Now what do you suppose......

Use some common sense ....
NightBiker07

Now what do you suppose......

Post by NightBiker07 »

that these are for? they are Aluminum or some other type of alloy, they are EXTREMELY light. almost too light to be aluminum. any ideas? ive got a box of em.

2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I bet they're titanium...
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

anyone recognize the marking on the head?

and how could i check them and see what they are made of?

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Mabey from an alien craft? No? I found some bolts made of a similar material, it just felt too light to be aluminum also. I found them in an abandon Air Force Base near me. OLAM Point Arena Radar Station. It was operational from 49 to 83? then it was shut down and looks as if they just all left one day and left everything just the way it was. We can ride right up the the fence and climb under it. None of the buildings are locked it is really werid and creepy. I have explored the whole base, Played basketball in the gym, sat in the movie theater(the EXIT sign was illuminated!) I even bowled in the bowling alley. But the coolest part is the power plant 3 HUGE gas turbine generators! all of the tools in the wood shop and metal shop are still in their places with the outlines on the peg board.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

if it showers white sparks off it its titanium, doesnt look like Ti tho, can you mark it with a punch?
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

ZETTNORCAL wrote:Mabey from an alien craft? No? I found some bolts made of a similar material, it just felt too light to be aluminum also. I found them in an abandon Air Force Base near me. OLAM Point Arena Radar Station. It was operational from 49 to 83? then it was shut down and looks as if they just all left one day and left everything just the way it was. We can ride right up the the fence and climb under it. None of the buildings are locked it is really werid and creepy. I have explored the whole base, Played basketball in the gym, sat in the movie theater(the EXIT sign was illuminated!) I even bowled in the bowling alley. But the coolest part is the power plant 3 HUGE gas turbine generators! all of the tools in the wood shop and metal shop are still in their places with the outlines on the peg board.
that is too cool. I would love to check something like that out. did you post up pics of the place? i remember someone on some forum posting pics of them exploring an old millitary base.

Roostius_Maximus wrote:if it showers white sparks off it its titanium, doesnt look like Ti tho, can you mark it with a punch?
yes
I dont think they are Ti either, but they definitely dont seem to be any type of Billet aluminum. im tellin ya, its like the bolt is made of about 3 sheets of paper.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

ZETTNORCAL wrote:Maybe from an Alien craft?

Where is the music from the "X-Files" when you need it. :lol:
Last edited by CR500R7 on April 8th, 2010, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:shock: wow that was quick. :lol: :lol:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Magnesium? :?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i've had similar bolts here, i've seen that logo before too, i think the ones we had were from the 80's and held a blower or pop off valve on, didnt have nuts tho.
i'll look inthe archives upstairs and see if theres any left
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

bearorso wrote:Magnesium?
That's my guess too.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

ZETTNORCAL wrote:Mabey from an alien craft? No? I found some bolts made of a similar material, it just felt too light to be aluminum also. I found them in an abandon Air Force Base near me. OLAM Point Arena Radar Station. It was operational from 49 to 83? then it was shut down and looks as if they just all left one day and left everything just the way it was. We can ride right up the the fence and climb under it. None of the buildings are locked it is really werid and creepy. I have explored the whole base, Played basketball in the gym, sat in the movie theater(the EXIT sign was illuminated!) I even bowled in the bowling alley. But the coolest part is the power plant 3 HUGE gas turbine generators! all of the tools in the wood shop and metal shop are still in their places with the outlines on the peg board.
That sounds incredible. See if you can post some pics again.

As for magnesium, try scraping off some shavings and lighting them. Those survival fire starters are made of magnesium usually.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

nah, just expose the whole bolt to some oxyacetylene flame...if it starts burning super bright GTFO! :shock:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

bearorso

Post by bearorso »

hoofarted wrote:nah, just expose the whole bolt to some oxyacetylene flame...if it starts burning super bright GTFO! :shock:
You're not effing kidding! :shock:

I've been in a workshop that had a magnesium fire - not something you want to be near. Probably the scariest moment of my life, and I've got myself into quite a few 'worrying' situations.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

my cousins in vancoover always had a vw mag trans to burn at pit parties, like a streetlight
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:my cousins in vancoover always had a vw mag trans to burn at pit parties, like a streetlight

More like sunlight! Those mag VW blocks are becoming more and more scarce. Took forever to light - but once lit, it was daylight till morning. :lol:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...