Help Fork 101

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
TJ0214

Help Fork 101

Post by TJ0214 »

This is the first and last time I take apart my own forks haha. What a pain in the ass. So the service manual I have says 525ml for standard. I filled it up but in a picture it also shows that you should be able to see the oil 1 inch below if Im reading it right. I cant see a lick of oil in the top tube. So did I add enough? Should I add more?

1997 Forks
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Are you colapsing the fork and then checking? Did you bleed them? On the cartridge forks, you colapse them and measure the distance from the top of the fork to the fluid.

They make an oil level tool for around $20-$30 but we just used a turkey baster with some tubing installed in the end or hose.

Mark the height you want on the tube, install it in the fork to the mark and draw the excess oil out. When it sucks just air, you're good.

I don't recall it being just 1" though. You may want to double check that but, then again, it's been a long time since I've worked on those types of forks. :?
TJ0214

Post by TJ0214 »

Well Im not quite sure what you mean by mark the hieght of the fork then fill to that? I do have the forks collapsed. I replaced all the seals in the fork so I know it started completely empty.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

We would insert a tube in the end of a turkey baster and mark on the tube whatever the inches from the top of the fork spec was. We would then insert the tube of our home made oil gauge into the fork and line up the mark with the top of the fork. As you draw oil out, eventually you start getting air indicating that you are at the level sought.

Watch the video below. It shows him using a fork oil level tool. Should clear things up. It also shows the bleeding process, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ICr-DO ... re=related
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

suspension is easy once you get the hang of it. having the correct tools makes life easier also. although i didnt get too technical with the oil level, i added the correct amount, then roughly measured it with a tape measure. aint like were pro racers :lol:
TJ0214

Post by TJ0214 »

Well my problem is what are the measurements? What exactly am I measuring with a tape or how much distance for the mark on the tube. Thats what I am missing
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

it was about 6 months ago when i did '98 forks but ill try to remeber. i installed about 3/4 of the recomended amount of oil, then pump them up and down to bleed the air, then collapse them all the way and pour the rest of the oil in, then measure from the top of the tube (while its collapsed), down to the oil. you have to look in the book to see what the distance from the oil to the top of the tube is because i dont recall off hand. this is just me but i honestly wasnt concearned with measuring the oil, as long as i had the correct amount then thats all i was concearned about, i dont need my shit that precise, but you might want yours right on the nats ass :lol:
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i think it's around 90-110 mm air gap depending on preference
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

6" or 150mm is pretty much universal air gap i found on a lot of honda , yamaha and KTM forks i have done

FWIW i am going to use an air gap of around 100mm for supermoto set up on the crf forks of course with heavier oil too