Fuel tank which is better the R or the X tank

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
riverman

Fuel tank which is better the R or the X tank

Post by riverman »

The bike is a 04 CRF250R.
My tank has a small leak. I'm tired of screwwing with it. I'm going to buy another one and try again. Which is best the R or the X tank?
Easiest to modify and holds the most fuel when done?
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

The X tank is bigger than the R. If capacity is your goal go with an Acerbis tank. Bob put up instructions on how to "pop" the bottom of the tank.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
riverman

Post by riverman »

Yea I followed Bob's directions it seemed to work great. Then after a short ride time it started to leak on the lower side. I don't know if it is the heat or vibration or a combination of both. The tanks looks really thin in the area leaking. I'm going to buy another and give it a try. The R tanks is more plentiful and cheaper but if the X tanks is easier I'll get one.

Thanks
riverman

Post by riverman »

Got an 06 R tank today on ebay for 50$ shipped. Coming from the west coast. So when it gets here I'll give it another try. I'm going to look at making an aluminuim tank. Those that have done so do you machine the filler neck or can you buy one?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

redrocket190 wrote:If capacity is your goal go with an Acerbis tank. Bob put up instructions on how to "pop" the bottom of the tank.
Yup........
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

You will need to swap the front mount from the R tank to the X.
I still think that the X tank fits "willy nilly" on the R chasis
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The Acherbis tank is a "R" tank
riverman

Post by riverman »

riverman wrote:Got an 06 R tank today on ebay for 50$ shipped. Coming from the west coast. So when it gets here I'll give it another try. I'm going to look at making an aluminuim tank. Those that have done so do you machine the filler neck or can you buy one?
The R tank should be here Monday. I have read Bob's post many times and followed it to the letter. I think the tank had a flaw to begin with. It started leaking toward the back by the head stay. No rubbing it was really thin and leaked across the entire area where the recessed area started on the back side. I trashed it trying to patch it. Thats when I seen how thin it was.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The stock tanks are thinner than the Acerbis, and a different material.

polypropylene vs. polyethylene

The Acerbis tank is really the only one to use.
riverman

Post by riverman »

AlisoBob wrote:The stock tanks are thinner than the Acerbis, and a different material.

polypropylene vs. polyethylene

The Acerbis tank is really the only one to use.
Now you tell us.
skinarts tank in your sticky looks exactly like mine.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ive said several times that the Acerbis tank is the one to use.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

some pics of my Acherbis and a honda X tank that are modded for a gen 4 250f build.

Service honda did the X tank, MX dogger did the white one.

riverman

Post by riverman »

Well it did not go the way I wanted. But it may end up working. I think I'm getting it to hot. The back lower edge again started to open up, so while it was hot I took a piece of the orginal tank and melted it into the holes. Filled it with water last night and it is still full today. Pic's later.
keysey

Post by keysey »

The job on the white one looks good, seems the petcock will still nearly be the lowest point.
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Sean. Do you happen to have the part number on the White Acerbis tank. There seems to be a black and white with the same number when I looked it up online.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

As far as I know, th black has been discontinued....
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

anyone have a pic of the top of the acerbis tank installed, want to get one, but if it sticks up any more than stock its out of the question....
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish