Need some bike help please

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
TYSTYX

Need some bike help please

Post by TYSTYX »

I need some help guys. I recently bought a 96 CR80 Expert ( with a 2003 CR85 motor in it ) for my son. His legs are little too short for it with the big wheels on it, so I am waiting on the smaller set of rims to come in.....So while Ive been waiting I have ridden it a few times around the block and its been running just fine, but I always felt like it took to long to warm up and it seems like it was smoking a little too much,.......today I decided to clean out the gas tank and dump whatever old fuel the previous owner was running. I put the tank back on, filled it with some fresh pre-mix, it started right up and I took a few quick passes down the block. All of a sudden it just died on me. I got it started again, but it died within about 20 feet and never started again. I checked the spark...spark is strong, no problems there, then I pulled the carb and cleaned it out...all vents and jets are clean and working, float is working good, chokes is clean, everything seems cool, I pulled the reed cage and all is good there too. I bolted everything back together and still nothing. I dont have a compression tester, and its hard to guess at the proper compression on a little 85 when you're used to a 500.

What could it be? Top end ??

Thanks.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

sounds like ignition, but you checked so maybe it is compression.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

80's eat top ends pretty regular, that or reeds causing fouled plugs would be my first guess.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

Check the killswitch, and then the rest of the ignition system. You might have an intermitten problem there. You'd have known if you squeaked it. Then double check the carb.

I disagree with you, my limey stoner bud. 80's dont eat top ends that regular. if it wasn't a race bike, most kids aren't on 'em long enough before they out grow the bastards.

It ran before, it'll run again. Remember......... air, fuel, spark.
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
britincali

Post by britincali »

bigpower wrote:
I disagree with you, my limey stoner bud. 80's dont eat top ends that regular. if it wasn't a race bike, most kids aren't on 'em long enough before they out grow the bastards.
Ive never owned one pesonally but a few of my friends did in school and they were forever replacing rings and pistons.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

britincali wrote:
bigpower wrote:
Ive never owned one pesonally but a few of my friends did in school and they were forever replacing rings and pistons.

They prolly didn't know the shit that you and the rest of us know now. Gotta use the good lube.

And clean the filter
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

make sure you are running the same oil ratio as the last owner, or jet it accordingly. if the last guy was running 50:1 and had it tuned, if you run 32:1 you would then be running really lean and at risk of blowing a topend.
when I was running 80:1 I ran a 168 main in my 500, now I run a 182 on 44:1 the oil makes a big diff, right when I changed to 44:1 I had to use a 178.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Weird......I put in brand new plug (switched from a br9eg to a br9es) and the little bugger still wouldnt come to life after about 10 kicks....then all of a sudden I heard it "cough", and then 2 kicks later it fired up. Now it starts easily on one kick and runs great. :D
Maybe it freaked out when I cleaned the tank and put in the pre-mix that my buddies and I use in our bikes....which I mix at 36:1. I have no idea what the previous owner was mixing at. It was his sons playbike and they probably dont have a clue about 2-strokes. There was TONS of spooge coming out the rear, I mean waaaaay too much to be a jetting problem. He was probably mixing at 20:1.....because he gave me a Clymer manual with the bike, and in that book it says to mix at 20:1..... which reminds me iI need to re-pack the silencer now because Im sure the old packing is drenched w/oil.
99 CR500R

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

TYSTYX wrote:Weird......I put in brand new plug (switched from a br9eg to a br9es) and the little bugger still wouldnt come to life after about 10 kicks....then all of a sudden I heard it "cough", and then 2 kicks later it fired up. Now it starts easily on one kick and runs great. :D
Maybe it freaked out when I cleaned the tank and put in the pre-mix that my buddies and I use in our bikes....which I mix at 36:1. I have no idea what the previous owner was mixing at. It was his sons playbike and they probably dont have a clue about 2-strokes. There was TONS of spooge coming out the rear, I mean waaaaay too much to be a jetting problem. He was probably mixing at 20:1.....because he gave me a Clymer manual with the bike, and in that book it says to mix at 20:1..... which reminds me iI need to re-pack the silencer now because Im sure the old packing is drenched w/oil.
#9 plug is the wrong one. its to cold and will foul. tried one in my bike for the hell of it. fouled within a few minutes. not sure who told you to use #9 but they dont know what the hell there talking about
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

#9 plug is the wrong one. its to cold and will foul. tried one in my bike for the hell of it. fouled within a few minutes. not sure who told you to use #9 but they dont know what the hell there talking about
A #9 is too cold? This topic is about my sons CR85, not my CR500.
99 CR500R

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i thought you mentioned cr125. il get some glasses tomorow :doh:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I would try getting a manual and setting the jetting back to stock and work with it from there. Theres no telling what the last guy did. I have a theory that the previous owner is almost always and idiot, even if you don't think so, assume so when you start working on it.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

100hp honda wrote:i thought you mentioned cr125. il get some glasses tomorow :doh:

:rotfl:

99 CR500R