The unbalance of the crank

Use some common sense ....
Janne

The unbalance of the crank

Post by Janne »

I made a crank holder to be able to hold the crank while spinning it to feel the unbalance first hand.

Just a short video of it:

Janne

Post by Janne »

Another video of testing the static balance of the crank with a dummy piston. The dummy piston is a little bit smaller. :)

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

cool
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

the whole assembly must be balanced. meaning using the same piston you will be running. otherwise the tests and balancing will be worthless.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Janne

Post by Janne »

NightBiker07 wrote:the whole assembly must be balanced. meaning using the same piston you will be running. otherwise the tests and balancing will be worthless.
No.

Testing in the first movie was done with the complete piston weight to get a feel for how much it is vibrating,
but the static balancing was not done with the complete piston weight.

With 100% balance factor the assembly would be unrideable. No vibrations in vertical, but enormous in horizontal.
I did go for 50% balance factor, using the same piston weight I am running in the calculations, which is maybe what you meant.

This is how I measured the balance factor from the factory:

...and weighted the nuts:
Janne

Post by Janne »

The small end weight:

Kuma

Post by Kuma »

In your second video, I noticed your shirt sleeve looked a little tattered, just wondering if that happened while making the first vid :shock:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

cool videos. you got ozzy in sweden :headbang: . any chance you can make a day trip over to austria and tell them fools at ktm we need another big 2stroke in the line up :lol:
Janne

Post by Janne »

Kuma wrote:In your second video, I noticed your shirt sleeve looked a little tattered, just wondering if that happened while making the first vid :shock:
:)

No, it's an old riding shirt and I used to cut the sleeves to prevent armpump.