Ethanol

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Tharrell

Ethanol

Post by Tharrell »

Lost my single source for non ethanol fuel, they finally gave in.
This crap messes up my 2 cycle lawn equipment.
I don't have any idea what it's going to do to my bikes.
1ugly85cr500

Post by 1ugly85cr500 »

It won't hurt you as bad as you think first redo the gaskets in your carb also the needle on the float this all needs to replace with alcohol freindly gaskets second your going to need to almost double the size of your jets not sure about needle and slide tho I have converted my 1964 dodge truck to e85 and saw a increase in power also might want to consider a boyseen rad valve there's less rubber to ruin on those hope this helps
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i think the ethanol level can be up to 10% in the US which aint going to hurt anything, you dont have a choice in the matter anyways unless you want to go with VP at $10/gal. now if your talking about having to use e85 thats a whole different ballgame, the motor will have to be purged with that shit. i would highly doubt pump gas did anything to your weed eater, i put it in my bikes all the time with no side affects. in 15 years you might see some problems i suppose but who cares at that point because the rest of the engine will be falling apart anyways.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I don't know. I have a ton of small stuff. I have 2 Stihl 85's and I don't really like them so I save them for occasional use stuff like edging, brush blade and hedge clipping. I have a bunch of attachments for them.
I was on a hedge job at one of my convenience store accounts and both of them screwed up. I went by the shop and the mechanic said that's what it was. He told me to sniff the fuel and then sniff their fuel. There was a definite difference. He poured my fuel out and replaced it with his and they ran fine.
I think the mechanic said the ethanol screws up the diaphrams in these tiny carbs.
Anyway, I want real gas. Like the kind we used to have.
This whole gas chemistry experiment is a big clusterfuck if you ask me.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i took apart quit a few chain saws also and i suppose after prolonged exposure the ethanol could deteriorate the paper thin diaphrams. it wont bother the metal parts like crank, rod or piston. those diaphrams get hard and need replacing regardless what fuel you use, maybe sooner than later with ethanol laced fuel. honestly ive never seen a gas station that doesnt have a "up to 10%" ethanol sticker on the pumps. buy a handful of extra carb parts and change them as needed, not much else you can do man.
1ugly85cr500

Post by 1ugly85cr500 »

Look for rec gas like at a marina