ever tried one of these ?

Use some common sense ....
100hp honda

ever tried one of these ?

Post by 100hp honda »

dumb fucker i got the bike from stripped the oil plug. cant remember exact brand but similar concept to timesert. never tried one but hopefully its a permanent fix

Xylicon

Post by Xylicon »

I just had mine repaired, although I don't know what was used. Local bike shop did it for 35 bucks.

Seems to be holding up quite well.
97 CR500, 94 CR250, 87 CR125
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sweet. hard to tell but it might be a timesert. glad i only have 1 stripped hole because these things are a pain in the ballz. some brands have a special thread pitch so you have to buy their tap, fukin gay :roll:. i made the mistake of getting a metric one, gotta have a 14m x 1.5 tap which has to be special ordered :roll: , probly gotta have a special metric drill bit too :roll: . the dude that stripped it id like to kick him in the face :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

drill out hole

tap new threads

use plenty of lube on said tap

make sure insert fits

add loctite to threads, screw in and punch wedges

new bolt and washer

good as new

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

:cool:
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

A pipe plug is about $3
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

pipe plug :o . might work but ill pass :lol:
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

I had to use those inserts all the time when i was back in Germany at the motor pool.
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

those are great somewhere that wont crack from stress, not that close to the edge of a case tho :shock:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ktm cases dont crack like hondas :lol:. interesting thing about ktm back in the day is the
cases were individually matched to each other at the time of production.
they have a matching number scribed into both case halves from the the person at the factory.
im thinking they were alittle more hand built than the hondas.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:im thinking the machined tolerances were nowhere near as accurate as the Honda's...
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

some of that statement could be true. ktm struggled for years just to keep their head above water.
the bikes were probly built in barns compared to hondas big factories with high tech machinery.
still ktm got some good reviews from the magazines depending on the year. their main drawback for years was
notchy trannys and clutch, by '95 i think they had "most" of the tranny issues worked out.
clutch action still wasnt quite on par with honda but it wasnt far off, thats part of the reason why i went with jap plates.
ktm seems to be doing much better today :lol: . not sure when the 350 is coming out but from what ive read its going to be a hot bike.
you can bet alot of dudes trade in thier honda for one :cool:. the 300 2stroke got alot peoples attention, not my cup of tea but sounds like they sold a bunch.
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

Why not heli-coil it?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i wouldnt have used antisieze on the insert, sleeve or bearing retainer, that shit'll weep arround your insert. and who cares what you think the case is like, put a wedge in anything and theres stress :roll:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

insert, sleeve, bearings retainer :?: whutchu talkin bout homie ? i used antiseize/lubricant on the tap when i cut the new threads :roll: . then cleaned everything up with brake cleaner afterwards. guess i should of explained the procedure alittle more in detail, seems a few folks are confused :cool:
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

100hp honda wrote:insert, sleeve, bearings retainer :?: whutchu talkin bout homie ? i used antiseize/lubricant on the tap when i cut the new threads :roll: . then cleaned everything up with brake cleaner afterwards. guess i should of explained the procedure alittle more in detail, seems a few folks are confused :cool:
Wouldnt cutting fluid have been a better choice than anti-sieze?

heck, back in high school, we used motor oil for thread cutting, and it works titties.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

for fuck sakes :? . you think i got a full machine shop in my garage with 100 different cutting oils ? anti seieze is a lubricant, if youve ever read the bottle and what its intended purposes are. it was handy at the time and worked pretty good. :D
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i would have used bearing retainer or sleeve retainer because they are anaerobic and will keep the oil from creeping thru the threads and leaving a damp, dust holding mess
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

oh you meant something to seal the outside threads of the insert ? used blue loctite :cool:. if that dont hold and the cases crack ill ship them to you for correct repair :D