Optimum Timing Curve?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
EarlT

Optimum Timing Curve?

Post by EarlT »

Optimum Timing Curve?

What does the Optimum Timing Curve look like.

I know that Octane will affect the Optimum Curve,
but Adjusting for Octane
What should the Optimum Curve Look like?

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

what tires are best for your car ? plenty of variables involved. if your unhappy with the stock unit then your best bet is to get a vortex and run one of the pre programmed curves. most likely one of them will suit your needs. if your still convinced theres more to be had, then buy all the programming hardware and reserve a weeks worth of dyno time :lol:
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

The vortec is a pain in the ass in my opinon. Arbitrary maps put in by someone who is not a 500 guru will waste tons of time and effort. The only way i would run one is with the stock 500 stator and FW. if you try to run the 250 ignition with the vortec you better be ready to to spend some time tuning, and even then you may not ever get it right.

I dropped the stock '96 250 ignition and flywheel on my AF and couldnt be happier. rips everywhere, lighter handling, spins up faster. best option IMO
EarlT

Post by EarlT »

I dropped the stock '96 250 ignition and flywheel on my AF
and couldnt be happier.
rips everywhere, lighter handling, spins up faster. best option IMO

EarlT Writes:

So,
What Ignition and Flywheel
do you have on your CR500?

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

vortex website claims theyre product has performance maps developed from dyno testing. maybe they meant the 250 stuff :confused: . either way, if your wanting to make your own map youll be looking at alot of money and time. just aint worth it for the weekend rider.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

To really work, you need to alter timing for every gear....
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the 250 setup is good enough for me
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

kdizzle wrote:The vortec is a pain in the ass in my opinon. Arbitrary maps put in by someone who is not a 500 guru will waste tons of time and effort. The only way i would run one is with the stock 500 stator and FW. if you try to run the 250 ignition with the vortec you better be ready to to spend some time tuning, and even then you may not ever get it right.

I dropped the stock '96 250 ignition and flywheel on my AF and couldnt be happier. rips everywhere, lighter handling, spins up faster. best option IMO
thats why our vortex 250 ignition has the stock 500 maps programed in and runs crazy and we have nver altered any maps just switched between the 10 preprogramed ones to find the best
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you would think vortex put atleast some effort into making the 500 maps. how much dyno testing they did is hard to say. some of it was probly a educated guess calculated on paper maybe ? theres 10 to choose from so you would assume it would work for about everyone.
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

100hp honda wrote:you would think vortex put atleast some effort into making the 500 maps. how much dyno testing they did is hard to say. some of it was probly a educated guess calculated on paper maybe ? theres 10 to choose from so you would assume it would work for about everyone.
Agreed, but when you add port polish, 41PWK and 250 FW/stator you are in no mans land with the vortec and you better be ready to test your ass off.

Maverick27 has done lots of testing with a varner motor and the vortec. maybe he will chime in here.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

This is a curve developed for supermotard work by a guy named andrei on the CR500riders forum. Ported jug. MSD programable igntion, free software. He was running a PSI big air carb which can be adjusted externally rather than changing jets.