Prep for winter 2010 project. Step #1 & 2

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I can tell you that you will be very disapointed if you go with the weld pak 100 or 125. If your going to mig the aluminun, get a good spool gun. But if you take a good course on welding, you'll probly lean more toward TIG. I tried the weld pak when I did my conversion, it pissed me off so bad I wanted to smash it with a fukin sledge! My $.02
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I agree with JBaze, I have a lincoln weld pack 3200hd wire feed MIG welder and it works best on steel, I also have a miller syncrowave 300 MIG/TIG and stick welder that works better on aluminum but it would be over kill for what your doing since its a huge industrial welder. You will be happier going with a TIG welder its not only better for what your trying to do but it also turns out to be way cleaner than MIG
-Jake

Nate

Post by Nate »

Migs work ok with Alu as long as the line is straight other wise it will kink up and the feeder end and its succch a pain. rather use a spool gun or tig on Alu though
--------www.UK2stroke.freeforums.org----------------
Morris500

Post by Morris500 »

Keep your eye on craigslist for a used TIG welder with High Frequency for aluminum. The non-square wave machines can be found for very little money. You'll be much happier with a quality used TIG than a new Home Depot MIG. I have both.
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Spool gun, check.

The welding school's owned by a friend. They'll show me how to weld anything I ask.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I've been mig welding lots of things for years with my lincoln 175, that being said- I am in the process of learning how to TIG weld and I'm looking for a good used square wave tig welder for my aluminum projects.