeling that a better balanced motor has a broader/smoother pull is to be expected. Honda didn't actually change the spread of power with the crank weight, the expression simply means the motor runs so much smoother it feels like the power has been changed. And their claim isn't any kind of stunt when they say weight was added...they added a couple grams :roll:
dannygraves wrote:I'm starting to buy into the idea of having the crank balanced.
...naw it's all a hoax. A placebo. Your motor mounts are probably loose. Balancing cranks is the biggest waste of money, it doesn't help anything. Honda knew what they were doing. No amount of aftermarket parts on earth can affect Honda's genius engineering...
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i could see the balance being a good thing if you had a plated cylinder and always used the same size piston every rebuild. heres the problem i see, several years ago my crank was balanced to a 89.5 old version wiseco, i have since bought a new version boat anchor 89.00 wiseco. is the new piston going to throw everything out of whack ? its hard to say whats going to happen. i wont ever get another honda crank balanced, simply because i dont think they vibrate that much considering its a
non-counterbalanced big single cylinder. also im pretty sure the aluminum chassis has alot to do with bad vibes.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

I would be more concerned with how trued each stock honda crank was vs it's weight since it appears from 89 to 01 cranks all weigh within grams of each other if it has the stock rod on it. The truer the crank meaning both wheels are aligned and equal on both sides, the smoother running the bike will be as far as vibes. A heavy piston is always going to viberate more than a light one and that's why when I rebuild the top end on my bike I will use a Wossner piston.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

this is off topic, but just got some loose rods, a short rod is 284.2 grams and a long rod is 290.3, both are oem
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Total top end 570g (90.5 vertex)
Total rod 293g (pro-x new)
Big End 173g
Small end 120g

18g added to mag side
15g added to clutch side

Some data STR gave me after substantial pestering before the work was done. Not much weight was added but it sure made a difference.

Quite a bit more about it on this link.

http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl ... 539306/all
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

why had i heard they remove the "cans" from the crank? swapping cans is whats got me nervous, balancing like that is happening 3-4 times a day
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

stevo built a jig to not harm the cans. In the past he may have removed them, now he whacks you an extra $100 to leave em on there. He told me that the removal was a pain and it certainly doesn't help performance.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

thats bull, more $ to leave the cans on? the jig has gotta be VERY special, but whatever
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Arizona crankworks will balance or rebuild your crank without messing up the cans, and they don't charge extra.

They can build you a crank from scratch if you want.
03 CRF450/85 500