2003 CR250 ignition

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gmbond

2003 CR250 ignition

Post by Gmbond »

Hey, I'm planning on doing an install of a spare 03 cr250 ignition I've got onto my AF. When I removed the 16oz flywheel weight the donor motor came with, it felt like the bike had lost 15lbs off the front wheel. And from what I've heard this will do it all over again. (and hopefully make it easier to start...)

Only problem is ive searched and read and searched again and I can't seem to find the awesome how to that I have seen posted here before for the gen3 ignition. I know Roosty had pics and dimensions of a spacer ring and details on timing...

If anyone can link me in the right direction, or we can make this a how to on it's own.

Thanks hoons!
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Well I'll take the lack of response as a hint that I should get off my ass and do this with pictures so our community can benefit, I'm not breaking new ground here, and I'm sure there are easier and or better ways about this, any input is always appreciated!!

What you start with (back of the 2003 Cr250 stator) this raised section has to go down to flush with the bottom of the groove

How I removed the raised section, very slowly with an endmill and a cross-slide vise on a Craftsman bench top drill press, using ATF as a lube.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

These is the obligatory flywheel comparison photos!
The stacked photo has the Key-ways lined up (by eye as best as possible) and it appears that the timing tabs are almost in line, other than the 250 starts about 1.5mm sooner and ends 1.5mm later. Just appears to be a longer tab.

The stator comparo photos!

So I need to pickup an appropriately sized oring to center onto the crank seal. The 250 stator bolted onto the 500 cases with the bolt heads lined up perfectly to the marks from beig tightened in place puts the case timing tab perfectly in line with the mark in the stator plate, is this how I should be running it? I'll grab more photos tomorrow hopefully I'll have more time to work on it.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I will also weigh the two flywheels to give a idea of what is coming off.
More photos and info to come!
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Ok, so the 500 flywheel is roughly 1lb 6oz

The 03 250 flywheel is 1lb 2oz and quite a bit smaller diameter
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Got the oring, went with a 27mm from a napa master kit. Needed to file the outside diameter a little, used a flat file and the chuck of the drill press.

Also got a new piece of jewelry in the mail today...

Trying to get more of these. Uses the stock Honda rubber gasket
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Ok I'm seeking assistance and advice here,

Got the ignition all on, lined up to stock timing marks,

Started normal when cold, idled high... Once choke was off wouldn't idle, stalled real easy. Warmed up, tried to rev up and wouldn't "clean out" popped lagged when revved out.

Tried to restart, it kicked back and backfired, "chuuufff" wouldn't restart easily, kicked back hard!

I'm thinking timing must be off, any suggestions on how to set it closer to proper??

Thanks!
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Well somehow I've missed this

http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... ght=#92216

So now I need to slot the holes further, any idea of a measurement of how much to drill to achieve this?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

try full advance and retarded, and see what happens

check the key is still good

roll starting may be a good idea until you get it figured out
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i dont know but something tells me its advanced to far when the piston kicks back
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gmbond wrote:Well I'll take the lack of response as a hint that I should get off my ass and do this with pictures so our community can benefit, I'm not breaking new ground here, and I'm sure there are easier and or better ways about this, any input is always appreciated!!
When nobody responds... its usually because the answer is obvious...

This is the first sticky in the "Tech Section"...

"CR250-99 model stator / CDI up grade"

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... php?t=8044

You did a good job on your thread though....

:wink:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

theres a decent amount of info about the 99, 02-07 not so much
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Bob, you've got no idea how much time I've enjoyed reading every thread I can find about this lol. The 99 and the analog 250 ignitions are well documented.

I want to have an easy to follow way to use 02-07 ignition. And once the running is down pat, I'll show how to run lights off of it without any additional parts required.

2strokes I agree the kickback made me nervous and not want to damage anything, bump starting may be a good idea.

100hp - I would have thought the same thing, too far advanced, but the other thread says it needs 10 degrees more advance... Will carefully try both!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if it starts running backwards give it to a buddy and record a 3rd gear wfo start :lol:
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

backwards hillclimb would be the shit :cool:
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

Gmbond wrote:Ok I'm seeking assistance and advice here,

Got the ignition all on, lined up to stock timing marks,

Started normal when cold, idled high... Once choke was off wouldn't idle, stalled real easy. Warmed up, tried to rev up and wouldn't "clean out" popped lagged when revved out.

Tried to restart, it kicked back and backfired, "chuuufff" wouldn't restart easily, kicked back hard!

I'm thinking timing must be off, any suggestions on how to set it closer to proper??

Thanks!
hey bond how you doing yes i have that complete ignition with the tps carb on ...yes you need to advance the timing i slotted the slots about 10mm to get it right obviously you would need to set it according to your altitude and so on would be great if you could get it on a dyna and tune it you are also gonna need to rejet it the different timing curve also causes a vacuum difference which changes the carb settings... iv have got it right and am very happy with it its a different bike the ignition also has traction control which you will notice ...it also has enough juice in the coil to run a light or charge a battery which already has a rectifier wired in the system i used the complete system coil included and yes it starts easier.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

craigf40

any chance you could post a picture of the stator plate after youve modded it, or even installed, showing the final line up between the timing tab on the cases and the stator plate?

if its easier you could also send me a pic and i'll post it for you

gmbond(at)hotmail(dot)com

thanks for the help
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

Gmbond wrote:craigf40

any chance you could post a picture of the stator plate after youve modded it, or even installed, showing the final line up between the timing tab on the cases and the stator plate?

if its easier you could also send me a pic and i'll post it for you

gmbond(at)hotmail(dot)com

thanks for the help
hey gmbond i am currently working in the DRC congo west africa il be home 20th december and i can take the cover off and take a pic no problem ...but sorry until then nothing i can do
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

craigf40

thanks, hopefully i'll have this up and running tomorrow if i get a chance to do some tune/play time. (and remember to bring my die grinder home from work)

Once i get it it figured where or how much i need to slot the holes and what marks to line up i'll try to get some good clear pictures to post, anything additional you can add is definetly appreciated.

you said you needed to slot the holes about 10mm, just so i'm clearer on that, it is about 10mm from the original hole? rotating the plate clockwise? am i correct?

thanks again
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Hey Mike, rotating the plate clockwise advances the ignition. So just use that as a reference. Whatever it is you want to accomplish.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

hey, sorry I missed this thread.
I ran a 2003 system. Had it set on strait up with the lockout on the plate. no problems at all. 9i did have trouble but it was a crank seal not the ignition)
Shaggy from australia had said he changed his base timing 10degrees also.
I don't know what kinda trouble you are having other than that a ground could be the issue. they are very picky about a good ground.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Roosty
that seems weird that craigf40 and bean/shaggy had to advance 10mm(10degrees?) but you said yours ran alright with the stock lockplate aligned to stock markings... mine would not rev out and wouldnt restart after it stalled.

I'll recheck everything (grounds) and see if i can check it tomorrow and try... I will be bump starting so it doesnt kick back and break anything... l

report back tomorrow with more pictures.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

mine was running great until it started detonating bad from the seal leak. took 2nd place at the grass drags with it :wink:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

It's funny you say about a seal leak, as it idled up when I first started it almost as if it had an air leak. I had done nothing but swap the ignition and wash it since the last ride and It worked awesome then.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

maybee i had another effect also. what pilot are you on now?