Little League....

Express YOUR point, no pissing matches.

List sources whenever possible!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Little League....

Post by AlisoBob »

Every year I coach..... and every year I come across some parent in denile.... Heres this years example....

This kid dosent want to improve, and this parent seems to think its my fault....
This is a few lines taken from a loooooong letter, and my respones in black.

> Subject: Drew
>
"I have issue with how inconsistent your team discipline is."

My discipline is very consistent. I give every player specific things to correct, and if they don't, they know exactly what the repercussions will be. Have you seen my son Jack pitch recently? No. He has developed some poor mechanics in his delivery that if left unchecked will possibly cause injury down the line. He still throws very hard, and throws clean strikes.. but he hasent corrected it, hence no pitching.He was the # 2 Pitcher on the team. Correcting poor mechanics is more important than him pitching. Every player has been given specific things to address. Some are working on them ( like Brandon).. some are not, like Jack and Drew.

" Drew was playing second base. He didn't make it to a soft fly over the middle. You and your coaches yelled to Drew to be ready. Drew put his hands on his knees a few pitches later. You then yelled to get his
hands off of his knees. A few pitches later he had his elbows on his knees. You then yelled to get his elbows off of his knees, called time out, and pulled him out of the game."

On the pop fly, Drew hardly moved on the ball. Then, as you very accurately describe, pitch after pitch he is told to get in ready position... and he refuses. Damm right I pulled him out of the game. He has a responsibility to the entire team to BE READY. NOT to make a unassisted double play.....NOT to be an All Star..... just to be ready. If he cant accomplish this simple task, he has not earned the right to play.

"Jonathon at first base had his elbow on his knees. Drew got pulled from the game for something the kid next to him was doing too."

Jonathan sometimes rests his elbows on his knees.... lightly. I call out to him too. Drew puts allot of weight on his. When the ball is put in play, Jonathan reacts, Drew doesn't. I never compare one player to another but since you have... Jonathan is getting it done, Drew isn't. Its that simple.

"Tonight Tyler made the exact same mistake at shortstop. He had an out at first, but instead threw home too late. Did you call time out and pull Tyler from the game?

Tyler made a judgment error going home, and a fielding error with a bad throw. It wasn't due to lack of attention, it wasn't due to not knowing the game. He just made a mistake. 10 year olds make lots of mistakes. Drew was in left field a few games ago, threw the ball to 3rd base... Guess what? Nobody was at third base to catch the throw. Nobody was even close to third. Did I pull Drew? Nope, because at least he tried, and that's all I'm asking for from him..

"Tonight you pulled Drew from the game for not backing up a throw, but there were several times that the same mistake was made by other players. You didn't notice and you didn't pull them from the game.
Again I have no problem with discipline, but I think it should be consistent. I would seriously question whether pulling a kid out of the game mid-inning (any kid) is going to accomplish anything."

When I send Drew out to right field, and explain to him moments before that he is to back up EVERY play at first, no matter if its a throw or a pick off, and the very first play he just stands there... you tell me what to do? I told Drew if he doesn't take the position seriously, and doesn't back up... he will be pulled. And that's exactly what happened. As I stated before, I'm very consistent. Nick has been pulled, Simon has been pulled, Brock has been pulled. I bring them into the dugout, to sit right with me, and review what their doing wrong, and how to correct it . I suggest you review your games films more closely.

"In general, a good deal of the coaching is negative and harsh. I will say that you do a good job of mixing in some positives, but your assistants rarely do."

I have had discussions with my other coaches regarding this... its a work in progress. That said, did you volunteer to Manage... No. Even just to Coach.... No. I'm sure you have great reasons as to why, but the fact is you didn't. Perhaps next year you will and bring a more positive experience to your team.

"Tonight I heard one of your coaches talk to a parent from the other team about the fact that one of the kids on the team couldn't tie his own shoes. He went on about how ridiculous that is. That boy's dad was sitting there listening to the whole thing. Is that what our coaches should be doing?"

Without names, I cannot address this. While I think this is completly out of line, I cannot control what two parents discuss after a game. If the boys Dad overheard this, and didnt respond... thats his choice. If it had been my son they were talking about, and I overheard it, I would have stepped right up to defend my son. I'm not the U.N.
"Watching some of the boys' responses to making mistakes or even just not getting a hit or throwing a strike shows how much pressure is on them."

I think some of the boys are reacting like this, because they feel the entire weight of the team is on their shoulders because some of the other players show no intent to improve.

If it remains a negative atmosphere, it will be a long season.

What I get from most parents is even without a win, the boys are playing well, making big plays, improving noticably every week and having a pretty good time. If the better players "give up" on the other players, that whats going to make it a long season.

"I hope you will consider my words not as confrontation, but instead as an encouragement to reconsider your coaching strategies. If your only desire is to win at all costs, you lose in the long term."

I'm not changing my coaching strategies at all. I'm focused, but not on winning. I'm focused on two things... 1. Getting every player to play to 100% of their abilities. 2. Getting every player to realize that baseball is a team sport, and to understand that when they miss an opportunity to make a important hit or a catch, or simply back up a play.... the entire team suffers and they should feel responsible. This feeling of responsibility should translate into motivation to get better. Simon has it , Brandon has is... Drew seems indifferent to the whole experience. If Drew does show emotion, I beleive its because he's upset that HE failed, not that he let the team down.

"I know that you didn't want Drew as a player from the beginning, but I'm hoping you can find a way to help build him into a good player."

Not true. I had early concerns that Drew was going to have a tough time defending himself against a strong throw or hit. It was purely a safety issue. Since that time, that issue as dissipated. WE need to work with Drew together.

I also think that your first base coach owes Ziggy's father an apology.

Is this in regards to the mentioned " Shoe Tying" remark? Like I stated.... If Ziggy's father wont stand up to defend his son, so be it.

"Again, please do not mistake my intentions here, my desire here in not to criticize. I'm not a perfect coach myself, but I have learned that a positive atmosphere does a lot for learning."

I'm as positive as I can be with all the boys, and spend the majority of my time specifically with your boy Drew.

If I didn't care about him , ignored him, berated him, or didn't give him any opportunity on the team I would be failing as a coach. I support every positive thing he does, including something simple like being in an athletic " Ready" position. The flip side is when he is instructed several times to put some effort into what his is doing, or apply what he has been taught, and refuses to.... their are going to be repercussions.

Even in the dugout, mid game , he will come up to me to ask " When is this game going to end?" .... Or " How much longer do we have to play?" How would you respond to a player who shows little interest to play, let alone improve?

To be blunt, Drew is the same player I met on day one, with the same challenges.
1. Focus and have some idea what's going on in the game.
2. Get in a athletic ready position
3. Bat in a proper stance.
4. Supporting your team emotionally

At some point, you as a parent, need to get involved. I ask Drew if he practices outside of team activities... .His response..... " Not really". I don't know how accurate this is , but judging by his progress I cant help but accept it. You state your a PE teacher, I would never have guessed that.

I'll continue to work closely with him, and time will tell how serious he wants to be with Baseball.

Thanks for your time

Any other Managers or Coaches out there with similar issues
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

nice reply. seems like a "backseat driver" of a parent. tell her to shove it up her ass and she can coach is she feels that strongly about it. not everyone is a winner, but everyone can feel like part of a team. it seems that he just chooses not to be interested in it at all.

if y'all were here and that boys dad had over heard a coach making fun of his son like that, there probobly woulda been some fists thrown, lol
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

LAYNFRM wrote: if y'all were here and that boys dad had over heard a coach making fun of his son like that, there probobly woulda been some fists thrown, lol
Yup... Time to throw down.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

damn...that is a lot of drama for little league.

i look back fondly at the time spent with my dad as my coach in little league on up to 9th grade. our team was tight, we played together for about 6 years and won two championships and three of us made it to all-city all-star team during that time.

we worked hard, and my pop was tough on us. I agree with your comments bob.

the work ethic learned on the field at that age translates into everything you do as an adult. lazy kids too often come from lazy adults, and grow into the same. :x
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

south central hoon wrote:
The work ethic learned on the field at that age translates into everything you do as an adult.
Yup... This parent wants the gravy for his kid, without any of the work, sweat, or drive thats required...

Its not going to happen.
ellett

Post by ellett »

Dude, you volunteer for this year after year?!

I don't know how you keep from snapping.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Because for every story like this one, I have 11 positive ones....

:wink:
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

YUP!!!

Typical South County kid/parent.

Bob you know me well and this is exactly why my boys don't play sports.

Those parents don't realize how many dollars in they have saved the state

for murder investigations.

It's funny that a parent like that critiques a person that takes time to do what you do for them and their child and isn't happy because they suck themselves.

I've coached T-ball, Baseball, Soccer, Assistant Cub Master, Leader this leader that. It's all a bunch of B.S. All it is is after school day care for their kids so they can have some quiet time at home.

It all unraveled for me when at soccer sign-ups they told me that if I didn't volunteer than my child could not play. I told them it's a public forum for children to play sports and we will see about that. That"s when I found out that if you are a "sponsor" than you don't have to volunteer.

My next question was how do I become a sponsor?

Pay us $100.00 and your done.

So I told them to stuff the $100.00 and I don't have time to volunteer.

They didn't have the balls to tell me that my son could not play.

Keep up the good work Bob and if a parent gets in the way

punchum in the cocksucker :lol:
ellett

Post by ellett »

AlisoBob wrote:Because for every story like this one, I have 11 positive ones....
Eleven's not enough, I'd still get an assfull of a parent like that.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

UPDATE:

So Drew gives about the same 30% effort at last weeks practice. I pull him aside and tell him that I've made the decision to cut him from the roster from this weeks game. ( I wasent really going to) I also hand him a job application from the local Carls Jr.

He dosent gripe too much about being cut from the roster, but is very curious about the application.

I explain to him that Carls Jr is going to be about how high he climbs on the economic ladder with a work ethic like this. I also explained what kind of lifestyle a minimum wage job will provide for him..... WE had a long talk about it . Read this weeks "Angel Report" to see if it sunk in.....

Angels VS Yankee’s

Saturday March 14th, 2009

Woodfield Park Field #3

Well Angels fans, with how well the boys have been playing, its going to be a real showdown between the Angels and the Yankee's.... How did it turn out? Read on to find out!!!

Top of the 1st inning, The pitcher for the Yankees showed some control issues early on... Our eagle eye Angel batters were not going to swing at anything not hittable, and as a result they drew lots of walks. This is how it all unfolded.

#2 Matthew walked to first stole second and third bases and was later walked in for a run. #7 Jonathan also walked to first stole second and third based and stole home. #4 Jack walked to first and later stole home. #9 Drew ran in for a run. #10 Tyler walked to first, stole second and stole home. #12 Andre stole home to end the inning at 5 runs.

Score 5 – 0 Angeles

Bottom of the 1st inning, Starting pitcher #10 Tyler caught an infield grounder and threw out runner at first. Short stop #12 Andre caught an infield grounder and threw out the runner at first base. Tyler threw hard and recorded another impressive strikeout to end the inning. Great way to start the game Angels!

Score 5 – 1 Angeles

Top of the 2nd, Yankee pitching settled down, and while making contact, Ziggy, Jack and Andre couldn't bring Matthew and Jonathan home to score.

Bottom of the 2nd inning, the inning belongs to #10 Tyler who struck out three batters with solid, precise pitching. Another quality outing for Tyler!!!

Score 5 – 2 Angeles

Top of the 3rd inning, #10 Tyler had an excellent hit to deep center field, and by running hard he legged it all the way around for a home run!!! This is the second Angeles home run of the year!! #8 Simon walked to first and stole second later running home after Drew smashed another unbelievable home run hit to center field to score and pick up another RBI. This was the third home run of the season for the Angels!!! Drew has been doing an excellent job of listening to the coaches as of late, and its really starting to pay off, both on offense and defense.. We are all really proud of you Drew and the newfound commitment you have shown to the team!!!

Score 8-2 Angels

Bottom of the 3rd inning, Tyler struck out the first batter, then turned the game ball over to #12 Andre who struck out the other two batters in the inning. Tyler has done such a great job all season, and knows that when it comes time to leave the mound, its due to pitch count and nothing more. Great team attitude Tyler!!! Tyler moved over to 1st, and Jonathan moved to Short Stop. The depth of the Angel players is outstanding!

Score 8 - 2 Angeles

Top of the 4th inning, this inning goes to #7 Jonathan who had a big hit to center field and stole three bases to come around to score!! Jonathan is an exciting player to watch and always makes things happen, either with his bat, or with the base running. Great Hustle!!

Score 9 – 2 Angeles

Bottom of the 4th inning, The Angles defense proved once again the when the pitching dosent get it done, the fielders are more than capable to finish the job. #11 Brandon caught a fly ball hit to deep right field. Brandon has also made big strides recently in becoming a real part of the Angels team. Brandon put himself in perfect position to make the catch, and make it look easy, Great job! #3 Ziggy stopped a sharply hit infield grounder and thew it to ShortStop Jonathan for the force out at Second. Then Hong fired it over to 1st for an attempted "Double Play"!!! The runner beat the throw, but it was still an exciting and well executed play!!! #12 Andre closed the inning by striking out final batter.

Score 9 -2 Angeles

Top of the 5th inning,#9 Drew had another excellent hit to center field and stole second base. Drew is on fire this game, and the coaches expect to see more of this! Well done #9, all you effort is really paying off!!!

Score 9 - 2 Angeles

Bottom of the 5th inning, was all #12 Andre. He started by striking out the first batter and then made two great plays by stopping two infield grounders and throwing out each runner at first. Tyler made great catches to end both plays. Great teamwork Angels!

Score 9 - 2 Angeles

Top of the 6th inning,#3 Ziggy ( aka " Lightning" ) had a BIG hit that he hustled into a double!! He later stole third and home. #12 Andre also had a nice infield hit for a single. With his hit, Ziggy made both offensive and defensive contributions to todays game... Way to go ZIGGY!!!!!!

Score 10 - 2 Angeles

Bottom of the 6th inning,#12 Andre faced the top of the Yankees lineup. His great pitching produced three weak infield hits from the Yanks strongest batters, two of which he caught and then threw each runner out at first.

Catcher #4 Jack made the final out when he slid on his knees and caught a "popped up" foul ball at the backstop. Great hustle Sugarbear!! Some say your becoming one of the best AAA catchers in the division! Keep it up!

Andre, your pitching has also been fantastic, and played a big part in todays win. Its good to see you stay relaxed in the final innings, and pitch at a comfortable pace. Your pitch selection today was also "Spot on"...... Great job!

The Final Score was 10 - 2 Angeles

Coach's Bob, Kevin, and David were very pleased with todays win because EVERY player had a hand in it, either with a important hit, a big put out, or both!!! Were really starting to play as a team now, which is a sign of how well we can do in the Championships if we keep it up, and continue to develop our skills!!! The team wanted to dedicate this win to our Angel Team-mates who couldn't be with us today, Brock and Landon who were feeling under the weather today. WE won this for you!!!

Go Angels!!!!!

Drew ( and his family) were all smiles after the game..... I didnt get any "Thank you" ... but thats ok.

Being a Little League manager is sometimes a thankless job.... But I love it.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Should make this a sticky....an adventure in every year..... The soccer mom from years' past was quite humorous....
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......