werd to your motha

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

werd to your motha

Post by 100hp honda »

i didnt take pics of it but i examined both my motors recently and found rust forming on the one that had pump gas run through it. the other one that used only VP was sparkling clean. just saying :wink:
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Thas what a lot of people, mostly small engine mechanics, have been reporting since the fuel with all of the additives.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Winter mix pump gas has about 10% Ethanol in it. Most race fuels use MTBE as an octane booster which is not hygroscopic like alky. Thats my story and im sticking to it. Can I say "FUCK" since Bobby is passed out in the hotel room in Vegas right now?? :lmao:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Winter mix pump gas has about 10% Ethanol in it. Most race fuels use MTBE as an octane booster which is not hygroscopic like alky. Thats my story and im sticking to it. Can I say "FUCK" since Bobby is passed out in the hotel room in Vegas right now?? :lmao:
It depends on your location, but 10% is common across the USA for both summer and winter grade fuel, and doesn't even have to be disclosed at the pump anymore.
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

I notice a positive difference when running Shell gas in my Cutlass which is carburated. Easier starting in the cold and better mileage. Your not likely to see this starting issue in fuel injected cars but mileage is better. Shell gas has the right combination of additives to combat side effects of ethanol.
My super at work has a Harley decker with Screaming Eagle heads, cam and pistons and he reports that the only high test gas that works for him is the Shell V-Power which is 91 octane with no ethanol. Sunoco Ultra 94 pings and Pioneer 93 is just as bad, he has tried them all and always goes back to Shell. I would like to know if the other brands of high test have ethanol in them and if this is there problem.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

i tell you what, a couple of months ago all the police cruisers in town along with several private cars started loosing fuel pumps, well when they went to test the fuel where all the fleet vehicles fuel up i wont mention names but their initials are (smiths fuel center) they found a very high water content and all the cruisers had that milky white shit in their tanks from water. the fuel is now clean but you really have to watch what you buy. most people dont have the time to test fuel but i have a friend who is obsessive about it, he takes mason canning jars and gets samples from pumps all over town and adds a few drops of food coloring red shakes them up and lets them sit the noxt day is amazing! all of them have some water but some more than others. and the octane! he also sends samples to be tested for true octane values. some 91 octane is really like 85 and he once found a pump in a known bad gas place that read 72 i know right? 72 plus a 22% water content! well that little old station was closed down a few years ago but it just shows how much water is floating around in our gas. the only one that actually tested good was at the airport and vp from the can, the airport goes through it quick so there isnt so much time sittin in the tank to condensate. oh and i forgot to mention some old gas stations with old underground storage can have rust and yellow sulphur deposits in them too! not so much any more as most underground tanks after 91 are lined but beware of rural roadside stops.
i dont own assault rifles, i own homeland defense rifles!!!!
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

50/50 blend of C-12 and pump gas (mixed 32:1 with Honda HP2)

Last edited by Dakota Boy on December 1st, 2008, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

It's funny, you know. All this crap about improving a vehicles mileage and emissions: How can it be done with this shit gas?
I also think(Know) car manufacturers are holding back on the mileage that new cars can get. Far as I can tell cars are no better than they were 15 years ago. Actually my 91 Corsica 2.2 5spd gets at least 25% better economy the the 05 ford Focus that the seller bought after. The Focus is a base model and still weighs 600lbs more than my fully loaded Chevy. No wonder... :roll:
Bitchin' lookin' burn there Dakota Boy.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

What are we looking at here? A piston thats been cleaned or someone who runs on nearly straight gas?

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

The photo was after just a coupla tanks of fuel on my new top end.

50/50 blend of pump gas and VP Racing's C-12. Mixed 32:1 with HP2. Stock Keihin PE carb with stock jetting (except a slightly leaner taper on the needle (eliminated the midrange blubbering the '84 were prone to).
If you have good eyes, and can see some fine scuffs on the piston dome, its cuz I was farting around with some fine sandpaper. :roll:

I had the jug off to fix a base gasket that sqeaked out on one side during my last race. I could hear it running lean the last lap or so.

Fixed it permanently by putting a little "pock mark" on the engine case where the thin piece of gasket resides.

Anyways.... we'll see how it looks when I go back to just pump gas next spring. I had the squish modified by Eric Gorr to remove the "surging" when you let off the gas coming into corners. A benefit of this head mod is that I shouldnt need to mess with that expensive C-12 anymore.

A 5-gal. can of that stuff was like almost 70 bucks at the only place I can get it locally. That's BS. :x
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Dakota Boy wrote: A 5-gal. can of that stuff was like almost 70 bucks at the only place I can get it locally. That's BS. :x

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

what's up with the pic of the toluene can? you making your own race gas?
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

:wink:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

My old ported steelie is running on 50/50 blend of tolulene and premium pump gas, it runs fast as hell.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

is there some sort of "calculated" octane rating for your 50/50 toluene blend?
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Dakota Boy wrote:is there some sort of "calculated" octane rating for your 50/50 toluene blend?
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... ht=toluene
MICK

Post by MICK »

I went through a phase of trying a bunch of that shit. I don't know?? My motor is easy to please anyways...but all those hardware store potions were a waste of $$$. I felt they made as much impact as a fresh plug or changing premix ratios, which is to say they made very little difference. I'm not a big race fuel consumer. But as I understand fuels produced by manufactureres such as VP have a lot more to offer than just higher "octane". I see alot of their more popular fuels have actually a suprisingly low octane rating. After running gallons upon gallons of toluene and premium pump fuel through my bike with varying ratios, I came to the conclusion home brew race fuels of this kind aren't worth the trip to the hardware store. Your bike either needs race fuel or it doesn't. If it indeed does I'd much prefer C-12 over Lowes brand toluene anyday regardless of price. But I don't discount that hardware store potions can help riders who are forced to purchase shit pump fuel required by the state or county. The key word here being "help". Not the preferred technique IMO.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

I'm gonna have to check around at the local Shell stations...

But I think 10% ethanol pump gas is going to be all that is available around here, since I am just south of Milwaukee.
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
MICK

Post by MICK »

Of course you have to live in one of the 6 counties in SE WI that require shit fuel. Looks like it's N RFG w/Ethanol for you DB.

Good news is that every other county in WI has regular fuel, and so does Indiana with the exception of two counties, and all of IL but eight counties. No part of Iowa requres ethanol blended fuels. Point being is that many places you ride probably offer straight petro fuel at the pumps. Instead of filling up in town, get gas on the way there.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I have not raced for 15 years, but even back then I never ran "race" fuel. I won plenty of races on a virtually stock bike and running pump gas. The only guys I have ever seen that require the expensive race type fuel for their bikes are hillclimbers with a heavily modified engines. That being said, I haven't priced the race gas for a long time but I sure as hell don't want my engine rusting up either. I have noticed though latley, as I have been riding alot more, they switched to the winter blend up here and my bike is getting harder and harder to start. Once warmed up though it kicks ass. I am running 927 at 44:1 ratio. but after hearing all this shit with the fuel I am affraid to let the bike sit to long.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

watch out for the VP MR9, thats some serious fuel, wouldnt have believed it til we had a lil fuel shootout here at the farm with the KTM boys
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

There are some bitchen oxy fuels out there but they are extremely expensive and nasty shit you cant leave in your bike or motor...

U4 is worth 6-10hp ALONE on a liter bike and its only 89 octane...one of the reasons for the HP boost...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee