GOT MY PWK !!!!!

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

qkenuf4u wrote:personally looking at that plug it looks pretty dam perfect... but i went from 32:1 to 20:1, changed the pilot out to a 55 from a 48 so it would rev (ie the reason i pulled the carb to see what was wrong) and my plug is nasty now.. ie the reason im going back to a 48 w/ 32:1 (91 oct w/ 927) plus the bike smokes A LOT more and theres def. spooge out the pipe/sliencer connection at 20:1 ... (still need to seal that up-tomorrows project)

also from what ive been told by a long time bike tech/racer the oil doesnt burn .. ie why we have smoke on a 2-stroke.... :?: so the more you put in the more youre gonna get out.... :?:

in my case i didnt change out the needle so it could very well be part of the spooge problem... but i kinda doubt it since its the same needle i had in w/ the 32:1 and 48 pilot with very little/no spooge and less smoke...

guess we will find out tomorrow when i get home and can mount the PWK up ..... :wink:
youve got spooge issues now but when you get the carb sorted, put your hand couple inches away from the exhaust and tell me your thoughts about what happens to the oil.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

btw i wasnt trying to convince anybody that certain ratios are better than others. just saying the results i found from doing my own experiment. i found no eveidence that more oil= more smoke/spooge. assuming your a/f ratio is adjusted to correspond with the extra oil.
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

100hp honda wrote:btw i wasnt trying to convince anybody that certain ratios are better than others. just saying the results i found from doing my own experiment. i found no eveidence that more oil= more smoke/spooge. assuming your a/f ratio is adjusted to correspond with the extra oil.
well ya that would be a given.. make it to rich and its gonna spooge no matter what ya do. unburnt fuel/oil out the exhaust = spooge... 100% agreed.... :wink: .. in my case i may have been able to put a 50 pilot in and it would have ran fine but i only had a 55 so thats what i put in... i know the 42 started the easiest/smoked the least and ran fine but that was just at an idle.. never got to ride it with the 42 in the PJ...
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

YAAAAAA WE HAVE AN IDLE !!!!! just gotta sort it all out jetting wise.. think its on the fat side... :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool:
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

qkenuf4u wrote:YAAAAAA WE HAVE AN IDLE !!!!! just gotta sort it all out jetting wise.. think its on the fat side... :cool:
ok we still have idle but i went back to 32:1 mix and not it acts like its loading up (less oil = richer) so gonna drop down to the 45 pilot....
had another bad start to a ride. was gonna go see a friend about 6 miles away . got 32:1 gas and it ran fine, got about 2 miles from house and bahhhhhhhh... dead. no start etc.... kicked a few times then noticed i forgot to turn gas on .. turn gas on, lean to side, kick and kick and kick.. nothing.. have girl bring truck etc. and bring bike home. grab new plug on way home. pull old plug and its WAYYY RICH/BLACK/WET .... decided to check spark and its stupid weak and intermitant. so pull all wires apart and test resistance etc according to manual .. all seems ok. i know ive seen that they have weak spark anyways so put it all back together... drain old gas, get new gallon of 32:1... 10kicks later it fires off and seems pretty decent other than it wont idle as long as it did on the 20:1 (larger pilot) so anyways play with the air screw and get it ok for the test ride.. run around block and get it warmed up.... could tell it was a big fat when still on the cold side but ran ok once warmed up a bit and cleaned out... so on my second pass around the block i ran it HARD thru all 5 and shut it down to see how it looked up top... coast to house and pull plug....ewwwwww glad i havent run it hard other than that one time..
i checked the plug after my first pass around the block and it was all nasty black/oily from never really coming off the pilot/needle. now that i had ran it up on the main and ran it hard it showed to be VERY LEAN (white w/ gray electrode) but man did it run hard :P didnt lay over like LEAN usually does :?:
so tomorrow ill swap out the 170 main for a 200 i have and see if it gets all blubbery up top (im guessing ill need a 180) i have a 172 but im pretty sure thats not enough of a change to help the lean condition and i dont want to mess with the needle since it seem real nice in the mid-range.....
so at this time
170 main
48 pilot
1 1/2-2 turns out on AS
1368N or S needle (i think thats the number) :?:
3rd notch
any advice/constructive critisism welcome.... :D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

qkenuf4u wrote:.... pull old plug and its WAYYY RICH/BLACK/WET .... .....i dont want to mess with the needle since it seem real nice in the mid-range.....
What do think is turning the plug black?

HINT: Its not the pilot or the main.
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

AlisoBob wrote: What do think is turning the plug black?

HINT: Its not the pilot or the main.

ok so whats all that different from the PJ to the PWK that would make it that black when it was a perfect tan/brown/moocha with the same jetting/needle in the PJ ? :? :?:

the PJ wouldnt even run without the 55 pilot at 20:1. i put the 48 in the PWK cause its a bigger carb (ie more air = more fuel)

im not here to guess at this .. i will figure it out on my own if need be but i would appriciate any advice ya got.....

im still learning when it comes to jetting. ive never had to mess with jetting until i got this bike. my yz465/gt80/kaw triple/1st cr500 tard were all put gas/oil in it and ride :wink: now yes maybe they could have used some tuning but they all ran great without touching the carb/s...

thanks
lance :?:
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

and can you tell me what would be the difference between the needle i have now and the needle i pulled from the PWK when i got it...

1368S in it now
N 82 M needle was in it but thats supposedly a sled needle... :?:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i can say from my own experience, never change more than 1 thing at a time. youll endlessly go around in circles if you do.

sounds like you have 3 jets :roll: . call sudco and get a bunch.

and quit worrying so much about the plug. if the fucker sounds rich... it is :wink: . look at it once in a while, not 40 times a day
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

heres my jettig if you want it new motor with a new pwk39.5 basicaly stock
summer 1000ft elevation and 10-20 degrees celsius
slide 6
pilot 42
airscrew 1 turn out
needle DGN middle
main 168

works good
and the 1368 is garbage dont even waste your time trying to make it work
i had the same lean on top using the 1368, then with the DGN i had to lean it out from a 175 to a 168
and no matter how much you lean the pilot, your first 1/4 will still blubber if you use the CEJ

get the DGN or maybe the DGM or the DGL
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

not sure about the n82m. scour through sudcos site or call them. n84 series is dual taper, not real sure what motors they were used on. n85 series is tripple taper often used on ktm motors.
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

cool thanks.. ya im gonna have to bite the bullet and get the DGN... :cool: was kinda already figureing that i needed the DGN...
its been about the same temps here but im only at 550 elev..(very little difference) so ill play with settings around what you listed. i have a 42 and it worked well in the PJ but since the PWK has its own idle circuit i bet it will work even better.. :wink:
not sure what slide is in this PWK. i looked but didnt see a number anywhere on it.. ill have to double check when i pull it down to change the jetting... :cool:
thanks for all the help.. ill get it figured out before long .. atleast i know im thinking in the right direction.... :D

2strokeforever wrote:heres my jettig if you want it new motor with a new pwk39.5 basicaly stock
summer 1000ft elevation and 10-20 degrees celsius
slide 6
pilot 42
airscrew 1 turn out
needle DGN middle
main 168

works good
and the 1368 is garbage dont even waste your time trying to make it work
i had the same lean on top using the 1368, then with the DGN i had to lean it out from a 175 to a 168
and no matter how much you lean the pilot, your first 1/4 will still blubber if you use the CEJ

get the DGN or maybe the DGM or the DGL
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

100hp honda wrote: can say from my own experience, never change more than 1 thing at a time. youll endlessly go around in circles if you do.

sounds like you have 3 jets :roll: . call sudco and get a bunch.

and quit worrying so much about the plug. if the fucker sounds rich... it is :wink: . look at it once in a while, not 40 times a day
oh and i have really only changed one thing at a time.... just swapped jets over from the PJ to the PWK and knew i would have to play to get it right....
i have enough pilots , but only a couple mains.
i only checked the plug like 3x since ive been running this motor. this last plug was brand new ... looked like crap after first round the block ride then burned off and was WHITE/GRAY after hard top end run... :shock:
im gonna have to see if my bike shop buddy has any jets in stock... the other places are closed till monday... :(
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

DJN is a good starting point. on a ported motor I found myself liking the DGJ & DGK which I am running now on a 41PWK
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

2strokeforever wrote:needle DGN middle
Thankyou Strokey.....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:not sure about the n82m.
Thats a KX500 needle.... real rich on a CR500.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

qkenuf4u wrote:..im not here to guess at this .. i will figure it out on my own if need be but i would appriciate any advice ya got.....
http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=92

Read english?
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

yep ive read it a couple times to be exact.. like i said im newer at this jetting thing but i do have an understanding about how it all works together. may not sound like it but im not afraid to ask questions and back up my own thoughts on this stuff.. that way i know if im on the right track or way off base... :cool:
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

AlisoBob wrote:
100hp honda wrote:not sure about the n82m.
Thats a KX500 needle.... real rich on a CR500.
hmm had others think it was a SLED needle... oh well guess it will go in the parts pile... ill have to try and order up the DGN (in the 2.7 range) on monday if i can... :wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

AlisoBob wrote:....Most CR500's I have seen appear to share similar conditions...

1. They wont idle
2. There too rich from off idle to 1/2 throttle
3. Their too lean at 3/4 throttle
4. Their too rich WFO

What to do.... What to do......

......Most PWK's like a high 30 to low 40 pilot, ........The needle, your best friend.....

....... good place to start is a 1472 ( DGN) , and start in the 3rd clip from the top.

......Main jet sizes from the mid 160's to mid 170's are the norm. .......

DONT GET FANATICIAL REGARDING JETTING! I have seen guys waste a whole day when they could be riding playing with their carb. Guess what? These carbs are low tech, marginal mixers at best and its rare you ride in identical conditions day to day. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE YOUR CARB SET PERFECT. Live with that statement, and have fun instead of frustration.
Every answer to all your questions is right there.
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

yep and as i said iv read it numerous times but AS YOU SAY every bike is different... :wink: :D

AlisoBob wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:....Most CR500's I have seen appear to share similar conditions...

1. They wont idle
2. There too rich from off idle to 1/2 throttle
3. Their too lean at 3/4 throttle
4. Their too rich WFO

What to do.... What to do......

......Most PWK's like a high 30 to low 40 pilot, ........The needle, your best friend.....

....... good place to start is a 1472 ( DGN) , and start in the 3rd clip from the top.

......Main jet sizes from the mid 160's to mid 170's are the norm. .......

DONT GET FANATICIAL REGARDING JETTING! I have seen guys waste a whole day when they could be riding playing with their carb. Guess what? These carbs are low tech, marginal mixers at best and its rare you ride in identical conditions day to day. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE YOUR CARB SET PERFECT. Live with that statement, and have fun instead of frustration.
Every answer to all your questions is right there.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

qkenuf4u wrote:.....hmm had others think it was a SLED needle...
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................ no.

http://www.kawasakisportscenter.com/tec ... etting.php
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

AlisoBob wrote:
qkenuf4u wrote:.....hmm had others think it was a SLED needle...
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................ no.

http://www.kawasakisportscenter.com/tec ... etting.php
N82M-3 N82M-2 --- hmm mine has NO -# after it.. straight N 82 M... :?:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The "dash" is the clip position , Turbo....