case saver

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
aloha450x

case saver

Post by aloha450x »

I bought the stock saver off bikebandit. I was unaware that it is aluminum. where can I get a trick steel one? I don't have much faith in .70 aluminum and its ugly to boot. what are my options.
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

I'm looking to get a new throttle too. which one should I get? I was looking at motion pro but don't know which one. and cable. thanks guys
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

will this work ok? http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-TAPER-THROTTLE- ... dZViewItem

nevermind check part numbers and it will work. oh yeah and the cables are the same too.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if your chain is always adjusted right, its almost impossible for it to come off. and a cr5 doesnt have enough power to break a GOOD chain. me, lewisclan, slomas, Pstoffers are all using about 8ft of chain: i cant speak for those guys but mine has never popped off. i think your paraniod dude :lol:
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

true. i have only seen one chain snap and he never took care of it. it flew right out of the back. would hate to change cases due to a 20 dollar part.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I have busted 2 chains on sport bikes, and once on a Cr250 I lost a master link.

The first time I lost one it ripped the chain guards right off, and a small chunk of the case with it. (just the part that the chain guard bolted to.)
A good sized chunk of the subframe saw some rash as well.
It also chucked the chain into the air and then went twirling town the highway at about 6 other bikes behind me.

Second time it just spit the chain straight down onto the road and didn't damage anything at all.

On the Cr250 it got stuck in the chain guide and then wrapped up in the rear wheel.

Fun fun fun!
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
patgas

Post by patgas »

i had one go on a crf450 whilst going full tilt up a widiwmaker,it whent through ignition cover and smashed crank case ,very expensive
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

so where can I get a nice steel one?
agent

Post by agent »

I am interested in a steel one as well ............... Anyone?

can the crf ones be adapted?

Rick :?:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Had a guy at a race a month ago have a rock get dragged into the case saver. It totally destroyed his yz250- needed new case + tranny
03 CRF450/85 500
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

A steel case saver is only as strong as the bolts that hold it on. :wink:
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

case saver OEM

throttle tube OEM
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You dont want a steel case saver.

The aluminum one is meant to be sacrificial.... the steel one is going to tear....shit.......up.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

AlisoBob wrote:You dont want a steel case saver.

The aluminum one is meant to be sacrificial.... the steel one is going to tear....shit.......up.
:wink:
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

Myself alisobob and mfdb had a discussion about case savers on saturday night.. if you buy a case saver that is harder than the material its bolted too your gonna rip apart the case no doubt. Just stick with an OEM case saver and call it even.. that was the saver breaks and not your case.
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

When I first bought my '90 cr500 it didnt have a case saver.
Turns out that the chain had taken out the saver, and case. The threaded boss the saver was bolted to was broke out and the clutch cam area had been welded up. Thats not to say the chain wasnt thrown 2x, once with and once w/o the case saver. I have no way of knowing. The only thing that I do know about the bike is that it had had a hard previous life.
Brit's queer
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

If I remember correctly, DeWayne makes case savers that bolt onto the oem spot, buy extends further out to stop the chain from bunching up.
if you can keep the chain from bunch up, it'll just go out the bottom and end up on the ground. the OEM case savers are really short, so there isn't really enough to keep the chain from bunching up, getting jammed in ther and breaking off the bosses the case saver bolts to.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

TYSTYX wrote:A steel case saver is only as strong as the bolts that hold it on. :wink:
you mean.. as good as the sheer strength of the bolt... and that should be significant..

anyway.. after breaking a maintained chain on a HawkGT.. ive determined that chain fate is determined by motorcycle gods, and thus, breakage must always be assumed to be a possibility.
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

MrDude_1 wrote:
TYSTYX wrote:A steel case saver is only as strong as the bolts that hold it on. :wink:
you mean.. as good as the sheer strength of the bolt... and that should be significant..
No the weakness is not the bolt, but rather the aluminum the bolt threads into
Brit's queer
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ive never heard of, nor seen photos of a good qaulity chain break in half :?. i dont see it physically possible for cr500 to break 9,000lb strength chain

my guess of what happens:

1- masterlink improperly installed
2- chain too loose and it jumps ship
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I run DID gold x-rings on all of my bikes and have never had a chain break... *knock-knock
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Travis

Post by Travis »

I have never saw a chain break either. Most I see stretch then get thrown off. Then they bunch up and break shit. I had one roll off on my 86 lt 250r. When it bunched up it got so bound up that it broke the case saver off and then wadded between the gear, shifter, and case that it broke my sproket. It jumped at WFO. :shock: Anyway I had to take an Air Chisel to knock the remainder of the gear off then the chain fell off.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee