Service Hondas "Improved Ignition" vs OEM

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
redrocket190

Re: More on Service Honda Ignition...

Post by redrocket190 »

redrocket190 wrote:
Knos wrote:How did you go swapping the wires mate?? any good? im looking at an AFX some time this year to
I got distracted with racing at "Day in the Dirt", but there is a stock ignition waiting for me in Aliso Viejo and I'll get to it ASAP this week...
I checked my ignition and the wires are "matched" at the connectors. I have four wires coming from the stator (blue, white, blue/white and green/white) to the CDI box. Three wires (black/yellow x2, green) go from the CDI box to the coil although only one black/yellow wire is connected. Two wires (black/white, green) go from the CDI box towards the handlebar where I assume they connect at the kill switch.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Knos

Post by Knos »

so whats the verdict you reakon?? what if its jetted correctly will it start better??

cause i want one of those AFX's bad! :D
500's are for girl's.... damn
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

It's jetted well enough to start and run - when it cares to. This is a combination of operator "error" (i.e. a inability/reluctance to "rabbit kick"), inherent design, and maybe a fault. I am predicting that with a stock ignition in place it will start up just like the 1999 I originally rode....
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mr. Stiles is in possesion of a 100% known-to-be-good OEM ignition , and a flywheel puller....

....stay tuned.
Knos

Post by Knos »

redrocket190 wrote:It's jetted well enough to start and run - when it cares to. This is a combination of operator "error" (i.e. a inability/reluctance to "rabbit kick"), inherent design, and maybe a fault. I am predicting that with a stock ignition in place it will start up just like the 1999 I originally rode....
doesnt sound like a good ignition then??

oh well will wait to here the out come on the oem one put in.
500's are for girl's.... damn
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I just finished installing the stock ignition that I got from Jay via Bob. The bike started up 2nd kick. I am going to keep this ignition on the bike until I ride at Milestone next Friday.

In the meanwhile I should mention AJ from Service Honda sent me a complete new Electrosport ignition set. Good customer service given the bike is not under any kind of warranty. I will give that ignition a try the next time out after Milestone.

To Bob and Jay - thank you and I hope in someway I can repay the help in the future.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I would send all the S/H stuff back, and ask for a brand new OEM set up, for all the trouble you have been through.

OEM is about $700 for everything, but I would call it fair.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl ... 068439/6#6

Sounds like there are still a few bugs to work out...

:roll:
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

If the efffin' "improved ignition" doesn't allow starting within 1-2 kicks cold, then how in heck do you market it as improved.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

I think I have an idea. Its a CDI so maybe short quick kicks are necessary to build up enough capacitance for it to jump the gap. Has anyone actually tried the rabbit kicks?? Taking a few seconds between kicks to do the "traditional" starting method might be long enough for the cap to dump what little charge the first kick made.

My Moose (electrosport) coil is a waste of money. Last weekend at Dumont I had to rev the snot out of the bike to get any somewhat useable light and that just caused me to run real hot. (it was below 50 degrees so forget about summer rides). I really wanty a DC setup good enough to run HID's. Has anyone verifed that you CAN NOT use the SH lighting parts with a stock ignition?? Its possible they "say" no because they dont offer the parts seperate... :wink:

Power is power after all, so if its generating it for a traditional or CDI whats the difference??
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Electrosport makes the S/H stuff... Stiles has a garage full of it.

I'm going to try to make it over there this week, and see if I can make heads or tails out of whats possible.

If the electrosport stator ( 150 watt+) will power the OEM ignition box.. I think thats a winner.....
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote:Electrosport makes the S/H stuff... Stiles has a garage full of it.

I'm going to try to make it over there this week, and see if I can make heads or tails out of whats possible.

If the electrosport stator ( 150 watt+) will power the OEM ignition box.. I think thats a winner.....
Thats what im hoping!! :wink:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... s&start=15

The Cyclops is a great light too, didnt bring it to Dumont, but I rode with it at Pismo.... Friggin' BRIGHT!
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote:http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... s&start=15

The Cyclops is a great light too, didnt bring it to Dumont, but I rode with it at Pismo.... Friggin' BRIGHT!
Yeah I remember, I just didnt see much of you using it. The HID setup is looking real nice!! I have some bookoo expensive batteries for my helicopters (Lithium Polymer) that weigh about as much as a fart and the size of 2 packs of gum...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

Interesting topic. I knew that SH ignition wasn't anything better than a glorified iCat

Both products = JUNK!
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bigpower

Post by bigpower »

100hp honda wrote:you didnt hear this from me :nyah:

http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl ... 068439/0#0

I could buy a lot of beer for 500+ greenbacks, and have less of a hassle starting my bike after drinkin said 500+ greenbacks worth of beer.

But look at who bought that junk, AJ's "Dirty Knee Crew"
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Ive got 2 bikes with those units on them 1 works great 1-sucks they have shipped me out a relpacement for the hard to start unit. Ill be puting it on my stock AFC and will put the e-line on the hotrod...........
And I have yet to hit my knees
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
britincali

Post by britincali »

lewisclan wrote: And I have yet to hit my knees

You missed the joke J.........
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

lewisclan wrote: And I have yet to hit my knees
Never a shot at you, Jay, you're the real deal, like the rest of the gang around here
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Both products = JUNK!
Now what a minute, don't be mincin word, speek your mind man :lol:
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

ou812 wrote:
Both products = JUNK!
Now what a minute, don't be mincin word, speek your mind man :lol:
Ah shit, now yer gonna make me type

A long time ago, on a board far far away, like so far that its now deceased, guys were blowin smoke about the iCat. Don't need to go into too much of that, but from testing that Mr Higginson did, and from my own experiences with one(the 98 has one, thanx Roostmaster) it just wasn't what it was supposed to be. Still fouled plugs, no performance gain, well, noticable to me anyway.

Conclusion....
Better to spend 200 bux on 8 two fours of Sammy Adams than try to extract a millionth of a horsepower. On a lighter note, the bastard does get 28 mile/gallon

Now when this SH deal became the buzz, I thought KILLER, this might be the thing for puttin lights on the niner and getting a performance increase to boot.

But..........
I remembered the iCat, and got a bit skeptical. Shit, I can wind my own dam lighting coil using a stator from a CR80, a good regulator costs about 15 bux, and hell, i really don't need anymore power that might cause me a shitload of disappointment if it doesn't do what its supposed to.

Conclusion

Heres five pages worth, Jays got a good one, and one he needs to have one replaced. For $500, he should be boltin the shit on and riding no worries

What do I mean by no worries

It works the way its supposed to, out of the box, the day you get it, PERIOD.
No goony goo goo starting drill, no decrease in performance anywhere, like a $500 part should

I can see 1 or 2 units having a gremlin outta 10,000, not post after post.

But, a pole smoker like "I AM A HACK 258", a man who in my opinion shouldn't be allowed to touch any sort of power tool, will tell you its the greatest thing, cause Waggoners gang markets it. Then again, what would you expect out of a person who's so damn ugly that when he was a kid his parents had to tie a pork chop around his neck just to get the dog to play with him.

Glad I spent the money on beer, and just because I saved that jack, when I get my ass out to Kennedy Meadows this fall, I'M BUYIN!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

My quick opinion:
The iCat is junk science... period.

The S/H ignition ( made by Electrosport by the way) was originally designed for electric start applications. In a kick start situation it appears its hard to start judging from all the complaints the unit has received.... period.

Not a junk product, just a mis-applied one.

AJ told me a few times... " The ignition curve matches the oem one very closely".

I took that to mean exactly.

He still refuses to produce a plot of the curve..further sustaining my beliefs.

I think at the core of it, its a cheaper unit for him to buy ( The piece price out of the parts book for a oem system is like $700) that comes with a high output lighting stator.

He does stand behind the product very well. Everyone I know who has asked for a replacement unit has received one.

That does not mean that the replacements have worked any better though...

Time will tell where this all leads....

:roll:
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote: He does stand behind the product very well. Everyone I know who has asked for a replacement unit has received one.

That does not mean that the replacements have worked any better though...

Time will tell where this all leads....
X2...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
ou812

Post by ou812 »

But, a pole smoker like "I AM A HACK 258", a man who in my opinion shouldn't be allowed to touch any sort of power tool, will tell you its the greatest thing, cause Waggoners gang markets it. Then again, what would you expect out of a person who's so damn ugly that when he was a kid his parents had to tie a pork chop around his neck just to get the dog to play with him.
:rotfl:

Well here is the deal how I see it, I don't care if it is good or not, It is over priced.

If your looking for lots of lighting power get a E-line bolt on unit that way you can go back to stock when you don't need lights. If your after more spark get your stator coil rewound, if done right the pull from 2500 and up is great. that cost me $30. The last e-line went on ebay for $210 and that was with headlight and tail light.

Both a far cry from the SH price.