Did I get BSed on this crank balance??

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
seanmx57

Did I get BSed on this crank balance??

Post by seanmx57 »

I picked up a 91CR500 yesterday from the original owner. He is a gear head for sure. He claims he balanced the crank with the flywheel and drive gear on. I had mentioned I had a balanced crank in my bike and he said that it is impossible to I think he could know what's up, maybe. Has anyone ever heard of doing a crank with the complete rotating assembly? He was kinda fuzzy in his memory, he said he did the work back in 92 or 93.

He also claims it has a racing clutch. wouldn't give me a real details though. felt pretty grabby to me. He was talking about running xr650 springs in it.

He also said it has a custom tranny, supposedly the gears were cut by him to allow better power shifting.

He also claimed that the PJ carb has a vortex swirl and my pwk won't touch it powerwise. He said he ported it himself, flow benched it with the stock reed cage and carb. He said that altering the set up to different reeds or carbs would hurt performance

So if all this wasn't bad enough he also told me it put out 84HP, has 185 psi compression and 10 to 1 ratio. Once he started in with that crap I decided to clam up and not argue.

Now this is the interesting part. When he fired her up it barely vibed at all, the pipe didn't even shake. It definately was no worse than my new motor in my MX bike with the STR crank. The bike is in better than new condition. He claims the motor has all new bearings and top end.

I think this part is bs for sure. He claims he has a 95CR500 with a prototype Aluminum frame that honda built. It was in his other shop so I couldn't get a look at it.

So I think I'll tear it down so I can look things over for myself. The motor seemed pretty low on power compared to mine but I was on tar and not getting after it real hard.

Thoughts?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

it'd make sense to balance the crank with the flywheel, theres absolutely no way the flywheel is neutral, the gear would be
MICK

Post by MICK »

:rotfl: Congratulations...you just met the biggest bullshitter of the century :lmao: What was this winners name?

...I've met some guys similar to that before, but not as whack as that character :lol:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote::rotfl: Congratulations...you just met the biggest bullshitter of the century :lmao: What was this winners name?

...I've met some guys similar to that before, but not as whack as that character :lol:
One werd.....

Mortorque.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I had similar thoughts till I started it and rode it. The tear will reveal how bad the BS was.
MICK

Post by MICK »

Any CR500 "should" run smooth and strong after a correct rebuild. If there was any substenance to his diarrhea of the mouth, it was the new crank bearings and piston / rings.

...sure he polished the gears and thinks they're "works" like :roll:
...sure the crank might have been balanced once :roll:
...sure he bought into the "vortex" carb, hook line and sinker :roll:
...and I'm sure he thinks running different springs like his buddies told him turns an already COMPETITION USE ONLY motorcycle clutch into an even better "RACE" clutch :lol:

He's a talker Sean.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

:lol:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

yep, I was wearing sneakers too :roll:

Well I'm still gonna tear it down to see what is under the hood. I used hondabond on my last build and like it. Got plenty of gaskets so it's worth inspecting things before I dish her some abuse.

Kinda rare that I get straight factual info from most riders I've met but this dude was pretty entertaining. His name is kurt in mass.

Hi kurt if U R reading.

He was also telling me how bad honda sleeves are in the jugs and not to run them :lol:

Forgot to mention that he said he modded the head for decompression so the gas could by pass the rings on starting. I mentioned the scallops above the exhaust. He insisted that was not what he was talking about. Looks stock from the outside.
B440

Post by B440 »

So it's been a couple years, you must've had time to tear down the motor. What did you find out?