My new Gen 3 bike...

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Go all Black on the plastics and use a combo of Grey, Red and Black on the graphics.

TTM has a hookup on graphics too if you forgot.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

What kind of graphics are you talking about? because i basically don't like any graphics i've seen on various google sites...and most one industries is bunk...
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Dirt Digits, see here in this thread. http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2785
robertg

Post by robertg »

That's a great deal on those wheels. If I don't find a nice set of Excel's, I think I will just buy a cheap set of DNA's. I ended up buying a set of Factory Effex graphics on eBay. I couldn't find anything that I liked either.

When did you finally find a motor? I just tore my bottom end apart a couple of days ago. My connecting rod looks perfect, but my gears have some wear on the engagement dogs. Not enough wear to replace them, but I wish they were better.

I'm just going to replace all of the seals, crank bearings, and bore it to 98.5mm.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

that engine in the pics is the same engine i shattered my ankle with on my old bike...it's a beasssst, and for the old bike Roostius is texting me as we speak about a couple engines he is putting together...i'm running out of dough big time robertg...
robertg

Post by robertg »

These things are money pits. We should of did this last year when our money was worth more than the US dollar. I'm going to have more than $1,600.00 CDN in to my motor once it's done.

What do you think of these graphics? I didn't buy them, but I was thinking of it. The picture is a set of 450 graphics, but the Gen 3 ones look the same. They went for $20.00, with a red seat cover, on eBay.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I would use them on red plastics for sure...can't beat that price neither...unless you wanna blow 450$ on a decal kit from one industries...:lol:

I think on this new bike with wheels, levers pipes clamps welding motor blablabla i'm way over the last build...
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Balaclava wrote:
I think on this new bike with wheels, levers pipes clamps welding motor blablabla i'm way over the last build...
It happens......alot. :)
juddy

Post by juddy »

Anybody have a good idea what to do with this exhaust mount location?! please let me know if you have any suggestions what to do with it.

There is a pic of what I done in my thread.Pain in the ass but the only way I could find to do it was make a new mount on top of the pipe and make a new bracket.Interested to see what you can come up with.
chachi243

damn

Post by chachi243 »

i just built a new tab with the nut part for the "stinger" then i used the stock 250 deal that holds the rubber grommet with insert and the shorty bolt in the stock location...... i just used a piece of like 16 guage steel (.065"ish) and a 6mm flange nut all tacked up and then welded it to the pipe with the mig welder. pretty much the same thing as the stock 250 setup, although the tab is at the top edge of the pipe stinger instead of "centered" . i couldnt find a pic but it is pretty much factory style and finish....just cut the "stock" mount threads off the 500 pipe and make your own deal so you can use the factory deal at the frame.....matching the one you used on the lower mount (looking good btw) so its all still stock 250 parts. Teemtrubble Mike shoot us a pic here of the stinger bracket like on the pipe i got from you bro.....
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I've actually already purchased a PC works pipe from Mike...are you saying the rear pipe mount already comes modded for his bikes? If so that's prime...i don't ask mike enough questions i guess...Thanks Chachi and Juddy...
chachi243

cool

Post by chachi243 »

yeah if you got his pipe it should be pretty straightforward with no welding, you'll just need the same doo dad that the 250 uses stock at that location like you did so nicely near the water pump..... i gotta say that my 450 is not as clean as my 250 as far as those little kinds of things go..... i dig the build pics. Looks clean! :D
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Thanks alot for the tips chachi...I have that stock doo dad you are talking about and hopefully when i get the pipe it will work out nice...that's awesome...and ya my 450 is not nearly as clean as this gen3 250. Thanks alot.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I decided to polish everything...i kind of enjoy doing it...The jug looks real good and if it was sunny out today they would be really shining...

robertg

Post by robertg »

That's a dam good job you did there. it' such a dirty job, I hate polishing.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Come on dude, give up your polishing techniques? What do you use or recommend?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

It's a pretty easy process but it takes alot longer then it may look from the pictures...I used this die grinder with a finishing disc on it to grind down the pits in the jug, i didn't have to do that on the frame, then once i get it down to the hazy shiny look that the finishing disc leaves then i grab my drill with my buffer discs and use the green compound and just go to town...it's a shitty dirty fucking job and it's very time consuming...i've said it before but if i wasn't out of commission cause of my leg i wouldn't have spent so much time polishing these pieces...

JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Damn, Balaclava! Thats the shit right there man. Us snow bound SOB's must think the same way cause I just tore my bike down and brought the sub fram in the house and started polishing. What a bitch. I use 600 grit wet sand paper by hand but don't get near the results. Does the die grinder get into all the nooks and shit on the jug? I was thinking of trying my drill to speed the process. After you polish it up like that, do you seal it with anything or just leave it like that? Looks good dude!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

JBaze wrote:Damn, Balaclava! Thats the shit right there man. Us snow bound SOB's must think the same way cause I just tore my bike down and brought the sub fram in the house and started polishing. What a bitch. I use 600 grit wet sand paper by hand but don't get near the results. Does the die grinder get into all the nooks and shit on the jug? I was thinking of trying my drill to speed the process. After you polish it up like that, do you seal it with anything or just leave it like that? Looks good dude!
I don't really know i'm still learning...I've heard you can get like a clear powder coat that will seal it all in...the only thing i used to seal it was mothers billet aluminum polish...it's pretty good for giving it a bit of an extra shine...but i don't know how well it's going to protect it...i'm still trying to figure it all out as best as i can...this is the type of shit i've been doing with myself as much as i can since i broke my ankle...shit is expensive, i've already spent probably 100$ on buffers and polish compounds...i've tried black, white, green and brown compounds and i think the green works best...it's a process for sure...

and i couldn't obviously get into every nook i just try and get as much done as possible...by the end of it i'm full black. you have to use a facemask and eyegoggles to keep yourself healthy but i never use that shit and i always end up regretting it...it makes you look like you wear eyeliner...you can never quite get this shit all off you...
Balaclava

gen 3 conversion

Post by Balaclava »

Ok here it is finally...My 2nd 500AF is finished...this project was started in October or so of 2008 after i crushed the shit out of my ankle on my first 450/500 conversion...Most of the fab work was finished within the first 3 weeks of me starting the project, but when i started getting back on my feet i took a real long hiatus from this site and from finishing this project. This bike is the epitome of what i've always wanted and i can't believe how well it turned out for me...Thank you so much to everyone on banned who helped me along the way! i could never have done it without you guys!

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Lets Ride!
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Shit, figured you were dead :wink:

Nice build....
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

I wondered what happened to you. Good job on the build.