1988 motor upgrade?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
moto863

1988 motor upgrade?

Post by moto863 »

I currently have two CR500 motors, one is a 1988 and I have a 1997. Looking at the two motors, has anyone ever tried to use an 89 or newer cylinder on an 88? I would need to get a cylinder and the right side cover so the water pump outlet went straight up. I only ask as this past weekend I needed a right side cover gasket for my 97 and noticed that it shared the same gasket part number as the 88. Obviously my 97 motor is together and I would rather not take it apart to try it on the 88.

I've been saving the 88 for a rainy day project and if I don't have to deal with the plumbing going to the back of the cylinder, I would rather use the newer parts on it.

Hopefully someone else had the same idea or managed to try it and knows if it works.

Anyone?
Gen 2 A/F - 88 engine
04 CRF 450
SEOINAGE

Post by SEOINAGE »

I believe the 88 is one that is kind of on it's own. 85-87 work together, and then 89-01 are interchangeable.

I have an '88 I am starting my conversion. Just plan on replacing the right side inner case cover and routing the hose up and back.