01 Gen2 Conversion - DONE!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

More updates. Motor is done and re-assembled, and installed. Ended up making some head stays - came out good!

Another shot:

Coil:

Radiators:

Will have to space the right rad due to Y being raised. Left side hits pipe. I may have to heat the pipe and adjust it some...ugh. Anyone else encounter this?

Desert tank clears without modification:

Trial fit subframe and tank. Cut off rear pipe mount. Had to modify front pipe mount holes. Exhaust has a lot of tension on it when bolted into place...wonder if it got tweaked or thats just the way it is. :?

This process is time consuming! Well, it'll be all good when its done...hopefully soon!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

hoofarted

Its Done!

Post by hoofarted »

Update! Since my last post, I realized that I did indeed tweak my pipe at pismo. Straightened that out, made a lower rad spacer on the RH rad to clear the Y. Extended the coil signal/ground wires. Exhaust was tight getting it on - but its on.

I finally got the rest put together last night and wanted to take it for a test ride. Too bad it was pitch black outside due to no moon being present. Ugh. Primer kicked it like usual and started on 1st kick! So I took it for a quick spin up and down my driveway. My initial impression was DAMN! Where'd my vibes go? It is really smooth. And wheelie action is insane. Also realized that my brakes need to be bled - found that at the last second... :shock: Also realized why the PO used some sort of sealant on the side cover...as it leaks oil past the gasket areas. :x So I have to bleed the brakes, take the side cover off and seal it up. Anyone else have this issue of leaking oil?

Oh and some pics:

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ooohhhhhh!!!!! SHWING!!!! :D
and on the pile of 500 motors I have assembeled repeatedly, I've never had a leaky side cover :?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

awesome man...just don't break your f'n ankle on your 3rd ride and be out for 6 months like i did... :x
atank

Post by atank »

Great Conversion, I bet she handles well! :lol:
MICK

Post by MICK »

Sweet ass build Hoofarted!!! Looks really good. You're gonna have so much more fun roosting with an AF than you ever have before :headbang:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Looks really good man. I had to space out my rads too. How big is your dez tank? Good job.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Thanks for the compliments fellas! Haven't had time to do a real ride yet but plan to next weekend. In the little bit I did do, it sure was fun!

JBaze, I am running the IMS 3.7Gal. tank. I made a fresh mix of 927 in a 5Gal container and was able to fill both my Gen1 250 and Gen2 500 - and that was it! Tank is large - but will last a long time! Thank you for your suggestions! Its almost a mirror image of your build.

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Nice job bro!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

...Bump...TTT

CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

The 98 with the 01 engine in the first picture on page one won't go far without a chain on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey man thats a good build,looks amazing.
I had forgotten about your build until now.
I am glad you got it finished and enjoying it.
I have an 01 engine that leaks oil out the clutch case at the moment, usually due to gasket damage.
Redbull500

Post by Redbull500 »

How hard was it to get the IMS 3.7 gallon to fit?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Redbull500 wrote:How hard was it to get the IMS 3.7 gallon to fit?
If you would have read the thread you would have seen that he said the tank clears without modification. It is a gen 2 tank
Kevin
Redbull500

Post by Redbull500 »

Sorry I did read it but it said desert tank fits without modification, never been to a desert here in Canada lol, was making sure that the IMS 3.7 was not a different one, new to 500's and extensive mods, appreciate the feedback
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Redbull500 wrote:Sorry I did read it but it said desert tank fits without modification, never been to a desert here in Canada lol, was making sure that the IMS 3.7 was not a different one, new to 500's and extensive mods, appreciate the feedback
Dont mind grumpy old me. In my opinion the clarke 3.2 that i run has plenty of capacity and i think look wise it far superior to the gen 2 stuff. Im sensing some hesitation from you about modding the gas tank but its really not too bad. I did mine when it was brand new out the box and i was worried about wrecking it but I just took my time and it was no problem. It has been holding fuel for awhile now. There is a thread about modding tanks on here that Alisobob did.
Kevin
Redbull500

Post by Redbull500 »

Perfect thanks ill just go with the gen 3 clarke 3.2 gallon then, and ya I will review bobs gas tank molding post really well before I do anything