CR250-99 model stator / CDI up grade.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

MSD has wicked spark energy, and you need a proper battery anyway with your voltage regulator and stator you already have, then the msd will be perfect for your setup.

Im going to get mine started on stock ignition and the pwk carb, once I have it jetted pretty close, Im going to run a 250 flywheel and stator with the MSD ignition.

Chris if your interested i can save a you a few bucks on the msd stuff when i order mine, I have dealer accounts with several drag race wholsalers ... LMK :headbang:

I run MSD SB6 on the zx14, it is a wonderful tool. will pull timing based on gear, speed, nitrous, and even time ramped to match progressive nitrous.
Mine will be set up to retard timing with boost !
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

already got a battery its just the idea of relying on a battery for your bike to start :shock:
id rather have less low end than be stuck 50 miles from anywhere in the snow
wonder if the vortex software is available on isohunt...
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

2strokeforever wrote:already got a battery its just the idea of relying on a battery for your bike to start :shock:
id rather have less low end than be stuck 50 miles from anywhere in the snow
wonder if the vortex software is available on isohunt...
Don't buy a KTM then
LawBrkrRcn

Post by LawBrkrRcn »

Besides the timing difference on the stator is there any advantage in using a complete 03 inigtion over the 99 or are the results the same??? Thanks Mark
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

its true that the 02+ can be used, BUT from dissasembling a 2002 harness to replicate a 2000 i realized that all the other pieces but the servo motor were needed. Its a snake pit :roll:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Using the timing maps that rsss posted about a year ago or more, I created a document with 4 the maps translated into text (working on the rest) I'll email or pm it to those that want it.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

that'd be great.
I've found 2 published curves that claim to be stock for the 2000 cr250, they arent the same :roll:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

red line is pvl in case anyone gives a shit :D

coley13

Post by coley13 »

anyone tried the 125 igniton. Looks like the best of both worlds if one was to retard the timing 3-5 degrees.

Does a 125 flywheel physical fit on the 500 crankshaft, i realise the graphs use a 250 stator and flywheel. Is there a reason for that? Secondly if a 125 flywheel does fit what negative affect would that have? I guess less crank inertia is a good thing for a 500 especially pushing into corners but could going too light increase stalling?

Does the 125 flywheel stator fit? keen to here some feedback ?
Last edited by coley13 on March 4th, 2011, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

ive got a 2000 model 125 stator and flywheel. bolts up, has a plug like the 2000-2001 cr250 cdi.
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

the cr125 flywheel and stator would have to be used as a matched set if it does work.
The flywheel is clocked differant because the pickup is mounted in a differant location and it did not seam to work real well with the wire routing so I have never tried running it.

I run the cr125 box and like it.

and roost your coment about the differant cr250 timing curves probably refers to the Kart website that has a guy from england that posted differant numbers than mine.
I can not explain why his are differant than mine but I have even degree'd my flywheels and checked timing and used the timing/rpm feature on my timing light which is designed for 2-strokes and both procedures netted the same result.
I posted everything with the best of intentions so if it can be proven wrong I have no problem changing or removing my results.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i havent got them to check either, just seeing different curves, and the Dyna ignition that comes with "stock" curve files is different again :roll:
coley13

Post by coley13 »

regarding the 125 flywheel pickup, some kart guys remove the woodruff key for tunability, maybe something to consider or have it re keyed..

Anyway keep up the good work, these technical threads are just awesome
coley13

Post by coley13 »

Rsss396, regarding curves. There may be discrepincies in the ignition modules themselves. Looking at a micro fiche they list different part numbers.

My 07 for example has 4 different modules with 4 different part numbers listed.

Maybe they are country specific, ie fuel quality, emissions, climate etc.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

coley13 wrote:some kart guys remove the woodruff key for tunability
my theory on the woodruff key is that its sole purpose is to make the assembly of ignition system idiot proof to the backyard mechanic. when the flywheel sucks down on the taper it aint going nowhere even with no woodruff key. without that key there would be alot more technical steps involved to reinstalling the flywheel to the correct location. 98% of the general public could never figure out how to get flywheel back to correct location.

pvl rotor has no key because its one extra machining preocess thats not needed and they assume you have the knowledge to setup the timing correct.
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

Ok I did a little closer looking at my 250 and 125 stators
The stators look visually the same as in the pickup location and mounting of the 8 coil stator but the reason it does not mount on my cr500 is because of the location of the rubber seal that is sandwiched between the cover and the case.
It is closer to the pickup compared to the cr250

I had a friend with a cr125 check and the mounting of the stator is differant this is the reason the flywheel is key differantly and would not work on a cr250 or 500.

The cr125 has its flywheel tab advanced compared to the cr250.

I took pictures of the stator and flywheels
the 125 flywheel is on top and both fly wheels are inline together on the keyways

the right hand stator is a RM stator(like a ricky stator) for the cr250

Image: http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... 0_1192.jpg

Image: http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... 0_1193.jpg
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

is the 125 flywheel any lighter than the 250?

i was thinking of doing the 125 cdi on the 99 stator retarded a bit, it looks like it would be close to stock.... closer than the 250 anyways
does it bring the bottom end back? my 250 setup is a little softer down low
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

weight is the same, it is a noticable differance for throttle responce at lower rpms
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i always thought 125 flywheel has different taper. aparently not ?
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

same taper
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

old 125 stuff was the same taper, but shallow. it wouldnt seat as far. The 2000 125 flywheel is lighter than the 2000 250 or 2003 250 flywheels, but almost identical size.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Its another one of those R+D things Clyde, u know, spend the $, figure it out. Not just guess and theorize then talk out your ass.
I likely have more $ in ignition systems than you've made yet this year.

Back to the woodruff key, its not neccesary on the PVL because the mass is close to center, swing it out where theres more intertia on it and its no good. One of the flywheel weight kits that was available for the PVL had instructions that called for a keyway to be machined in the rotor.

The 125 stator is actually a nicer piece, theres no mid harness, so its hardwired from pickup to the CDI plug. Very nice. and they're been reasonable $ to get ahold of.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i thought at one time someone said the 125 had different taper. i could really careless if its the same or not. i just asked a question whether it was the same.

you still pissed about the mccoy dyno that trumps yours by 30hp and 9ft tq ? :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Notta, if I needed to build one like that I would, most guys want something rideable. I've run stuff that makes alot more than I've posted, feels like crap to ride almost everywhere.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

do any of the 125 cdi fit the 99 stator, i got 2 plugs coming out of the cdi, so far it dosent look good
dont want to swap stators as i got lighting on this one
you still pissed about the mccoy dyno that trumps yours by 30hp and 9ft tq ?
what kind of gas/alky/ nitrous, i bet it wasnt just a port job

now that i got it on some dry hills ive been on before i can feel how much more jam its got, pulls a gear higher, earlier, for longer, and revs better, im happy that i spent $1200 on it
4stroke=dead fish