Supermotoflunkie Gen 1 build...TAKE 2

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
supermotoflunkie

Supermotoflunkie Gen 1 build...TAKE 2

Post by supermotoflunkie »

****please scroll down for current discussion, I have restarted this project after about a 2 year break******

I was going to upload a few pics but I dont know how on this forum! lol...Ill figure it out and get some on tonight.

But Iv gotten started and have cut the factory front motor mounts...set the motor in place (really to understand why the factory headstay wont work-I understand now) and am working with a couple guys to get mounts made and TIGed in. I have never TIG welded so thats why Im not done already. Once the mounts are in I will finish sourcing a few parts (exhaust, ignition, and intake boot/reed block) and fire it up.

I cut the bottom half of the X-brace and was going to leave it like that but decided it would be easier taking the cylinder on/off with it removed...So I cut it out (but left like 1 inch tabs to be able to make a plate and nut/bolt a brace back in it) and then it finally came apart the down tubes spread apart a good 1/8 inch...is this normal or has the fact that this bike has been on the ground/kartwheeled more than I like, a factor?

-Mike
Last edited by supermotoflunkie on October 17th, 2010, 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

mine did the same thing. don't sweat it. its probably tweaked a little.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

make sure you get some pics up...sounds like you've gotten off to a good start.
supermotoflunkie

Can I upload from the computer or do I need to host them first? Can Anybody help?
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Balaclava wrote:make sure you get some pics up...sounds like you've gotten off to a good start.
I'll be posting my "budget build" in a week or so.
supermotoflunkie

How about a budget comparison....My build is going to be pretty inexpensive...

Im so stoked to build this thing
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

supermotoflunkie wrote:Can I upload from the computer or do I need to host them first? Can Anybody help?
You need to host them somewhere on the web. Try getting a Photobucket account.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
supermotoflunkie

Photobucket account is now active....I uploaded a pic from my phone but (of course) its shiotty..I will definitely upload pics from my camer tonight
supermotoflunkie

How about some headstay input? I was thinking of trimming the bottom of it and using it as it it...without triangulation...[/img][/img]
chachi243

no stinkin triangle

Post by chachi243 »

i wouldnt trim it, but i did use 2 pcs of 1/4" thick alum flat strap offset by a mallet in a bench vise with soft jaws and mine works fine..... cleaner than hacking those pieces up......and probably just as easy! Keep rippin'!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I see you found something to work as a front mount :wink: nice :cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
supermotoflunkie

dannygraves wrote:I see you found something to work as a front mount :wink: nice :cool:
Its 'the industrial erector set' www.80/20.net

I use it at work all the time and had a bunch of pieces left over from my last project....
supermotoflunkie

I had a fellow SM racer weld the mounts for me today. I have some finishing up to do and then Ill take update pics...The hard part is over now...
kball1313

yo

Post by kball1313 »

Cool man, the world needs more 500 supermotos.
supermotoflunkie

I had to take a detour and get some drywalling done on the garage this weekend. Its dumb that I have stretched out a small project (my AF) so long... :roll:

supermotoflunkie

I have to recommend NOT remodeling the garage while your working on anything. It has done nothing but push things back for me.

Heres the 500 assembled ('final pre-fab') and requiring only minimal stuff...Im going to see if I can swedge the 250 silencer inlet to accept the 500 pipe...and I need to buy a piston and bore it...other than that...its ignition...is it possible to tie the 89 motor ignition stuff to the 98 chassis stuff?

Heres the wall, newly drywalled and cabinets minus the doors...

supermotoflunkie

I scored a '97 standard bore cylinder from a running bike (good running says the owner) for $50 last night. This project is getting closer to being finished.
supermotoflunkie

TAKE 2!

I sold the first project (almost 2 years ago) unfinished and am finally in a spot to FINISH one. My girlfriend and I now have a house and I dont feel so rushed.

Heres where I started, this time.

I see a 1997 cr500 running/complete and a blown up 98 cr250 on craigslist for 1800 bucks. fair price. i called and over about a one week period I went and got BOTH bikes for $800.

The 500 motor is toast. A whopping 65psi before I pulled it. Not sure how it runs actually.

Today I sold the 500 rolling chassis and blown up 250 motor and recouped on the initial investment. I am now into the project for $580..yeilding a complete 250 roller and a complete 500 motor/ign/exhaust.

My TIG buddy is in moab this weekend doing a 24hr peddally bike race (ubsurd) so well fab/weld mounts next week.

Im going to only order a ringset for this tired 500 motor for now and rebuild when my budget better allows.

uhhhh any comments/suggestions?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

supermotoflunkie wrote: The 500 motor is toast. A whopping 65psi before I pulled it. Not sure how it runs actually.

Im going to only order a ringset for this tired 500 motor for now and rebuild when my budget better allows.

uhhhh any comments/suggestions?
sounds like the '98 i got several years ago. everything was totally roached. kicker went down by hand, piston wobbled bad and was cracked. disaster wasnt far off :D . take a good look at everything before you try to run it but i highly doubt a set of rings will do any good if yours is as bad as mine was. last thing you want is blow a hole through the case when something lets go. your decision though.
supermotoflunkie

I hear ya

money is a concern right now. I cant afford to completely build the motor right now My plans are to finish the project (running/riding) and reassess after that. I understand the risk....

I set myself a tentative completion date of nov 1...
supermotoflunkie

Mounts welded...

Head stay is next

I need a swing arm OH kit.

Motor rebuild parts will be in monday, ill pick up saturday

I serviced the shock saturday and cleaned up/honed the cylinder

Slowly but surely....
supermotoflunkie

today I rebuilt ALL the shock linkage and assembled some bits to make it a roller. I also tidied up the garage, hung more shelves and another light fixture.

This week will I will service the top end and start "final" assembly, although I still need some parts. But the motor can go in and stay in....

http://epicmotosports.com/ Epic Motosports and Sisneros Speed Works have paired up! Parts, service, repair, monster builds and dyno tuning!
supermotoflunkie

well...ring endgap was at .065mm and ended up at .018mm after the new set of rings. This will be 'temporary' as I want to sleeve this cylinder back to std bore and plate it so it's a little more resiliant. I love doing top ends in my 125 (01 YZ) cause the cylinder is always perfect, cause it's plated.

iv got a halfday from work today (one of the R&D guys died, his funeral is today, the president called it a half day so the plant can go to his service) and I plan to clean the carb and see what jets are in it.

my pipe is in the freezer at home rigt now, hopefully popping some dents...
http://epicmotosports.com/ Epic Motosports and Sisneros Speed Works have paired up! Parts, service, repair, monster builds and dyno tuning!
supermotoflunkie

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project.

last night I got some much needed honda bits.

I can see a zip up/down the street in about a week....
supermotoflunkie

Well im getting close. iv got parts up at epic waiting, i had some busy weekends and havent been able to pick them up.

So Iv pretty much been fiddling with little small stuff on the bike until I can get parts.

Im a bit discouraged at this point.

I think im overthinking things right now. The bike is friggin loud. Iv got a 125 silencer (turbine core sparky) on it, I know thats probably not too kosher but it works and doesnt leak, but the bike seems loud. Iv got the graphite rope seal for an exhaust flange gasket, seems ok. The pipe has a couple pin holes near the back, where it plugs into the silencer. Maybe thats where some of the noise is coming from.

Im just really anxious to get it on the track and blow the cobwebs out of the motor. The donor bike was HAGGARD. I put a top end in it and it makes tons more compression. I wonder/am scared that ill need to put a bottom end in it soon, but I want to ride it.

I dont have near the budget that some of the AF builds that Iv seen on this site.

Got any words of encouragement?