Clyde's ( GSS) Racing Engines?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i was refering to glens pic. appears the area at end of port is far greater than at the window. but maybe not
4Z

Post by 4Z »

blownbillybob wrote:I brought up his honing finish back in 08' when 4Z posted pics of glens work in the approved vender forum 4Z new it was f up and sent it else where to get fixed! Know one paid attention back then??????

All the proof was there he had pics of his cyl hone cabinet , had a cr 5 cyl in it with torque plate on it and a ball hone half way sticking out :shock:

Oh ! Yea I forgot smokey yunick used them with great success, I think the part glens not getting with the smokey stuff is the bores were honed and the ball hone was used to try and plateau the cyls, not just run a ball hone down a rough bored cyl and call it good to go!!!!!
Too bad that Mike and Glen didn't pan out. Bob stuck his neck out for both of them, in respect to the forum and Bob, I didn't think it was worth while to make a big stink. Figured it would work itself out. In the end, it seems that things did work out. Unfortunately, with plenty of frustration for some folk.

I am happy with the work Roosty did for me.....

Here is a pic of what BBB is talking about (that is NOT Glen's porting. Doug Ruth did it)

Link to all the pics:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/559346212kppDbz
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The main problem with both the Fachar and GSS shit was thay plenty of crap was going on for a long time, but nobody had the balls to bring it up, fearing they would screw up their own deal.... and in the end just sucked more Hoons into to the quicksand of shit before the word got around.

As soon as it hit my ears.... I tried to get the warning out, but it was too late.

Hopefully, if shit like this ever goes down again, Hoons on here think of their brothers as much as they would like their brothers to watch their back.

It pisses me off every day that Fachar still has so much crap to fix here, that will never happen.

What a total, Grade "A", cocksucker.
kptkyle

Post by kptkyle »

After reading all this i'm so freaked out, my dad was right. I usually just read posts but after getting on after not looking on here for a while and seeing that GSS went down the tube... Before a left for college i sent out my cylinder to get the trail port done, after my dad called me a dumbass and told me to just leave it. I put it together over Christmas. Given im no genius when it comes to that stuff. It all looked ok to me, i have pictures somewhere, i remember seeing some stuff wasn't perfectly symmetrical. My engine had the original bore and piston until then from 1990. So i think any improvment is good over that, the piston was cracked and it still hauled. Knowing i was only home a week or so I just slapped it together, it seem to run good but i only got to ride it in the snow a few times.

You guys think i should tare it apart this summer before i continue to ride it, and take a closer look at it. I wish one of you guys were my neighbors so you could check it out and tell me if its gonna be a problem.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If you know you have a cracked piston, then tare it down and fix it while it's relitivly cheap. a chunk of piston going through the bottom end can do some serious damage.
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

kptkyle wrote: My engine had the original bore and piston until then from 1990. So i think any improvement is good over that, the piston was cracked and it still hauled
You guys think its problem.
It was cracked
Not is cracked after he put it back together
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

AlisoBob wrote:, but nobody had the balls to bring it up, fearing they would screw up their own deal.... and in the end just sucked more Hoons into to the quicksand of shit before the word got around.

As soon as it hit my ears.... I tried to get the warning out, but it was too

What a total, Grade "A", cocksucker.
Did. You not read the post above yours that 4Z commented on,I brought this up in 08' in the approved vendor forum and I still have the pm from 4Z that said he contacted you about your vendor and the problem, he got know response back from you back in 08'???????
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

kptkyle wrote:... I just slapped it together, it seem to run good but i only got to ride it in the snow a few times.

You guys think i should tare it apart this summer before i continue to ride it....
Naaaa..... If you've had it out a few times, and it didnt scatter.... your good to go.
kptkyle

Post by kptkyle »

thanks, that makes me feel alot better. It seems like it rips, alot more pull especially the topend.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

heres a good explanaition why polish port has no performance benefit versus semi rough port. at the wall itself nothing really moves or moves very slow. the boundary layer may actually be even thicker with a polished surface causing less actual area for the gas to flow through. something to think about next time you want a mirror shine in the exhaust. because glens exh funnels out so much at the end of the tunnel, im wondering how much that may be contributing to a actual loss of power ?

One thing you must know, for example, is that the air moving through the engine, a mixture of gases, has many of the properties of a fluid. It even has the ability to "wet" a surface, and has viscosity, which means that air will cling to all surfaces within an engine in a layer that moves hardly at all no matter what the midstream velocity may be. This boundary layer's depth is influenced by gas temperature, and by the temperature of the surface on which it forms, as well as by the shape of the surface. Please understand that the layer is not solid; it is "shearing" with general flow throughout its depth - which may be as much as 0.100-inch - with movement increasing as to distance from the surface on which it is formed. And as close as 0.020-inch from the surface, flow may still be in the order of 80-percent of that in midstream, which means that the restriction formed by the boundary layer is not very great. Nonetheless, it is there, and it accounts for such things as round ports having less resistance to flow than square ports, area for area, and for the ability of a single port to match the flow of a pair of ports of somewhat larger area. It also accounts for the fact that flow resistance increases in direct proportion with the length of a port, and much of the resistance resulting from the shape of a particular port is due to that shape's creating a thick boundary layer, which becomes literally a plug inside the port. Generally speaking, boundary layers will be held to minimum depth on surfaces that "rise" (relative to the direction of flow) and gain in thickness on any surface that falls away. Thus, an intake trumpet ( velocity stack ), for example, should be tapered in slightly from the inlet end to the carburetor-by perhaps 2-3 degrees - in the interest of holding boundary layer thickness to a minimum. In that configuration, it will have appreciably less resistance to flow than a straight, parallel-wall tube. Similarly, transfer ports should diminish in cross-sectional area from their entrance in the crankcase toward their outlet in the cylinder.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Its polished to keep the shit from sticking to it like you're exh flange
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

You read to much!!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
4Z

Post by 4Z »

100hp honda wrote:heres a good explanaition why polish port has no performance benefit versus semi rough port. at the wall itself nothing really moves or moves very slow. the boundary layer may actually be even thicker with a polished surface causing less actual area for the gas to flow through. something to think about next time you want a mirror shine in the exhaust. because glens exh funnels out so much at the end of the tunnel, im wondering how much that may be contributing to a actual loss of power ?
Not quite a mirror shine (to keep stuff from sticking like Roosty said) and WIDE as possible port (without raising it) will maximize the exh port function due to the boundary layer issue (like you posted) gets the best of all possible. Having enough blow-down time is the goal for total evacuation and supercharging from the pipe for maximum cyl filling....... This is most noticed in the "big end" for motors that are running at full load and WFO. By keeping the roof the exhaust as close or closer to stock, bottom end torque is retained as much as possible. Trying to balance the best of both words and splitting hairs on port design to match the intended target you end up with a almost polished exhaust port that is as big as possible without being raised.
I have not been able to get a camera inside yet to watch all this happening to back up the theory, but until it can be done, will continue to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

good post 100.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:Its polished to keep the shit from sticking to it like you're exh flange
i hear people all the time on various websites swear it keeps shit from sticking but not one single person has been able to say why :? :? . you can see where i chipped it off. its about 1/16" thick build up.

does anyone here have first hand knowledge of the boundary layer physics and how it works ? not second hand hear say but first hand experience in this subject ? :eatdrink:

at this point in time i dont believe a smooth finish does anything for reducing the buildup. would be cool if someone had a logical reason why smooth surface reduces sticking. infact i think smooth surface increases boundary layer thickness and there for increased carbon accumulation.

bigbadbillybob step your ass to the keyboard and lets hear why a smooth surface makes less stick of the carbon :eatdrink: .

seems like one of the very first things a performance engine builder would learn is boundary layer and how it works ????????????? oh i forget billy your a machinist not a engine builder :lmao: . go sit back in the corner

ANYBODY ??????

why does this guy have a ton of carbon inside his pipe ? the wall surface is smooth as a babies ass.

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... hp?t=11197
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i'll tell you right now that mine doesnt have that, but i've bought some with it.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

smooth or not, i would of thought proper jetting would trump both. performance and cleanliness...

Another thing i've noticed heaps over the last few years is oil ratio's... too much old school philosophy combined with modern technology.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

proper jetting is always key. but thats a different subject. trying to find out what really happens at the wall interface between smooth and rough surface.
4Z

Post by 4Z »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i'll tell you right now that mine doesnt have that, but i've bought some with it.
X2
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i once bought a new looking pc pipe that someone had been running bean oil something in, had to be 2lbs heavier than my old pipe. I filled it with hot-tank solution to loosten the crud, looked like your flange. caked
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

There's alot more factors involved then just a smooth exh port finish!

Jetting,oil type,oil mix ratio,engine temp,out side temp!

The smoother the finish the harder it is for the oil to stick and build up the rougher the finish the easier it is for the oil to sit in the crevasses and craters boil out and turn to carbon,also the exh port is alum. The header is steal, the alum. Exh port is water cooled and can dissipate the heat faster then the air cooled steal header flange!

As the oil runs down the cooler alum exh port and hits the hotter steal flange it boils and cooks it, = build up!

Clyde next time you quote someone or put a bunch of peoples quotes together to make it sound like you made it up it's respectfull to put at the bottom of your post who you quoted from!!!

We all now you ain't no engineer all you are is a snow plow operated with a new die grinder who thinks he's aengine builder/ porter now!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I've never had the cake deal tho, stock flange or otherwise, maybee i'm getting enough heat into it to burn everything or the high rpm blowing it right out :lol:
not
brap - coast- shift - repeat :lol:

more like BRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP-shift-BRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP - repeat
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

I'm sure the cake shit isn't building up in 200 miles also it takes time to aguire? You figure you may ride in the winter with not alot of heat and the oil builds up ,here comes summer with elevated out side temps and your baking cup cakes inside your pipe
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i didnt quote anything or take credit for any of it. what i posted was from jennings book. your against books other wise you would of recognized the info

i may try the engineer forum and see what they say about boundary layer and wall texture. how far would a golf ball go if its smooth with no dimples ?
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

100hp honda wrote:i didnt quote anything or take credit for any of it. what i posted was from jennings book. your against books other wise you would of recognized the info?
You took it from his book which means you quoted it,so give the man his respect and say you got it from him at the end of your post

Oh and if you didn't know golf balls and exh ports are on two different programs

Which one are you on!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
coley13

Post by coley13 »

blownbillybob wrote:
100hp honda wrote:i didnt quote anything or take credit for any of it. what i posted was from jennings book. your against books other wise you would of recognized the info?
You took it from his book which means you quoted it,so give the man his respect and say you got it from him at the end of your post

Oh and if you didn't know golf balls and exh ports are on two different programs

Which one are you on!!!!
well hang on a minute, i think it may have merit. And there is certentainly no harm in learning more for ones knowledge.. Come to think of it i believe i seen valves that were dimpled for this very reason. Be it 4t or 2t the principle is still there so why not use it as a comparison and see if we can learn a thing or two.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off