steahly flywheel weight questions

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
MrDude_1

steahly flywheel weight questions

Post by MrDude_1 »

hey,
I have a steahly flywheel weight on my CR, and I need to pull the flywheel off to put my lighting coil on.

Does anyone know what size\pitch bolts screw into the steahly weight? Are they standard or metric?

last, does anyone have any tips for me? Ive never removed the flywheel from a CR before.

From what i see, i just back off the set screws on the edge, spin the flywheel weight like a reverse thread nut(aka whats normally "tighten") and then i have the bare flywheel pressed on.
screw the pullers outer threads into the flywheel, then tighten the puller, and it pops off.
Do my lighting coil thing.
then to install the flywheel, i tighten the weight/nut down.. right? theres no install tool... right?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Don't know about the weight, but you got it right about the R & R, no special install tool; just watch that the key in the crank stays seated when you put the flywheel back on.

Pushed one off the back side on my 90 Quadzilla, it stuck to the magnet on the flywheel. Fired it up and went about 10 feet before it died, took forever to figure it out.
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

eyesky2002 wrote:Don't know about the weight, but you got it right about the R & R, no special install tool; just watch that the key in the crank stays seated when you put the flywheel back on.

Pushed one off the back side on my 90 Quadzilla, it stuck to the magnet on the flywheel. Fired it up and went about 10 feet before it died, took forever to figure it out.
cool. thanks for confirming the install and the keyway tip... i'll keep an eye on that.

really all i need to know then is the bolts that thread into the weight. id just buy their tool, but i want to be riding it this weekend. im basically making the tool by welding a nut to a piece of bar stock.. that part is easy.
i just cant find a bolt that will thread into the flywheel. i had a few metric ones that were close, but wrong thread pitch.
exackery

Post by exackery »

They are 1/4 UNC. Not metric
exackery

Post by exackery »

exackery

Post by exackery »

exackery

Post by exackery »

They are 1/4 UNC not metric. Buy some grade 8 so they don't bend.
exackery

Post by exackery »

oops sorry about all the posts something funky was happening
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

The crank is NOT reversed thread!! You need to torque the Stehly flywheel weight just like you would if it was the stock flange nut...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

M.F.D.B. wrote:The crank is NOT reversed thread!! You need to torque the Stehly flywheel weight just like you would if it was the stock flange nut...
yea... i figured that out once i started to press waaaay to hard on the breaker bar....
and yes, i can now confirm they're 1/4-20 bolts for the tool.

So get this.. i go through all this to put this lighting coil on...borrow pullers, buy drill/tap, bolts, etc... get it all apart and on the bench.... and the coil doesnt fit. plastic has a little flash on it.. ok, dremel that.
now i fit it into the backing plate.
i goto slip the flywheel over.. and... coil is too fat..

when they wrapped it, they made it too big to fit between the tight spot in the center... it hits both the inside and outside edge of the flywheel..

so i carefully get to cut away the hot glue used to hold it from unwrapping.. and get to manually unwrap a good bit, and then have to re-wrap it so it clears.. i still ended up cutting a good 8" of wire off the coil..

the whole ordeal took so much of my time that i couldnt finish it in my spare time this weekend... its all together, i just need to put the tank back on, set her on the ground and see if she makes electrical power...

ignition coil still works.. i kicked it by hand with the plug in my other hand holding it to the head... yea... shocked the fuck out of myself.. havent done that in years... thats when i realised it was 1am on sunday, and i needed to get to bed. :lol:

overall i have to say.. this moose lighting coil kinda sucks. its bad enough that it doesnt make any real power, if it works as expected.... but it doesnt even fit right. i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

I feel your pain. The first Moose coil was mispackaged, it was actually an ignition coil not a lighting coil. Then they sent me the correct one and told me I would "possibly have to remove A set of windings". Well I had to remove TWO and the thing barely puts out any light. Its not even usable (for an H4 bulb) unless I rig up some sort of LED light.
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee