Fuel tank help.

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
crashing_sux

Fuel tank help.

Post by crashing_sux »

I already posted a similar thread looking to buy a tank for my 500AF conversion but figured I would post here looking for services as well. I need to get a tank on my 500, haven't ridden the poor thing in over a year because I haven't had the patience to get a tank working on it. Does anyone know of a member or shop I can send my CRFX tank to to get modded to fit with my 500 motor? I've played around with it but I'm just no good at it.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Modded as in its plastic and you just need the shape changed to fit over TOP of your 500? Heat gun, buddy. All you need . I did mine in 2 attempts. The first time I didn't push the area up far enough. Bob has a posting on this somewhere , maybe in his 250F build.
Quick explanation. I put tank upside down, between my knees, supported at 1 end by a block of wood. Installed my outlet into the tank, you want it to hold shape in the area. Take a heat gun and heat the area AROUND the outlet in a circle, don't focus heat in 1 area. Bob used 2 guns I believe, I didn't need to. Have a big hammer ready, I had a 5lb. lump. Also have a compressed air line with the tip out of the blaster. Maximum air flow, not a 1/8 inch hole.
Start putting the heat to it, circling with your gun, over a radius a couple inches outside the outlet. I was maybe a couple minutes tops, probably didn't need to wait that long. Grab your hammer, hold onto the head and push down on the outlet with the handle end. If you're happy with distance you moved it, grab your air hose and put the cold air to the area. Cools super fast, no need to sit and wait around holding the hammer 5 minutes. DO NOT pull the hammer away until you're sure it's cooled down. Try it on the bike, if it doesn't clear, repeat. I basically had to move mine the height of the outlet itself, an inch and a half. Measured it before I started, so I would know what I was looking for. Good luck, it's easy.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

If you dont have a air compressor a cup of cold water works great too. Scooter is right heat around the area you want to move and heat evenly.
Kevin
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

When bob modified his tank I was on the phone with him, the conversation gave me a mental image something like this...
(its as close as i could get working with "paint")

freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:When bob modified his tank I was on the phone with him, the conversation gave me a mental image something like this...
(its as close as i could get working with "paint")

No No remember roosty that photo is about RideRed :wink:
Kevin
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

It originated from talking with bob, he was buring himself with the heatgun while we talked, It was more fitting for ridered once he made an attempt or 3 :lol:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Anyone ever tried using a handheld vacuum pump? (mity-vac).

With petcock and cap installed, hook the vacuum pump onto the vent hose and once hot apply a little pressure to pull in....

Kinda like the opposite of heating dents out of a pipe.

I know I've heard of some people using heat and an air pump to try to expand the tank slightly to gain some extra capacity.
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

I tried on two, first one ended up leaking and I could never seal it up. Second just didn't want to keep the shape, every time it cooled it expanded again.

Am I the only one that had trouble with it not holding shape as it cools? After ruining one tank and buying a second I just didn't want to risk ruining another.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I bought this tank on flebay last week and it sits on there with plenty of plug clearance. I have not bolted up shrouds, etc so I cannot tell you how well it's going to fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180603895309
riverman

Post by riverman »

I have had nothing but problems with the tank. First stock tank was a total disaster ripped while working on it. I think it was to much heat. Got another from ebay it went better but started leaking after a few rides, could not get it to stop leaking. Third tank went well and lasted a couple of months and started leaking and will not stop. I now beleive the stock tank material changes when heated and the heat from the bike and the vibration makes them break down.
Bob used an after market tank. He has a thread on the tank. I'm afraid to spend 250$ on a tank and have the same problem down the road. So i'm in the same situation. The aluminuim tank look to be the only solution for me maybe over the winter.
Mik329 show some pic's of this tank on your bike. What gen bike are you using it on?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I have to admit that my tank was an 04 CR450. Simple mod, just push a small area straight up. Seeing those pics of that tank certainly make it look a little more complicated. Having said that, I'm sure done properly, you would succeed. Just use the right method.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mik329 wrote:I bought this tank on flebay last week and it sits on there with plenty of plug clearance. I have not bolted up shrouds, etc so I cannot tell you how well it's going to fit.

If you want the proper tank...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acerbis-Fuel-Ta ... 45fe6e94f6

Buy this one Mik, and have it shipped to me for modifications..... No worries....

:wink:
riverman

Post by riverman »

The price is the best i have seen.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Hold off on buying a new tank. I have the Acerbis tank - already pre-formed by Bob. But I think it will not work with my Scott steering damper. Let me wash the bike today and see what's what. If it doesn't fit it will be up for sale.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

We have the same chassis, tank, and damper... it should fit.

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... &start=430

Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

AlisoBob wrote:
Mik329 wrote:I bought this tank on flebay last week and it sits on there with plenty of plug clearance. I have not bolted up shrouds, etc so I cannot tell you how well it's going to fit.

If you want the proper tank...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acerbis-Fuel-Ta ... 45fe6e94f6

Buy this one Mik, and have it shipped to me for modifications..... No worries....

:wink:
I will take you up on that IF I ship this latest build to my moms in
Escondido . I'd like to ride Glamis at least once a year and maybe do your Pismo shin dig. It will be a track bike if is stays here so the small tank will be fine.