Any one work with Heating and Air?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Travis

Any one work with Heating and Air?

Post by Travis »

I have had a huge electric bill this month. I recently realized the outdoor unit is not running. When I checked the Breaker box I see the breaker is thrown on the Pump. I switched it an fire flew from the Box. I called a guy and he checked it and said I had a short in the wires and he would be back in a couple days to fix it. It has been nearly a week with no word. I then called another guy who has checked it and he says the compressor is bad. He says I need a new outdoor unit. He says you can just change the outdoor unit. Every company I call claims you need to change both because my stuff is 10 SEER and then new is 13 SEER. The guy who I called to begin with says I need to drop a 1/2 ton on the outdoor unit because it would flood my air handler inside if I change only the outside. Does anyone know what the heck all this means and can shine some light on the situation? So far I have prices from $880 to $4000 to fix it.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
Travis

Post by Travis »

No one???? The weather is nice now but will be turning for the worse. I really have no Idea what these people keep telling me. I do not have the money to fix it. Let alone fix it twice because some heating and air guy has lied to me.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
derake

Post by derake »

yes all new units are at least 13 seer by law . your inside coil must match your outside unit. some dealers stocked up on the 10 seers, and can be found.
Travis

Post by Travis »

derake wrote:yes all new units are at least 13 seer by law . your inside coil must match your outside unit. some dealers stocked up on the 10 seers, and can be found.
If they are required to be 13 by law will they still sell a 10? What would really happen if I put a 13 outside and leave a 10 inside?
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
derake

Post by derake »

they should still sell one, if they got one still in stock. i dont know the exact laws on that. my boss had a few. i would just take the bite and get a new compressor if that is your problem and your unit is in reasonable shape. most have a few year warranty and will get you buy for a few years untill you are ready to get a new system. when getting a new system it is best to replace both at one time not only for the seer rating b.s. but will save you labor cost in the long run when the inside unit goes out.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Finally a different guy came by yesterday to take a look at. He said he had a Brand New Trane that was 10 seer. He said I could have it and he would install it for 525. That is the best price I have gotten so far. Hopefully, that fixes the issue.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee