04 450 chassis 500AC

Come on in, No registration needed.... Thinkin' about stepping up to the ultimate dirtbike? Ask any questions you need answered.

ALSO: Post anything your looking for, or that is taking up space and you want to get ride of.. ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE BETWEEN THE BUYER / SELLER!
chachi243

04 450 chassis 500AC

Post by chachi243 »

i got the motor from astroman, and the kid rode the bike 5 times....now there is a good rattle... piston? wrist pin or rod bearing? we havent even looked but the kid says maybe he just wants a 250 and some dough ... this bike scared him a bit (he is throttle happy) SO
2004 CRF450R clean title, with a 90 CR500 motor all fabrication is done, FMF pipe and silencer, everything else is stock.. the motor just needs love. it isnt locked up, but we havent looked at it so i won't speculate as to how bad it is... he did limp it back to the truck (1/4 mile) and it ran so we don't freakin know..... anyway he is broke from the build so i doubt it'll get fixed or ridden anytime soon.... bike is in bakersfield, he wants to trade for an 02 or newer CR250R plus a little bit o cash or looking to get 3500 delivered halfway in socal for the bike AS IS. a good bike to buy if you are one of those guys who wants to go through everything yourself and have it all fresh or for someone who has their own motor all ready to bolt in and keep this one for a spare after repairing it ( or fix it and sell it on eby for $$$)....email me for specific pics of the conversion or with REASONABLE OFFERS/TRADES. Thanks for looking, Sean
AngryShawn

Post by AngryShawn »

pm sent
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

that sucks man. i would be interested to know what the mechanical problem is, giving these motors are bomb proof if setup and built properly
chachi243

crap

Post by chachi243 »

okay, hole in bottom of cases means the rod went "see ya"
so now for sale, one 450 roller modded to accept a CR500 motor, with carb, stock reeds and intake, all electronics, pipe and silencer included.... make offer.... :cussing:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

oh my, thats not good. any idea why the rod let go? are you positive he didnt hit a rock and break the hole? ive heard of that happening
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

got any photos? and is that a red sticker bike
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

didnt you buy a new bike a few days ago? :lol:
DPinDet

04 conversion

Post by DPinDet »

I may be interested. Can you post some pics?

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

100hp honda wrote:didnt you buy a new bike a few days ago? :lol:
nope I missed it
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Yep it's a red sticker bike. If I remember right anything '03 and newer besides the X models are red.
chachi243

yeah its a red sticker machine

Post by chachi243 »

unless you put the green sticker from your green sticker bike on a piece of plastic and zip tie it to the suspension of whatever youre ridin with a sparky. i finally photobucketed the deal so heres what i got.....
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

pm sent
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

interesting. i bet the piston came apart and the crank shoved it through the bottom. more than likely a cast piston :lol: . i have hard time believing you busted that rod, but it could happen i guess. if you did infact limp it back to your truck as you claim, that throws the broken rod theory out the window though
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

I wanna know more about this failure, because rod breakage on cr500's is unheard of. You can run these stock bottom ends on alky, nitrous etc. for years and the bottom ends are solid. Pull that jug and lets see what really is broken, I'm betting on the piston as well.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

of course it was the cast piston that let go :lol: . plus he said he limped it back to the truck. the motor would of died instanly with a busted rod. it would however still beable to run to some degree with a broken piston. ill guess it had the famous intake skirt crack and had been rode for a long time that way, eventualy the skirt busted, but still allowed the motor to operate long enough to return to a pickup. chachi243, im not trying place blame on why, where, or how this happened, or whos fault it is. im only pointing out what i think has happened, so dont take it the wrong way.
chachi243

no offense taken

Post by chachi243 »

yeah you guys are on it... im sure it was the piston skirt too, but as far as anyone saying cast is the reason, ive had much worse luck with forged pistons as far as failure rate, not necessarily broken skirts but ring and heat issues... this obviously is due to either a blown out of round bore or something that would cause the piston to fail early (astroman says the motor had an original bore but he put a fresh piston in it when he built it)... either way i am not holding him responsible as a used motor is a used motor, i know anyone takes a chance and how could he have known it was close to letting go.... either way, if all that crap went around the bottom end, then the rod bearing and crank will still need attention, besides the bore and possibly the head if it was a wrist pin bearing issue....as far as the case, iv'e welded worse but there is already some JB around the drain plug so its like putting another bandaid on a pretty used up case half.... i just know they are out of bread and the kid wants to pimp his truck..... i suppose a new bore, and top end, and then maybe rod bearings on the crank and crank bearings in the case and seals.... should be an easy fix but they are over it... any interested parties contact me with contact info and i'll pass it on to the dad so they can make up their minds...
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

100HP likes forged, I like cast, that is the main difference between us. :lol: Other than that, we are good buds, but we will fight to the death over the ProX vs. Wiseco debate, and a cage match between us is pending in Az. :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ive seen it allot....Motor cracks cast piston. Mechanic hones the cylinder (making the root cause even worse) and the replacement piston fails even quicker than the stocker did.

Cast pistons are my choice too, but never run them past their recomended piston / cylinder wall clearance.
chachi243

beuhler

Post by chachi243 »

anyone..... anyone...... still for sale
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

still 3500 for a roller?
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
chachi243

uh no

Post by chachi243 »

3200 cash in person in bakersfield, no wadded motor, but said "roller" includes cables, PJ carb, flattrack intake and filter, fmf pipe, silencer, and all electronics.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

is LEWISCLAN missing in action? usually he is all over these bikes before anyone else gets a chance :lol:
chachi243

Cali

Post by chachi243 »

I think he wants a green sticker bike for cali, this one has a red... a reasonable offer might be considered...
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i didnt hear the final word on what truely happened? did the piston skirt bust and got kicked into the bottom? the best i can tell from the photo only the left half is broke- doubtful the crank took much damage as it pretty hard steel. left side case i think is only $267- maybe cheaper from SH. if the damage isnt too severe you might be better off fixing it and selling as a good running complete bike. just my .02
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I cant afford the $$ on this one .