somebody make an aluminum tank please

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
yota

Post by yota »

with the recent thread I started about a "massaged" SH tank splitting, if someone came up with a nicely done alum tank about 3 gal more or less for my upcoming 125 framed AF I would be in. I think the stock tank is going to be a little limited in range with a 500 sucking on it. any takers you fabrication guys?
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I have the same thoughts about my 125/500. I haven't gauged the capacity, but it looks small. I'm kicking around some ideas to hold more fuel, but haven't decided yet. A custom aluminum tank might be the solution. Something I might have to tackle later on.
What gen frame do you have?
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
yota

Post by yota »

gen 3.
cr_denny

Post by cr_denny »

I've been thinking about this option:

http://www.acerbis.com/p150_tank/11250006.html

in place of the front number plate if it will work, but I'd also be interested in an oversized aluminum tank option for a Gen 3 250.
yota

Post by yota »

no hell no, not going to put a lump of fuel weight over the part of my bike I like to be in the air as much as possible. stay on message. if enough guys pipe up someone will do this. it would hold more fuel, could be made with any type of clearance in the bottom needed and if done ight would look realy cool. theres a fabricator in briton doing these but not for the 03 125 frame. says 05 and up. anyone know what the dif is?
http://www.gmxradiators.co.uk/cgi-bin/s ... =52&id=gmx
AngryShawn

Post by AngryShawn »

I'd love to have one for my 04 250x conversion!
:eatdrink:
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

I got back on mine and added some on the bottom. Cutting the front mount out tomorrow and have some of the down pieces sheared out. Been really busy at work running furnaces, so the tank has had to take the back seat.
Craigus

AngryShawn

Post by AngryShawn »

Whats the story behind that picture to the right of the cap vent breather??? :shock:
DD500UK

Post by DD500UK »

I got my tank from Dave @ GMX in the UK. His work is brilliant and he's a good guy too, alot of British teams and GP teams use his tanks and rads.

www.gmxradiators.co.uk

I guess the dollar would be against you but he'd do a discount on group orders, maybe get a group buy on them? He custom made mine so it deffo misses the plug and hes got templates for other 500 tanks he's done since. Without doubt one of the best ally welders I've seen, and I've seen a few!!

Anyway heres some pics......

yota

Re: somebody make an aluminum tank please

Post by yota »

cryzsurfer wrote:I got back on mine and added some on the bottom. Cutting the front mount out tomorrow and have some of the down pieces sheared out. Been really busy at work running furnaces, so the tank has had to take the back seat.
Craigus

sweet. how much will it hold?
yota

Post by yota »

it was your post on the other board that got me going on this...
anyone know why an 03 125 would be different than an 05?
DD500UK wrote:I got my tank from Dave @ GMX in the UK. His work is brilliant and he's a good guy too, alot of British teams and GP teams use his tanks and rads.

www.gmxradiators.co.uk

I guess the dollar would be against you but he'd do a discount on group orders, maybe get a group buy on them? He custom made mine so it deffo misses the plug and hes got templates for other 500 tanks he's done since. Without doubt one of the best ally welders I've seen, and I've seen a few!!

Anyway heres some pics......

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

yota wrote:it was your post on the other board that got me going on this...
anyone know why an 03 125 would be different than an 05?
the 02 250 is different than the newer ones because of where the electronic crap for the exhaust valve mounts, could be the same thing
cryzsurfer

A Free, Open, and Opinionated Forum

Post by cryzsurfer »

That's a young gal friend Casey who constantly takes pics of her self and sends them on the Blackberry (that i bought and pay service) :cool: She's definitely an wild child and likes to hammer margaritas with me. She's also one mean little shit and fights like a man. The GMX Tanks gave me the incentive to start mine and they are my heroes.
Craigus
yota

Post by yota »

Craigus, how much fuel? can't wait to see a pic of it on your bike.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I know theres a need for the AL tanks - and they're trick looking for sure. but you gotta admit, its kinda funny if you think about it. I mean, back in the 70s, nearly all dirt bikes had metal tanks - that got phased out and then they went to plastic. :D
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

yota

Post by yota »

I didn't think of that. Need a leather strap to hold my 500 alum tank on (:
I have 3 bikes in my garage with alum tanks, here's one
yota

Post by yota »

anutta
yota

Post by yota »

cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

I'm not sure how much it'll hold till I complete it, but I'm going to add as much below as I can without interfering with removing it or anything else. I'm going for plug access and removal if possible. What kind of shocks are those on that Maico? Are they Konis with aftermarket bodies or are they those early KYB Hammerheads like on early KXs? Very cool scoots regardless.
Craigus
yota

Post by yota »

actually they are garbage. they were called redwings. the ohlins on my husky and works performance shocks are waaaaay better. check out the works on my big maico, these are really good.

quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

Why not use the spars for fuel? You can get .8 gal. Easy and cheap.
yota

Post by yota »

quantum500 wrote:Why not use the spars for fuel? You can get .8 gal. Easy and cheap.
no thanks, want an aluminum tank :D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Have TTM make it for you.
yota

Post by yota »

he would be my 1st choice if he wasn't so busy (: don't want to distract him.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: