wtb, gen 1 conversion kit

Come on in, No registration needed.... Thinkin' about stepping up to the ultimate dirtbike? Ask any questions you need answered.

ALSO: Post anything your looking for, or that is taking up space and you want to get ride of.. ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE BETWEEN THE BUYER / SELLER!
toby-p

wtb, gen 1 conversion kit

Post by toby-p »

Im in need of a cr 500 aluminum framed,gen 1 counversion kit,where can i get this? thanks
CR500PHIL

Re: wtb, gen 1 conversion kit

Post by CR500PHIL »

toby-p wrote:Im in need of a cr 500 aluminum framed,gen 1 counversion kit,where can i get this? thanks
Refer the forum on AFs - the user ShanMan usually sells the kits or individual conversion parts. There is a sticky on this in the AF forum. The mounts I bought from him were top notch but the Gen 1 was a major pain in the ass with the plug clearance issues.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

CR500PHIL wrote:.....the Gen 1 was a major pain in the ass with the plug clearance issues.
:bsmeter:
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

AlisoBob wrote:
CR500PHIL wrote:.....the Gen 1 was a major pain in the ass with the plug clearance issues.

I am mistaken - removing the seat, shrouds and tank to change the plug (which is not the one that belongs to the bike and costs $12.00) while 10 miles in the woods is not a pain at all. Of course the inability to use a large capacity tank isn't a problem for a woods rider either.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

CR500PHIL wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:

I am mistaken - removing the seat, shrouds and tank to change the plug (which is not the one that belongs to the bike and costs $12.00) while 10 miles in the woods is not a pain at all. Of course the inability to use a large capacity tank isn't a problem for a woods rider either.
Nah you just apply a little bit o' heat and form the tank to your liking. IIRC I have seen users here who have [had] a Gen1 with a large tank just fine. Yeah plug access is tricky, to say the least - but just keep your motor well tuned and install the correct plug and you wont need to change plugs so often.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hoofarted wrote:.. but just keep your motor well tuned and install the correct plug and you wont need to change plugs so often.
Yea, like every two years or so.

My tank is off my Gen 4 in under 4 minutes anyways.., whats the big deal?
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

I change he plug on Gen 1 with the tank in place, with a socket. Heat gun is your friend.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
britincali

Post by britincali »

Not a chance in the world I can pull the plug on my gen1 without pulling the tank.

But like mentioned above Ive only swapped the plug once and that was just because I had the bike stripped down and felt like being nice to it :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Haven't fouled a plug since 2004. I change them when the bike gets hard to start.
03 CRF450/85 500