CR 500 Short rod availabillity

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
CRMOE500

CR 500 Short rod availabillity

Post by CRMOE500 »

This winter I am rebuilding the engine in my 84 and need to find a new short connecting rod. Even better would be a crank and rod assembly that to me is just more worth while. My old original assembly is likely more trouble then it's worth to rebuild. Any thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Colin
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ive never heard anyone say a complete crank is available but i heard someone say the just the rod was available but i dont recall where they got it. HPD or S/H could give you a answer probly. im using hotrods in one my motors but its 144mm, i checked their website but they dont list a short rod
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

honestly what i would do if i had short rod motor: have teem trubble make aluminum plate and weld it to the bottom end then use 144mm rod :cool: . or you could weld it to the cylinder
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

I would be willing to send my crank assembly to someone like Glen Howell for a rebuild. His ability far surpasses anyone I can find in my area and I would like it done right.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

100hp honda wrote:honestly what i would do if i had short rod motor: have teem trubble make aluminum plate and weld it to the bottom end then use 144mm rod :cool: . or you could weld it to the cylinder
I just would like to keep the engine original if possible. Your idea may work, and I will keep it in mind. Using an 87 or 88 bottom end is another idea.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

check out the other site, someone there said they found some short rods still floating around
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

100hp honda wrote:check out the other site, someone there said they found some short rods still floating around
Thanx Clyde.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

any oem supplier can get them
03 CRF450/85 500
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

All of my parts come from D&R.
Select crankshaft in the drop-down box.
I get a discount, so my cost would be less than the $132 pricing.
http://www.donandroys.com/fiche_section ... &fveh=3280
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
Uzi

Post by Uzi »

HPD shows $93 and some odd cents with the discount, but I didn't try to order its just shows available when you look it up.

I didn't have much of a problem getting one for mine when I re-built it about a year ago. But I've seen people here and on the other board say that they are having trouble finding them now. :?
1982 XR200
1985 CR500 86' Motor
1990 CR500 85' Motor
2000 CR250
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

people just repeat bs they here on the forums
03 CRF450/85 500
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

A member from the other board has ordered a short rod from Service Honda and we are waiting for it to arrive to confirm it's length. I'll post up what we find.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
kball1313

spacer

Post by kball1313 »

I might wrong, but I think cometic is the company who makes a jug spacer that will let you run a long rod. Somebody makes or used to make one.
dannygraves

Re: spacer

Post by dannygraves »

kball1313 wrote:I might wrong, but I think cometic is the company who makes a jug spacer that will let you run a long rod. Somebody makes or used to make one.
I got one from cometic w/ 2 thin gaskets, I believe I posted the part numbers here before. I think I spent like $30 on the spacer kit and now my '86 motor runs a long rod.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

dude! I have a great short rod +crank that i bought last year but i didnt know it was a shorty so it wouldnt work in mine, it is used but is still very tight and should last years and years. if you want it 100 shipped its yours.
i dont own assault rifles, i own homeland defense rifles!!!!
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

Thanx for the replies gentlemen. This project of mine will be easier knowing I have people around with the right advice.
Dude! DaHondaboy, maybe I will get that crank assembly off you. Could you post a pic or two and verify how much clearance there is? If all is good then you just may have a deal :cool: .
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

yup stay posted and ill put them up tonite. as for now i am off to ride! :cool:
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

Have fun Bro! Wish it wasn't winter here or I would be doing the same thing.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

sorry i didnt get home till midnight last night, i will get those pics up this afternoon as soon as i get off work.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

ok, heres the pics. I cant find my feeler gauge anywhere so i guess i gotta buy another one. but it has very low hrs. since the rod was put in it. . i bought it when i rebuilt my 88 and had it all installed and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt run good and only had 70 psi . well it was cause the short rod was not letting the piston reach the top of the cyl. i felt like an ass! it has very little side to side and no up and down play. years and years of life left in it.
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

How was the ridin' the other day DaHondaboy" Must say I am a little envious. Right now all I see is more ice and more snow on the way. winter sucks.
That crank is lookin' pretty tight and just what I need. It's safe to say we have deal my friend. I'm going to talk to another friend who knows all about this shipping thing tomorrow and then I'll get back to you with more details.
Colin
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

well its 32 degrees but no snow yet, i usually ride year round . i put ice screws in my tires and hit the plowed fire roads in the mountains. i didnt have my cr500 runnin' but i have a kx250 that is pretty hot and i hit some local hills. heres a few of me at clawson track.

CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

Soon as I can get my bike some place warm I'll feel like ripping it apart. It's -22 with the wind chill and the garage still isn't warm enough for me . I hate the cold.
Me and some guys from the other site can order Honda short rods. So my plan is get your crank and drop it in my motor, then get another rod and later fix my original.
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

- 22! holy crap yeah i wouldnt want to be out in it either. its +30 here and i dont like it lol. im a desert rat, i like it hot. if it gets below 60 im shiverin. my friends call me chihuahua. ill save the crank for you no worries.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

nov 24, opening a trail to chase the dammn cattle back home...