got in a little fender bender should I go through insurance?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
dannygraves

got in a little fender bender should I go through insurance?

Post by dannygraves »

so, I was coming home earlier than expected from the red mountain guys trip, which was awesome btw, and there was a accitent that shut down the whole 15n around at jean. after it cleared up, I thought we'd be smooth sailing, but around sloan a bunch of lookie loos decided to have a look at the scene, my lane in particular came to a very sudden stop, so sudden infact that I plowed right into a jetta. I tried to turn onto the shoulder while brakinbg hard, but there just wasn't enough room so my front passenger side hit the rear driver side of the jetta. BTW, jetta vs 4x4 f-150 is not good for the jetta.
So I started pricing parts out, I need a front bumper, bumper cover, valance and grill along with the passenger side mounts and a headlight.
so, I started searching and found some killer deals on aftermarket like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT

I figure I could get all the parts for under $500 and pay a couple hudred to have them sprayed.

The other option is to get the insurance involved and just get it done, I have a $1000 deductable though.

Well, I went by the autobody place that fixes the company trucks here and the guy was super cool, even said if I buy the parts he'll get them sprayed, but he did bring up a valid point, those cheapo ebay parts suck, a lot of times the bolt holes don't line up right and the gaps can be off which is why he doesn't used them. Also my fender is a little tweaked, I don't know if I will be able to line it up right again. That shop quoted me $1850.

what would you guys do? Do it yourself with the cheapo parts and possibly have a nigyver looking repair, or just dish out the $1000 deductable and get it done right?

A couple other thoughts of mine were that if the insurance company fixes it, the title will be tainted by an accident record and my insurance will go up even more if I file a claim.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

whats with the meat grinder? Put the whole truck through a giant meat grinder and buy a d-max or cummins? trust me, I've thought long and hard about that one :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

I would just do the insurance thing. It will just be a pain in your ass to fix, and it will never be good enough. It will cost you atleast a $1000 in the end anyways after all of your running around fetching parts and pieces and time on the computer searching.........bla..bla..bla..... I used to love to work on shit, I still love to work on stuff if I am making it better or more :cool: , but to just fix it the way it was, is just work. And I hate WORK.

Just my thoughts
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

if you dont go insurence it'll be like putting your wiener in a meat grinder, some little thing will never be right with the car and it can haunt you your whole life, even if you had everything proper they can deny you paid it or fixed it, they can say something about the deal wasnt followed thru properly and you're hooped, and court fees will far exceed what insurance was.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ZETTNORCAL wrote:I would just do the insurance thing. It will just be a pain in your ass to fix, and it will never be good enough. It will cost you atleast a $1000 in the end anyways after all of your running around fetching parts and pieces and time on the computer searching.........bla..bla..bla..... I used to love to work on shit, I still love to work on stuff if I am making it better or more :cool: , but to just fix it the way it was, is just work. And I hate WORK.

Just my thoughts
ya, pretty much my thoughts right now. I'm getting tired of working on bull crap. Ex. I recently had to do teh a/c compressor on the wifes car... way shitty, but wrenching on the bike is still fun.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:if you dont go insurence it'll be like putting your wiener in a meat grinder, some little thing will never be right with the car and it can haunt you your whole life, even if you had everything proper they can deny you paid it or fixed it, they can say something about the deal wasnt followed thru properly and you're hooped, and court fees will far exceed what insurance was.
There isn't really a legal issue here about it, I could drive it as-is if I wanted to, but I think I will just go through insurance, if it looks like shit and I only saved like $200 and worked my ass off on it, I'd be pissed. My insurance company will give me a rental car and take care of biz, then give me back my truck with all the work warrantied, just seems to be the way to go the more I think about it.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You'll find this hard to beleive, but insurance companys actually understand the once in a blue moon brain fart. You guys remember my brain fart???

http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=766

My insurance didnt go up hardly any.....

Its the "once a year" bad driver type claims that drive your policy thru the roof......
britincali

Post by britincali »

My ins went up $160 a year when tox side swiped that parking post, the claim ended up being $4200.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You have insurance????

:shock: :shock: :shock:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, my ins now for full coverage on both cars is $900/yr, if it only went up by 160/yr, I wouldn't be too bummed.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i wasnt meaning your truck, i was talking about you fixing that dudes car, and then he hammers you later cuz its not mint.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ah, yeah, the insurance is definitly fixing his. Might even total it, I don't know. An '01 Jetta isn't worth all that much. I'm bummed for the dude, he said he just paid it off 2 months ago :?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

You got a police report I hope? Fuckers have a tendincy to develope neck problems a few days later
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

yes, aftermarket parts can line up bad sometimes. a lot of times, aftermarket parts can be sourced locally for same prices as Ebay prices.

it really depends on the vehicle. We use a lot of aftermarket parts, and most people cant see the difference. but getting them on straight can be a bit of work sometimes. Of course we offer the option for OEM parts when the job is out of pocket, but 99% of customers opt for the cheaper parts. hell, even a lot of insurance jobs will only pay for aftermarket body panels.

FYI, i have never had a fitment problem with aftermarket headlights/taillights.

if you have the time and the skill, i would do it yourself and just have the parts sprayed.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
britincali

Post by britincali »

dannygraves wrote:yeah, my ins now for full coverage on both cars is $900/yr, .

:shock: :!:

Mine is $1800 every 6 months for truck/car full coverage.........

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

britincali wrote:Mine is $1800 every 6 months for truck/car full coverage.........

Well it is you brit after all, isn't it? :roll:
Last edited by CR500R7 on April 19th, 2010, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
britincali

Post by britincali »

Just checked and its 1690 every 6, fukin scarey :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

NightBiker07 wrote: FYI, i have never had a fitment problem with aftermarket headlights/taillights.
the rattletrap piece of fuck headlight the womans malibu got was one of those, an oem fixed the problem
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

$70/month for full coverage on my truck
Brit's queer
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

JBaze wrote:You got a police report I hope? Fuckers have a tendincy to develope neck problems a few days later
:lol: , funny thing about that... The dude in the Jetta was super cool and was all "lets just exchange info and get out of here" but when I hit him, he ever so slightly hit the car infront of him, an older couple in a nissan cube. They had a very small paint smudge on their bumper. The dude driving the cube gets out of his car and starts whining like a little bitch about his arm hurting. Makes a big dramatic event out of holding his arm and showing signs of pain. Then he DEMANDS we get a police report and calls NHP.
Me being a guy who rides dirtbikes, I don't feel bad for a dude who may have bumped his funny bone when he was startled by a slight jolt :roll:
anyway, 45 minutes later the officer shows up, asked me what happened, I told him, then he asked about injuries and I look at the whiney bitch, whiney bitch loks at me, the officer, me again and says "no". Had he said anything else I think I would have made his arm really hurt.
so, we hung out for another hour while the cop handles the report. I hand out bottled water from my ice chest in the back and we all just chill.
The cop finally comes out gives everyone some printed out documentation and gives me a ticket for "lack of due cause" with a note specifying "failure to stop in time to avoid collision" with a $390 bail amount and its assigned to the good springs justice court which means I will have to drive all the way to hick-ville to take care of it.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

britincali wrote:Just checked and its 1690 every 6, fukin scarey :cry: :cry: :cry:
dude, wtf kind of driving record do you have? Oh, wait, you had a dui, huh?
shit, man, my insurance bills me $107/mo for 4 months, then nothing for 2 months, then $107/mo for anothr 4 and another 2 off :wink: I'm insured through the hartford
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

my truck is 78/mo, would be 72 if i set up a auto-bank withdrawl.

i know what the problem is.....you came home early form your trip!
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

NightBiker07 wrote:
i know what the problem is.....you came home early form your trip!
ding ding ding! we have a winner! :lol: :lol:
Hoofarted called his buddy Shawn who was still out there... yeah, he was riding in a helicopter and was gonna go for a ride in a trophie truck later... :cry: :cry: Instead I was waiting for NHP when I should have been firing .308 out of a helicopter right after a morning of blowing up tannerite, riding and riding in the trophie truck :cry: :cry:

I'm waiting for hoofarted to post up some pics of the helicopter coming into camp with a ktm and a honda straped to the side :twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80